Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

PC wouldn't turn on, despite trying everything. I stripped it completely and reassembled it. 

Power chord wasn't plugged in the wall. Must of knocked it out when I walked past. 

a too small fan on an AMD FX CPU... installed it, and alsways ran at 100% - now it's gone on an intel which it is pretty silent on... - and a monster of a cooler on the AMD.

You are allowed to have animated avatars on LTT, but - try to have images like "userbars" in the signature - no chance...

Excels last cell is XFD1048576 and once was IV65536.

(if you want to have the most effective mousepad - use a colored matte floor tile)

Not knowing that CPU cooler is a must after i had removed it and almost threw it into the garbage, repeatedly trying to get my pc to start and not having a clue why it kept shutting down.

2 minutes ago, Big Boi Lime said:

I dropped my CPU in the toilet the other day...it works fine now xD

Omg seriously?

For me it would have to of been getting then FX6350 rather than spending the extra for an i5 build since the performance was night and day. 

(Alternatively, the BEST decision was happening to get an AMD gpu before Bitcoin became popular many years ago, getting to use it for a bit and sold it for major profit on eBay and turning around and buying a GTX 780)

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

2 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

For me it would have to of been getting then FX6350 rather than spending the extra for an i5 build since the performance was night and day.

Even the 8 core FXs struggled against the i5s. A bigger mistake would have been upgrading on AM3+ and staying there for over 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

GTX 780

I run one in my main rig, it's a beast.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Even the 8 core FXs struggled against the i5s. A bigger mistake would have been upgrading on AM3+ and staying there for over 2 years.

I run one in my main rig, it's a beast.

I was glad to have upgraded at the time to get the i5. Made a world of difference. Ended up trading that rig (which I had a 1080 then) for a MacBook Pro. I actually felt I came ahead since most of the components outside the GPU were a bit dated and I got one of the newer models with a warranty on it. So win for me, and now I'm building another PC with the Risen 5 this time since AMD seems to have learned from their past. 

One the other note, I did LOVE that 780. Ended up later on getting 2 of them for SLI. I kind of want to get a used one again just for old times sake. 

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, Psybadek said:

One the other note, I did LOVE that 780. Ended up later on getting 2 of them for SLI. I kind of want to get a used one again just for old times sake. 

I got mine from my friend, I could probably still push 1080p144 with it if I pushed it.

He moved up to a dual 3440x1440 setup, and replaced his 780 with a 1080 SLI.

Ryzen 5 is amazing, I've got a 1600 in my rig. I'm thinking of building a Zen 2 machine this year and keeping my current rig as a streaming box.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I got mine from my friend, I could probably still push 1080p144 with it if I pushed it.

He moved up to a dual 3440x1440 setup, and replaced his 780 with a 1080 SLI.

Ryzen 5 is amazing, I've got a 1600 in my rig. I'm thinking of building a Zen 2 machine this year and keeping my current rig as a streaming box.

Nice! I'm excited for the last few parts for my new rig to show up. I went with the 2600 and now I'm just waiting for the GPU and RAM to show up. I have a few other things but it's not detriment to getting the rig up and running. This time instead of going with a high end build I'm going with a mid range build so I'm getting more parts from companies I've typically never heard of or used before (Like red dragon for the mouse and keyboard.) I will have a post in the build log once I get everything.

Just now, Psybadek said:

Nice! I'm excited for the last few parts for my new rig to show up. I went with the 2600 and now I'm just waiting for the GPU and RAM to show up. I have a few other things but it's not detriment to getting the rig up and running. This time instead of going with a high end build I'm going with a mid range build so I'm getting more parts from companies I've typically never heard of or used before (Like red dragon for the mouse and keyboard.) I will have a post in the build log once I get everything.

5 years ago, I'd have a pretty high end machine except for the lack of SSD and only 8GB of RAM.

I'd probably still aim for Ryzen 5 with Zen 2, but that would be quite an upgrade from what I've got currently anyway.

5 years ago, I'd have a pretty high end machine except for the lack of SSD and only 8GB of RAM.

I'd probably still aim for Ryzen 5 with Zen 2, but that would be quite an upgrade from what I've got currently anyway.

Depending on how things go with the 3000 series I may upgrade to it in the future especially if they stick with the AM4 platform. For now though I know I feel for $150 I felt I couldn't go wrong with the current Zen+. I feel it was worth the chance and getting it now and then seeing what Zen2 has to offer. 

Just now, Psybadek said:

Depending on how things go with the 3000 series I may upgrade to it in the future especially if they stick with the AM4 platform. For now though I know I feel for $150 I felt I couldn't go wrong with the current Zen+. I feel it was worth the chance and getting it now and then seeing what Zen2 has to offer. 

I thought about Zen+, but Zen+ is really only better than Zen clock for clock. Plus I wouldn't notice a real performance difference since I only play at 1080p 75Hz.

I thought about Zen+, but Zen+ is really only better than Zen clock for clock. Plus I wouldn't notice a real performance difference since I only play at 1080p 75Hz.

It worked for me since I only had the MacBook and the Hackintosh. I actually was back into console gaming for awhile but got fedup with it and sold everything to build this new PC. (Plus I needed a place I could use to study for certifications)

In your case it would make since to wait especially with the potential for how good Zen2 will be in comparison to any CPU on the market when it releases.

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

It worked for me since I only had the MacBook and the Hackintosh. I actually was back into console gaming for awhile but got fedup with it and sold everything to build this new PC. (Plus I needed a place I could use to study for certifications)

In your case it would make since to wait especially with the potential for how good Zen2 will be in comparison to any CPU on the market when it releases.

That, and I'm looking at getting into streaming sometime anyway and it would be nice to have a solid streaming box :D

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That, and I'm looking at getting into streaming sometime anyway and it would be nice to have a solid streaming box :D

Nice! I thought about streaming but my schedule wouldn't allow me to be consistent with it. If the specs for Zen2 pan out then you should have a very good streaming setup for a solid price. (Plus if that R9 is true you have a solid upgrade path!

9 hours ago, Psybadek said:

This time instead of going with a high end build I'm going with a mid range build so I'm getting more parts from companies I've typically never heard of or used before (Like red dragon for the mouse and keyboard.)

Red Dragon's a pretty solid price to performance brand.

I'm using their K552 keyboard right now, and it works great.

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

The worst tech mistake I made was buying prebuilt OEM PCs. They cost so much and yet offer very little upgradability, and are generally a ripoff for the components they contain.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 hours ago, xKyric said:

Red Dragon's a pretty solid price to performance brand.

I'm using their K552 keyboard right now, and it works great.

That's good to hear. I was mainly going with them because of the aesthetics for the theme I'm going for. Good to know they are a good brand as well!

On 1/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, OnyxArmos said:

Omg seriously?

yeah, complete brain fart on my part, needed a bit of tissue for getting the thermal compound off, decided it would be a good idea to take the CPU with me and my hand forgot how to work...heart never sunk so hard in my life.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was cable managing to try to prevent GPU sag I somehow managed to break some USB 3.0 pins. Not just bend,but break them off and now they are floating around in my case waiting to short something out. I'm very young and naive and very scared to make mistakes, so this was pretty devastating to me.This was a build for my brother and I feel absolutely terrible for making this mistake. I feel like an absolute failure. I've always been afraid to make mistakes but this one made me very sad. I'm wondering if you guys could help me out by telling me your worst mistakes that had happened during a pc build.

i know someone who fried their entire setup by somehow plugging in the motherboard wrong... (not sure how you can do this with just a 24pin connector) but they fried the entire computer. from the motherboard, cpu, ram and gpu to the hard drive and monitor. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

I bought an Asus B350 motherboard. Do i need to say more?

10 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

When I was cable managing to try to prevent GPU sag I somehow managed to break some USB 3.0 pins.

Did the same thing, except it is still somehow working. I broke a single pin, as such it was either a power or groundpin.

When i built my first PC, it was made of absolutely junk parts, an i7 930 8gb ram, and a GTX 295, now this may not sound like much but I saved money being 13 by sourcing old junk hdd's and i had some combination of sub 100gb hdd's.

I think at one point i had 6 or so hdd's and still managed less than a tb, the mistake i made was not securing ANY of them. this led to them floating around when i moved it one time and it slapped my 295, next boot only one GPU was detected. 

At this point the GTX 480 came out and i just opted for that.

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard