Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

As a schoolboy back in the mid 90's i bought a 486 DX4 120 MHz along with a VESA Local Bus (VLB) Mainboard, a VLB-Controller-Card (for IDE, Floppy, COM, ...) and VLB-Graphics-Card. Sadly the mainboard never worked. Three months later i bought a PCI-mainboard which worked like a charm - but was still stranded with the VLB-components!

I used an Transcend 32GB SD-Card in my digicam. Worked fine for several moon's but simply died one day. The card wasn't even recognized anymore and the images of course lost. A common Transcend problem as i later found out. From this day on, only Sandisk for me!

The most recent worst purchase must be the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Didn't like what Samsung hat done with Android, it felt slow and it was to bulky. It practically lied around for a year! Sold it for half the price and replaced it with a Nexus 7 - which i love and use almost daily.

lol, I can almost make a word for the people who hate Apple-lovers :P

Seriously things are only getting worse :P

Ontopic:

The worst computer-related purchase is the Logitech G500 for my gaming rig, it's both, the best and the worst I've ever bought....

The shape, button placement and amount of buttons on the mouse is just a GENIUS combination, but there is an unstable laser inside of it, and it doesn't react normally to several surfaces like a optical mouse would do, I can't use it on my Razer Goliathus Control edition.

It looks like Logitech reproduced the G500 with a better and more stable laser sensor in it, and also the G500S which has special surface materials and stuff, so yeah I think I'm gonna buy another G500 soon............

I have that one too and I must say I cannot imagine a better mouse.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

XFX Radeon HD 7970 Dual Fan Black Edition (Ghz Edition)

I got this for 350€. XFX silently changed the VRMs to some cheapo non-adjustable ones. I wanted it to be silent and added an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970, so it runs decently fast (1 Ghz) and pretty quiet. I didn't want to OC it, but I would't have bought it, had I known...

At least I had luck and got no coil whine. But I never saw something like: "Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" on my Intel/Nvidia machine.

I think I will go for reference boards from now on.

nothing really bad, although there's a few products that have annoyed me quite a few times...

gainward geforce 560TI golden sample (or something like that): could hit 100 degrees, or sound like a tractor, nothing inbetween. replaced it with a 7950 on sale, after i sold the 560TI i calculated that the 7950 cost me less than 10 dollars, just because of all the games i got for free  :D

corsair dominator ram: you'd expect ram with such heatsinks to run properly, but with 4 dimms, they overheated even at stock speeds  :huh:

my m-atx z77-maximus board: died two days ago, about two months after purchase  :blink:  although that's probably just bad luck, i don't blame asus... gonna return it next week  :P

acer aspire 5552g: dumb thing ran at 93 degrees during gaming no matter what, lagged like shit due to bloatware, and touchpad just randomly died... traded it to a friend for a gt610 i'm using in my moms pc  :)

best purchase ever: my macbook pro 15" retina  :wub:  best laptop i've ever had, although it was a gift from my mom  :lol:

My Blackberry 9500...god i hate that touchscreen (it like pressing a button they say - i will say it was a MISTAKE).

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

I have one, it's actually not bad.

Yeah card is good, but my timing was bad when I bought it. I didn't follow any tech stuff at that time and 600 series got released same time when I bought that 560.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

sparkle gtx 570,with stock speeds cant run any "good" game under 83 C

Same thing with EVGA GTX570 Rev.A, now watercooled at 40 C

And a Seagate SV 35.5 1TB turned off itself sometimes, send it back and got a repaired one, same thing, works now good in pc of my father and i buyed a Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Yeah card is good, but my timing was bad when I bought it. I didn't follow any tech stuff at that time and 600 series got released same time when I bought that 560.

I know that feeling. I got my R3 back from RMA and got to build in it a week before R4 came. (I'm lucky though, R4's reset on top is terrible.)

I'm not saying my 560 is flawless. Before every game I have to set in nVidia Inspector to max. preformance.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

my PS3 and wii were horrible purchases:( although i did have quite a bit of fun with them back in the day. another horrible purchase wahs buying an antec case with a built in PSU, both were horrible and i ended up buying a new case and PSU seperatly..

Corsair TX750M ...RMA it three times... alway got a new one but the thing has never stopped coil whining!! I returned it and bought fanless seasonic 80+ platinum instead and again whine ass hell... after two months of running my rig on two ten-years old 350w fotron PSUs (because of RMA delays) I finaly end with Be quiet! dark power pro 10 and now my ears can live again :D

NZXT Phantom is awesome though... 

I assume you don't own it then, since:

it's impossible to fit an 8 pin power cable through the 8 pin cutout with a motherboard installed

the rubber cable grommets leave a weird black residue on your hands when you touch them

the grommets come out of the holes if you put any significant amount of force on them

the cable routing holes are pretty small

the side doors are way too flexible and vibrate sometimes

the 5.25" bay door vibrates easily

the fan controller is near useless

only 7 PCIe slots and not enough space to hang a fourth graphics card off

CPU backplate cutout is too small

The hard drives are spaced out really badly if you are using corsair SATA power connectors

no front intake dust filters

airflow is mediocre if you don't want to use side fans

Oddly enough my corsair 800D... For somes reason m. Case came with no instructions and i didn't see the right angle sata adapter for the hot swap bay. I put the cover on the back of thr hotswap, destroyed my cable and the hotswap connection.. 3 months after building loud annoying elictrical noise coming from case, and tons of vibration. Fed up i bought a fractal design r4 white window edition and now my pc is silent compact and has no annoying vibration

My worst was probably my i5-2500 a year or so ago. Sure, the actual processor isn't bad, but looking back at it, I just wish I had bought the unlocked version for not much more.

HP G70-212EM

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 770 Direct CU II OC | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX | PSU: Coolermaster G750M | RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB 1600MHz | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Storage Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Green 1.5TB | Case: Nzxt Phantom 410 (White, Black Trim) | Lighting: 30cm Blue LED | OS: Windows 10 Pro<p>

iPod touch 3rd gen. It lasted about six months until the screen stopped working and when I tried to fix it, the entire thing completely stopped working.

"No signature"

A 450 watt PSU, 2 months later i needed more power. Waste of time and money.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

My Current computer
Acer Aspire X3470, Never letting other people choose my pc again. Saving money to build my own one

My worse purchase was a HP  Pavilion p6205uk for 767.70 dollars ( Which is a rip off ) and it has a celeron E3200 and it had Intel G41 integrated

graphics and that time I didn't know anything about computers and I just wanted a computer but didn't know I would game in the future. 

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

It was only 3 bucks, but still.... It's a wire stripper from ebay and it is just unusable. The concepts seems great, but it's very difficult to tune to your wire

Rotary%20Coax.%20Cable%20Stripper%202%20

You got that brand new or second hand?

new

servers at EA = F*CKED TO OBLIVION

A thermalthake cooler, to mount it on a sabertooth z77 whit the lga 1156/1155 mounting hardware i had to take the dremmel out and grind a side of the backplate. It was hitting 4 litle smd components on the back of that mobo. (Yes i had it the right way up)

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

iPhone :(

CPU: R7 1700 GPU: GTX 1070 RAM: 32GB

I mean they aren't the worst though overpricedish :P

No, I'm sorry. They're really that bad.

An XFX 7300gs 6 years ago... I paid 90 bucks for that crap, and it overheated with just browsing the net...

2500k@4.5Ghz w/ CM Hyper 212+@Push/pull - Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz - EVGA GTX670 2GB - MSI P67A GD55 B3 - OCZ Agility 3 60gb - 500gb HD502HJ + 1.5TB HD155UI Samsung - Cooler Master Silent Pro M850W - Cooler Master HAF922 - Microsoft Sidewinder x6 - Mx518 - Edifier E3100 - SAMSUNG P2370H || PS3 Slim 160gb

An HD6990. Cracking performance, unbelievable quantities of stutter.

GT630 4GB.

OMG do they really make such ridiculous versions of it? loool.