Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I bought a 300€ Motherboard and paired it with a 100€ CPU when I first build my PC. Now that's some value there.

I built my dad a PC and after a a week or two he came up to me and said he liked having a desktop, but noticed it was more sluggish than he'd expected. So I went to look at the usage and the temperatures and saw that the temperatures were way through the roof, over 90 C. I opened it up and saw I had actually not mounted the cooler completely, one or two of the four mounting things were loose which meant the cooler was not actually connecting to the CPU enough. It's a wonder that 1) the cooler didn't fall off and destroyed the motherboard and 2) the processor didn't completely fry itself. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

20 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I bought an Asus B350 motherboard. Do i need to say more?

Did the same thing, except it is still somehow working. I broke a single pin, as such it was either a power or groundpin.

Yeah it works, but a usb port doesnt and Im worried that the pins that are left over will fry something

3 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

Yeah it works, but a usb port doesnt and Im worried that the pins that are left over will fry something

Domt think you should worry too much about that. As long as they arent physically touching, you should be good

I built my brothers PC and... get ready for this... my friend sold me a mini ITX mobo (which are insanly tiny by the way) and I already had a FULL ATX case so, if your wondering what happens when you try to build a PC with a mini itx mobo and a full tower case, S##T HAPPENS. so yeah, my PSU is being held up some card games, and the power cord is going through a graphics cards IO slot :) :) :) it also looks so ####ing ugly omg

25 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

When i built my first PC, it was made of absolutely junk parts, an i7 930 8gb ram, and a GTX 295, now this may not sound like much but I saved money being 13 by sourcing old junk hdd's and i had some combination of sub 100gb hdd's.

I think at one point i had 6 or so hdd's and still managed less than a tb, the mistake i made was not securing ANY of them. this led to them floating around when i moved it one time and it slapped my 295, next boot only one GPU was detected. 

At this point the GTX 480 came out and i just opted for that.

gtx 295 is actually funny, I have the 275 and these cards were like the flagships of the time so they are actually not that bad for light gaming i was really impressed by mine lol

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Domt think you should worry too much about that. As long as they arent physically touching, you should be good

The pins broke off and are somewhere in the case :/ 

on the day i bought 780ti, the vendor warned me to wait as there's 900 series coming, i was like yeah right, like nvidia gonna skip 800 series. 
came home assembled in joy by 8pm, go online and sees Nvidia announces 970, and 980 cards which was everywhere leaked before hand. 

image.png.f9993ecdb141b03efa147d96e19c2db9.png

image.png.5b0976707a8a161088d3fc2cfeda8a10.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, James the Broke Gamer said:

gtx 295 is actually funny, I have the 275 and these cards were like the flagships of the time so they are actually not that bad for light gaming i was really impressed by mine lol

I literally only played f2p titles, and it required a modded bios to work at all on the 295 with dual GPU's (SLI wouldn't detect through a single slot)

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, Emanbaird said:

I literally only played f2p titles, and it required a modded bios to work at all on the 295 with dual GPU's (SLI wouldn't detect through a single slot)

ouch :( 

5 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

The pins broke off and are somewhere in the case :/ 

Probably fine. It hasnt died yet, that is a good sign

I fried a server motherboard putting it in a standard ATX case. It was was an ATX board but an unused standoff was pushed into the back of the RAM slots...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

-= Merged threads =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

i plugged my HDMI cable into the motherboard instead of the vcard and worry for a day why there was no display

This one is gonna be embarrasing. I had been researching a lot about PCs and stuff, and had planned to build one for a while now. So, I got the parts and got ready to build. I set up all the tools and parts in my room. Upstairs. The 2nd floor has carpet. You probably know what follows. I had just finished mounting my board to my case, and was installing my graphics card, when I shocked my graphics card. It hurt my soul how stupid I was, thank god I didn't kill it.

3 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

This one is gonna be embarrasing. I had been researching a lot about PCs and stuff, and had planned to build one for a while now. So, I got the parts and got ready to build. I set up all the tools and parts in my room. Upstairs. The 2nd floor has carpet. You probably know what follows. I had just finished mounting my board to my case, and was installing my graphics card, when I shocked my graphics card. It hurt my soul how stupid I was, thank god I didn't kill it.

oh wow,  nothing at all was damaged ? 

never had a static discharge so dont know how bad it can affect components

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Just now, Tamesh16 said:

never had a static discharge so dont know how bad it can affect components

ESD(electrostatic discharge) is lethal to components.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Tamesh16 said:

nothing at all was damaged ?

No, not as far as I can tell. I think I actually discharged on the copper heatpipe that I was touching.

1 minute ago, Apex_X said:

No, not as far as I can tell. I think I actually discharged on the copper heatpipe that I was touching.

oh, i guess the large metal tube spread the charge so it didnt jump to the pcb and damage anything 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

On 2/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, James the Broke Gamer said:

I built my brothers PC and... get ready for this... my friend sold me a mini ITX mobo (which are insanly tiny by the way) and I already had a FULL ATX case so, if your wondering what happens when you try to build a PC with a mini itx mobo and a full tower case, S##T HAPPENS. so yeah, my PSU is being held up some card games, and the power cord is going through a graphics cards IO slot :) :) :) it also looks so ####ing ugly omg

Wut? Cases and boards all conform to standards. An ITX board will mount in an ATX case just fine, maybe shuffle a few standoffs. I've got an ITX board in an mATX case currently for my test bench without any issues.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:41 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Bought a Cyrix CPU.

On purpose.

/thread over

Oddly enough I watched a video about their CPU's and their performance relative to their peers and they did have some good processors for the time when you took them on balance of cost/flop. I wouldn't call that a fail, if you'd bought an IDT Winchip well then that would be a fail.

23 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

When I was a wee lad and a bit of a bastard my father had an Apple IIC+ with the full megabyte of RAM (he always pointed that out). He was writing his dissertation on it, for a long time, I mean for years well past when we had a Windows 95 PC even because well he was literally married to that format. Eventually he printed the WHOLE thing to that point and paid someone to type it all into a PC and put it on a 3.5" PC compatible floppy in some PC compatible format. Anyway, I learned about static having a good background in science at a young age, I also learned that the cleanest carpet in the house was in the formal dining room turned office and that the cleanest carpet made the biggest baddest sparks. So I go shuffling all around and sneak up and SHOCK ATTACK! WHILE HE'S TYPING/TOUCHING THE APPLE IIC+ WITH FULL MEGABYTE OF RAM. It freezes solid. He powers it off, and back on, it's fine, but all the unsaved work is gone. I keep doing this, sneaking up and zapping him, somehow that damn thing was ESD proof.

Anyway, I seem to recall screwing around with some motherboard from PCChips decades ago, that was some kind of nightmare that luckily has faded from memory.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, Bitter said:

Wut? Cases and boards all conform to standards. An ITX board will mount in an ATX case just fine, maybe shuffle a few standoffs. I've got an ITX board in an mATX case currently for my test bench without any issues.

yes it fits ov course and screwes in and everything, but the PSU is old and the cables are hella short

I was living in another country and forgot to flip the switch to 230v on the power supply and my system went POP with smoke when I powered it on.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

My biggest mistake was that if i remember (1) not configuring RAM channel and model with respect to mother board configuration.

(2) of course power supply problem it was my biggest and dumbest one in all of my mistakes