Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Worst purchase was a 250GB external drive from lacie when they first came out, it died a week after and I had some video footage on it, that I had to reshoot for a school exam at the time. Learned to back up things the hard way!

Thinking my Asus P5QL-Pro and the Gskill DDR2 was a poor purchase.
I bought my pats for a computer in August of '09, and I chose a Q9550. If I had gone DDR3, My computer would have had lasted much longer, and the upgrade from 4gb DDR2 to 8Gb DDR2 wouldn't have been as painful as DDR3.

If I had known better, I'd have gotten an i5 + DDR3

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

By stock cooler I meant the one that came with my CPU. I have the zalman still in one piece in a cupboard somewhere.

No. I meant the stock fan that comes with the Zalman cooler.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

corsair tx750m psu, it said modular on the website, its not, its a standard psu with a few modular ports.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Buying a laptop thinking that it could play anything. Well I guess you can imagine out how disapointed I was when I tried to play Crysis 2 only to have it crash when I got to the main menu. But that laptop has served me well (Asus U43F-BBA7) I still have it replaced the HDD with an SSD and runs really nicely.

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

Mine was my Archos 9 tablet. That thing had a 1.2 GHz Intel Atom and 1GB DDR2 533MHz, running Windows 7 Starter :-(

i7-3960X@4.4 GHz, H100i (W/ AP-15 Fans), R9 290X , 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz, Asus RIVE, CM HAF X

Really bad purchases made by me or people around me were:

- Phobya UC2-LT -> Cracked when heated up and leaked [Me]

- Alienware MX17R3 -> Nothing but overheating, noise, BSOD and probably the worst warranty/support ever considering it costed approx, 3000€ [My brother]

- Eee PC Netbook -> not even 2h batterylife, gets hot, and it's "speed" makes you wanna cut your wrists. [Me]

- OCZ Vertex 2 -> Horrible SSD, mine is somewhat ok, but my brothers died 3x in 2 months until the guy at the store had mercy and gave him a 830 for no extra charge.

- Corsair Force GT -> Bad SSD, no where near the promised speeds. Would never buy a Corsair SSD again.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

An Asus AM2+ motherboard. I cannot say that the board was bad because it performed perfectly with no issues and it allowed me to overclock my CPU, but I've bought it because I thought that my old motherboard didn't support my CPU. I've given it to my friend and he didn't use it for a while since he needed money to upgrade. About a year later we both discovered that my old motherboard did support my CPU, so I have spent £90 for no reason....

Linksys EA6700

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Probably my Logitech G35... I expected more of it...

me2, just bought them used from a guy, they were like new, but the sound quality is not good

Wow! Look at how many people are viewing this topic! Go LTT

When I was 15 I built a Pentium 4 rig one bit at a time with my pocket money and of course as Murphy's Law would have it, I realised both the hard drive and the mobo were DOA by the time I got around to finishing it.

Have always bought everything in advance after that, but never had a DOA since then :lol:

Logitech G13 i have it i dont use iti dont know its just does not give any awesome feeling >_<

No. I meant the stock fan that comes with the Zalman cooler.

If you could I didn't know at the time, it was my first time building a PC.

Apple  ^_^

I had a phase. So much regrets... anyway are you also from Belgium?

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

After a long day in school finishing a group project (I've been there till 5PM) I was too tired to say no to my dad. So, he bought me a pre-built computer with a changed PSU and an added GPU. Since then (December 2011) I slowly spent almost 250€ to make it better (new case, CPU cooler, motherboard, HDD box, windowed side panel...). Also, with it he bought a HP monitor (yes, it was a HP pre-built PC - Pavilion 7300MT). TN, fullHD and overpriced.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

me2, just bought them used from a guy, they were like new, but the sound quality is not good

The virtual surround sound is good, but the quality is just bad!

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

If you could I didn't know at the time, it was my first time building a PC.

Either way, Zalman coolers are horrible to mount.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I had a phase. So much regrets... anyway are you also from Belgium?

hahaha, I hope you learned your lesson  ;) And yess  B)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

corsair tx750m psu, it said modular on the website, its not, its a standard psu with a few modular ports.

Modular doesn't necessarily mean fully modular. Your fault for not doing proper research before purchasing.

My worst purchase is probably the Dell Vostro V131 I'm currently posting this from. A Dell business-class laptop sounded good to begin with, especially on sale with a base model price of $320. A webcam and battery upgrade from Dell, plus a RAM and SSD upgrade on my own looked good to begin with, but the build quality was worse than terrible. Plastic bits were warping and breaking off within a year of ownership and the frame flexes so much that I fear for the motherboard.

Logitech G110 keyboard. Gives BSODs because of the crummy USB implementation which does not follow specs. Keys are super squishy and annoying to type on.

XFX HD5870, wanted to replace the cooler, but the stock cooler's paint had molten onto a coil, and I ended up ripping it off the PCB. XFX obviously did not want to replace anything or take any responsibility. Managed to source a new coil from the coil manufacturer which does samples for their stuff.

Also got a Toshiba Satellite laptop in a trade. It died on me 3 times. All three times the motherboard was replaced. The third time was kind of my own fault, however it was because the repair center forgot to put on the plastic cap that normally sits in a USB plug, so I accidentally put the power plug into it as the USB connector was located nearby the one for power.

I like my g110, but I would get a g710+ if I had the money now.

My worst buy was possibly a Saitek Joystick for 150 CHF (about 140 $) which I used about 7 times and then sold again, because it was just too big for my desk and didn't fit in any of my drawers.

dat cheap PSU as a temp replacement for my 7 yr old 750W dead PSU. Damn thing exploded inside my case, burnt my hands and the wall, and damn near woke the entire village with the sound it made.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Roccat Kova+ mouse about a year back. When I got home I decided to do the Diablo 2 test, front led diodes died 4 hours later. Considering that I got it replaced with Ikari laser for no charge, it wasn`t such a bad buy after all. 

Battlefield 3... DOESNT WORK AT THE MOMENT

You got that brand new or second hand?