Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Wanted to play BF3 on ultra, they told me to get a GTX 550ti some weird 4GB VRam edition( plays BF3 on min settings @~30 fps ). Never bought anything again there, but found LTT when I looked up for infos about grakas^^

Also my Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 3.6 ( just like IPod but from Samsung ) got it cheap, but died 2 times and also don't wan't to charge from time to time.

Not that bad, but bought my Razer Death Adder 3.5G 4 weeks or some before the 2013 came out. Hate the glossy sides @ the 3.5G

Wanted to play BF3 on ultra, they told me to get a GTX 550ti some weird 4GB VRam edition( plays BF3 on min settings @~30 fps ). Never bought anything again there, but found LTT when I looked up for infos about grakas^^

Also my Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 3.6 ( just like IPod but from Samsung ) got it cheap, but died 2 times and also don't wan't to charge from time to time.

Not that bad, but bought my Razer Death Adder 3.5G 4 weeks or some before the 2013 came out. Hate the glossy sides @ the 3.5G

Yeah. The 550 Ti is not powerful enough to run BF3 properly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Worst purchase was a 250GB external drive from lacie when they first came out, it died a week after and I had some video footage on it, that I had to reshoot for a school exam at the time. Learned to back up things the hard way!

I had problems with a LaCie external drive too, I used to keep everything I had in the external drive, so when it died after 8 months, things got quite ugly... And they have no representation in Brazil. Even after trying to contact the mothership in France, I had no success, not even an answer. LaCie no more!

And I payed more for a USB 2.0 drive, while I could've bought me a 3.0 WD, just because I tought the brand was better.

Definitely my worst purchase...

This rubbish rubber domed keyboard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emprex-5105GU-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B002GP7HTO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368294965&sr=8-2&keywords=emprex+keyboard

After two weeks I decided to buy a mechanical one from Ducky, It wasn't an expensive waste but was RUBBISH!

Got a Ducky Zero with Cherry MX Reds now... SOOOO much better!

OH actually perhaps my ipod touch 2nd gen... too young, naive!!!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Gainward Phantom gtx 580 3gb

-Didn't need 3gb version

-Noise was unbearable.

-7970 launched 2.5 weeks after I bought it.

-Used for 4 months before selling for 50% of what I paid for it.

Gainward Phantom gtx 580 3gb

-Didn't need 3gb version

-Noise was unbearable.

-7970 launched 2.5 weeks after I bought it.

-Used for 4 months before selling for 50% of what I paid for it.

They only sold the 3GB versions.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The XFX 7970 Black Edition,

thing was like a vacuum cleaner even on league of legends, reached 70c, even though I have 5 140mm Silverstone air penetrators in my case....

and the coil whine was unbearable

Needed a mSATA 20GB SSD to stick on my motherboard for caching, purchased a standard SATA SSD labeled as mSATA.

Oh and I purchased Windows 7 a few months before 8 was released. Now I'm on 8 though, so glad Microsoft did that $15 promotion sale.

iPod touch 4G 32 GB... that thing didn't last a day while doing normal stuff and was slow as hell after the iOS 6 update.

I still have a 64GB 4G, used to use it a lot but now I use it as an alarm. Happy with my 16GB 4S though.

I still have a 64GB 4G, used to use it a lot but now I use it as an alarm. Happy with my 16GB 4S though.

Although, I think that'll soon become outdated and slow.

I actually bought Windows Me..

CPU : Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz Motherboard : MSI Z77A-GD65 GPU : MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5 @ 950/1300MHz RAM : Crucial BX Sport 16 GB DDR3-1600 @ 2000MHz PSU : XFX 850W XXX Edition  Storage : Intel 520 Series 120 GB / Samsung 840 Series 240 GB / Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB  Case : Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i

I would not call any of my purchases really that bad, but if i had to choose the most disappointing ones:

Gigabyte z68xp-ud3 rev1. Voltage is just random on this one, if i set something in BIOS, it comes completely different in OS. It might be something bad with the board or smth, but im just generally unhappy i went for something like that and not higher end model. Id go Asus from now on.

Corsair Voyager 3. It just broke, the connector tore apart from carrying it in my pocket. I understand that its mostly my fault for bending it too much in the pocket, but really, from a model designed for travel i was expecting more =\ Didnt even bother to RMA since its kinda cheap. Got a replacement from work  - new 32gigs corsair survivor.

Corsair h100i. Had a grinding noise problem and non working fan controller on first unit, was able to return and get a replacement at local shop. Got the new one which started with a grinding noise again after a while. Turned out the h100 didnt really like my CORSAIR (!) PSU (650 watt CX series iirc, the semi modular one). Had do to use my fractal design fan controller to get the voltage right for it to stop the grinding noise.

NOT impressed with Corsair =\

I bought the ATI Radeon x1950xtx (the first video card to use GDDR4 memory) for $500+. It died after the one year warranty.

Also bought 2GB of OCZ DDR2 RAM for about $200, and price went down to like $50 the year after.

Although, I think that'll soon become outdated and slow.

It's reasonably fast, jailbreaking helps, but it's my first iPhone and it's ridiculous how much better it is than an iPod Touch though, the 5G touch still isn't as good as a 4S.

I bought a 550 ti. Definitely was a terrible idea to go with that over the 560 ti.

I also bought an NZXT phantom. what a piece of crap that case was.

Yeah. The 550 Ti is not powerful enough to run BF3 properly.

Haha, yeah it's not, but i'm still better than so many guys I see with dual 690's and shit :S

Playing @ 30 FPS really makes you better ^^

i think my h80i.....just doesnt want to work properly, i preferred my hyper 212 evo

Bought an Alienware desktop for my 16th b-day.... *facepalm*

At least I learned my lesson... :)

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
    Threadripper 1900X @ 4.0GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @ 3466MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming-X 11G
  • Case
    SilverStone Fortress FT02
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Propellerhead Balance + Bose Companion II + AKG K7XX
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

A manufactured Compaq PC in 2001.  Lasted me until 2002.  Worst customer service/warranty ever at the time.

XFX HD 4350 1gb ddr2 
I had to play every game at res  800x600

CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 955BE | RAM : 8GB | MB : MSI NF725GB-P43 | GPU : Sapphire HD 7790 Dual X OC | Case : Thermaltake V4 BE | HD : 1TB WD | Raidmax RX-735AP 735W

thermaltake fans. loudest whine in history of ever. delta fans, tt headsets.

those are the computer based purchases i regret.

I bought a 550 ti. Definitely was a terrible idea to go with that over the 560 ti.

I also bought an NZXT phantom. what a piece of crap that case was.

NZXT Phantom is awesome though... 

big

NZXT Phantom is awesome though... 

Indeed, the Phantom is one of the most popular cases out there

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

My Asus U45JC laptop. By far.

This thing has great battery life, but that's all it has going for it.

The wifi is intermittent, randomly cuts out or disconnects. I sent it in the Asus 3 times and it has the problem still.

The most annoying thing though is the BSOD's. Usually caused by the WLAN adapter, but not always. It BSOD's (or sometimes just completely freezes without even making it to the blue screen) a few times a day. Sadly this is the only computer I have, have had for 3 years, and will have for probably a few more.

a Nvidia GT630 4GB. Idk what I was thinking as it's just a repopped 530 and low end cards are poor value for money, but it is cool to have more memory on a GPU than a System... in a way... [ as my 7500 GT melted... ]

| AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4.0 GHz, 16GB DDR3 (8GB x3) 1600, XFX R7950 800 MHz, 1TB 7400 64MB , Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Fractal Design Define R4 |

| This user is located in - ~northern England, United Kingdom, Sol 3 |