Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

First time I ever installed a cpu was when I tried to replace the core2 duo in my dell machine. I was like "What's this gross pasty stuff on the bottom of the fan? Meh, whatever." I put the new cpu in and installed the heatsink. Without thermal paste.

Ended up returning the Q9650 because it was "defective". Ah, the good old days...

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I built my 1st PC back in the AT days, when the power cables were 2 separate pieces that, while directional, could be plugged in incorrectly all the same.

Plugged them in, incorrectly, power it up and watched the power blow a hole right through the motherboard.

...oops.

I built my first PC back in the 286 days too. I learned a few lessons:

- Turn power OFF, and UNPLUG always before futzing with the insides

- Don't hotplug expansion cards, hard drives, (I did this before even knowing what hotplug was and only managed to blow a hole in one ISA card slot)

- Don't fix the PSU rattling by jamming the fan.

From 486 era:

- Don't fix the PSU fan noise by replacing the fan without first making sure the PSU isn't a problem (this PSU was replaced because after the fan was fixed, the "air compressor" that was used on it to clean the PSU managed to damage the PSU.) Which leads me to

- Hold the fan down when cleaning it, if it sounds like a kazoo, you've destroyed it.

From the Pentium era (before USB):

- CRT monitors can still zap you when unplugged (lan-party)

- The correct way to wire ethernet, before standardized 100mbit and Cat5 cables.

From the late Pentium II/III era (Post USB 1.1)

- Multisession CD's suck, don't make them

- HP's directjet sucks.

The worst mistake still stands as setting up the laser printer shares on directjet and then having it bring down multiple desktops with it, rendering them inoperable. How does that happen? I will never know, but suffice it to say, I really really hate networked printers to this day.

Overall these are just things that were either time or money-losing events that had consequences.

16 minutes ago, TheNewDarkSide said:

I dropped my PS4. Didn’t  break but the fans are loud ?

They're all like that. But yeah my sister dropped my ps4 pro when we were walking out of Walmart when I bought it. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

monitor was off.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Buying an i7 6700k in 2019 and a GTX 1050 in late 2018.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Well to be honest I haven't done much. But I had back then like 4-5 years ago maybe? Not sure exactly but I had a sony xperia S back when sony was Sony Ericsson and what happened is the charging port and cable started having flaws after like 1 year of use. I was also using the phone while charging and what I needed to do to get it to charge is to somehow bend maybe the port as in putting stress on the connector and the port to make it charge and did that for quite a while, and after a while, not only did the screen crack near the port from so much stress but also the phone didn't charge anymore, didn't have the money to repair the port and basically ditched it but has been recently repaired and I hold it somewhere as a memory of my first smartphone. Thank god now we have more reliable ports like USB C or else I might have broken a couple more phones/tablets untill now

Bought an obscure intel nuc with e3815.

That shit is too slow for anything useful.

Buying a 144hz monitor and then running on 60hz for about the next year. Couldent even tell the difference but once i switched it over it looked like a brand new game. Thanks Nvidia.

23 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Me?

When building my current rig, I put a 2600 in an Ass Rock AB350. Now I call it that for a reason. First off, I didn't know that I had to get a boot kit to update the BIOS and when the board didn't POST, ended up RMA'ing basically everything. Got an AMD A6 9600 boot kit, updated the BIOS.

CPU also wouldn't hold 4.25 GHz at 1.44 volts because the board had some stupid 95 watt power delivery limit and was heavily throttling. Which led me to make my own custom VRM cooling solution which ended up killing my GTX 1060 when the heatsink fell on it.

That seems more like ritual suicide 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

When I built my very first PC in college, I was doing an all-nighter to get the build done and was extremely sleep deprived. I ended up screwing the motherboard directly into the case and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the PC wasn't turning on when I put everything together. I looked down and noticed four screws laying around, and quickly realized that I didn't install the standoff screws for the motherboard. To this day that was the dumbest mistake I've ever made.

I bought 9 Apple Xserves because I underestimated the cost of shipping for 450lbs of servers... Ended up being $150 for the servers and $270 in shipping... and you couldn't even install windows on them...
(luckily some friends bought a few and I sold some so I only ended up losing ~$100 and still have 2 1/2 (one is in parts with no RAM or fans)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

broke my cpu while delidding

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

Spent £250 on my first proper graphics card,

had a aftermarket cooler and thermal epoxy glue on the heatsinks for the memory.

after 6 months the card started artifacting so had to put to stock to RMA it.

Managed to get all the heatsinks off

last one was a little harder...put a little more pressure on and POP!!! ripped the memory chip off the gfx card !!!. 

Eventually got the heatsink off the chip and glued the chip back on the board lol.

surprisingly the gfx card still worked but with artifacting.

Sent to RMA and they didn't say a thing.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

One of these three:

-Trading my first computer, an IBM XT, for a 286. I started to miss the XT because it was pieced together from parts in my grandfather's workroom in the early 90's, the first computer I ever built. It also had a legit Hercules card in it, and they're worth a little coin to the right person these days.

-Trusting WD hard drives were still good after they dropped their lifetime warranty, lost thousands of photos and some school projects. (Backups are important too) I only buy Seagate platter drives now and I've never had one fail.

-Buying a 7600k instead of a R5 1600 when building a computer a few years ago, now I've already relegated the 7600k to a secondary computer.

Bonus, or maybe not: Buying a K6-2 550mhz to replace a 350, then discovering my board only supported up to a 400. It's still sitting in the tray I purchased it in all these years later.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now. Knocked my Logitech G903 on to the ground, and one of the modular buttons fell off. Cannot find it ?‍♂️

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

just a memory of when i was really small, about like 7 or 8, was taking apart this old compaq computer cuz it didnt work, thought i could fix it by replacing the hard drive, had no clue what i was doing. I remember my uncle coming along for some reason and he just came and said he'll help and yanked half of the cables out - i could not for the life of me figure out how to put them back in. I ended up taking the cpu out while trying to put a wire in? im not sure i only remember glimpses. I always think of it time to time whenever i build a pc.

My worst tech mistakes over the last decade are.

1.) When i first did watercooling youtube didn't exist, i added the inhibitor formula to regular tap water and here in Australia that means floride and other stuff in the water.

2.) Buying a Zalman Power Supply, i will never complain about coil whine of a product ever again, even though my GTX1080 has a soft coil whine this this PSU was like a trumpet.

3.) I bought a Radeon Graphics Card in the early 2000's because it was better performance, it did outpace Nvidia at the time but the Drivers was horrid, endless flickering in games and game crashes.

4.) Decided it was 10 years on and surely Radeon had lifted it's game i bought a Fury X Graphics Card, Maybe it was called that by how angry it made the user?

First one was DOA not a good start, Second One would crash if the temp went over 45C for any reason, so in summer even with the water cooling system it would die.

Conveniently GTX1080's were coming out soon and pccasegear allowed me a credit from these issues to buy an Nvidia.

Good news the Drivers were great and no software glitches in games apart from the hardware failures.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

It was the first Flatscreen LCD TV I bought, maybe 6 months old. I had to store it while my floor was getting fixed, so I put it panel-side down on the top of my kitchen cupboards. A month later when I took it back down, the whole screen was cracked.

Warranty didn't cover it. ?

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

Installing arch.  HOW DEEP DO THESE RABBIT HOLES GO?!!?!?

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

• 1 month later...

We all do it. We do things we shouldn't in the name of convenience or laziness that we really shouldn't. Confess your bad tech behavior so we may learn from each other's mistakes

I'll start.

I've been using the same password for free online games since the year 2000. Newgrounds, Kongregate, Adventure Quest, Mech Quest, Neopets, and any other website I didn't need a credit card for and had connected to my "free online games email address" has used the same password for nearly 20 years. IDGAF, password security is for stuff I care about or have to pay for, but for flash titles that are just time wasters, I'm really not all that concerned with security or remembering multiple passwords. If my account gets hacked I'll just make a new one and have the fun of playing all over again.

I refuse to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm holding out on Windows 7 forever and just downloading things to a thumb drive off my Linux laptop if I really need to go online after EOL. All my stuff is old and I don't want to wonder if 10 will bork it or not. If I buy a new machine it will be a Mac or I'm running Manjaro for that sweet Linux gaming because I hate the direction Windows has been going in.

Rather than investing in additional and proper cooling solutions, I just put a box fan on high next to my open case and it seems to work just fine.

Due to sheer laziness, I refuse to install anything other than Steam as a launcher. My games and apps either load on their own or they don't get put on my system

I can't be the only one here who does bad tech things.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

1 minute ago, The_Prycer said:

I hate the direction Windows has been going in.

Could you be a bit more specific?