Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

letting my dad keep all the pc's in the house running ....
biggest mistake ever.... all of the pcs have been living longer since i got my hands near them :D
oh and im 16 atm

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Before the whole NAS fad took off here I imported one from the US, the US being the US and using 110v and me living in Europe where we use 220v sure did give some nice fireworks. 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

When i was 10 i think we have this old deskop computer that i use all the time. One day it got some random error and the computer shut down. Me at the time have 0 knowledge about computer at all so i though i just kick it until it work again ( brilliant i know). But somehow kicking the pc make it work again so from that point on every time i got a error on that pc i kick it. One day i was playing some game on it and it got a blue screen, i have been playing that game for quite a while i think 2-3 hours of gameplay was lost due to that blue screen so i was very pissed off. I somehow kick the pc so hard that the side pannel broke and the pc fell over to the side. I remember the cpu cooler fan was half broken and most of the mosfet on the motherboard was bent. It was very awkward to explain to my family what happend

lol I did that when I was like 8, I thought computer was "Alive" so whenever my computer was slowing down I was like "Work damnit!" I kicked the PC and it became worse  :P then I became crazy and kicked the PC even more and broke it (just like you the PC fell over) and broke like everything I saw the CPU Cooler fell over and the PSU fell (it was mounted at the top of the Case).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

When i was 10 i think we have this old deskop computer that i use all the time. One day it got some random error and the computer shut down. Me at the time have 0 knowledge about computer at all so i though i just kick it until it work again ( brilliant i know). But somehow kicking the pc make it work again so from that point on every time i got a error on that pc i kick it. One day i was playing some game on it and it got a blue screen, i have been playing that game for quite a while i think 2-3 hours of gameplay was lost due to that blue screen so i was very pissed off. I somehow kick the pc so hard that the side pannel broke and the pc fell over to the side. I remember the cpu cooler fan was half broken and most of the mosfet on the motherboard was bent. It was very awkward to explain to my family what happend

haha, poor pc.I used to something similar with my "peasant" controller when it didn't do what I told it :P

bought a laptop...

duh

np will buy desktop...sometime :P

Glad you have seen the light :)

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

I played fifa on my mom's work laptop when i was 8. R.I.P screen

I didn't know what to put here...

Believed a store clerk who claimed that all laptops have 3-4 hours of battery life standard, and bought a laptop that had 1 and half hours on power saver. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

When I was 10 I had some shitty Compaq PC.... It had an old PSU, so it had a Volt switch.... I didn't know what it was so I switched it to 110 (120) and... "Swshh" It fried... RIP in pieces....

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Inb4 the classic red voltage switch on the psu mistake

Lol

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

letting my dad keep all the pc's in the house running ....

biggest mistake ever.... all of the pcs have been living longer since i got my hands near them :D

oh and im 16 atm

My PCs run 24/7 and have for years before you were even double didgets and ive never had hardware failure other then 1 680 which happened in game as I tabbed out.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

2 worst, wrong mount stand-off, Shorted out the board

Got a full tower (current rig) with SLI, even though I knew I'd have to take it home eventually... Should have went ITX.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Mine would have been probably buying a laptop first, and using whilst in bed, until it overheated and, because it was poorly designed it literally burnt through my LCD cable connection to the monitor.

So the screen just went black it started smoking i started to get a little worried it was going to blow up in my hands, so in the end, i got a portable fan a chair and a laptop cooler pad, i competently removed the screen and panels until it was just a keyboard basically and plugged it into my tv  until i could afford a desktop.

it took two years to get a desktop and that laptop was so ghetto

Treat people how you want to be treated.

:)

Recently this year i bought an HP All-In-One 21-200a... the slowest computer i have ever used and now i regret spending $600 AUD on the piece of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now i am looking to build my own PC after i have saved up enough to pay for all of it I've found a case and that"s all and i was thinking of using the NZXT Phantom 820 but i"m not sure of what motherboard to use and CPU and all the rest of it :(:(  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My PCs run 24/7 and have for years before you were even double didgets and ive never had hardware failure other then 1 680 which happened in game as I tabbed out.

well ... before i started taking care of the pcs ... it was like this :

"DAD!!! my pc is not working correctly"

"Restart it then it will work"

"Ok..."

now: 

i clean all the pcs, maintain them and if there is a problem .... usually never is ... i hop on this forum :D

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I had a usb sound card that had my headphones were plugged into, and since my PC is on the floor, and I have pretty long legs, I bumped with my knee, and completely wrecked the soundcard and the usb port.

Will Barnes

Radeon Master Race Club Member

I plugged a 4 pin floppy connector into a CD aux connector on a sound card when I was quite young. The blue smoke that made the sound card work escaped.

omg, lord linus, praise him!

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

My biggest mistake is on my first ever build I bought the Corsair Air 240 and the MSI R9 270x. The graphics card is wayyyy too wide for the case and the power cables make the window bulge out a load

Current Rig

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0ghz MOBO: MSI Z87m-G45 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v GPU: MSI R9 270x PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Case: Corsair Air 240 (modded) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb HDD: Samsung 1tb Apple Hard Drive Mouse: Razer Naga 2014

Forgot to plug in the cable for my disc drive after doing cable management and thought it was broken...

RTX2070OC 

Accidentally formatting a disk filled with someone else's pictures...

Ohhh I once formatted my mums flash drive with all her university work and various other documents on. She was not happy :/

Thank you.

Wardojack.

Not buying a Coolermaster Haf X when i had the money. I live in a 3rd world country, now Haf X is 4x price it was back then. 

I regret up to this day. Anyway i bought a half priced Xaser VI and feeded 6 Coolers, 6 HDD's, a G1 970 and still have place to dance inside with a few friends. 

Recently this year i bought an HP All-In-One 21-200a... the slowest computer i have ever used and now i regret spending $600 AUD on the piece of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now i am looking to build my own PC after i have saved up enough to pay for all of it I've found a case and that"s all and i was thinking of using the NZXT Phantom 820 but i"m not sure of what motherboard to use and CPU and all the rest of it :(:(  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make a new thread, dont post questions about your own build, on another thread, people will most likely not be able to respond as well, or might just dont want to because its not as easy. Sort your stuff together on a new post and i think people will help you

This isn't really anything too serious but almost 4 years ago I decided not to pay the extra $100 for a Nvidia mobile GPU in my laptop, probably would of been many times better than these rubbish Intel "HD" 3000 graphics, going to upgrading soon anyway.

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

i got a PSU with a cool LED fan inside, but you couldn't see it well with the sides on it.

so i cut the sides off.

accidently put my foot against the heatsink.

shocked the fuck out of me, and flipped the breaker.

thought i ruined the PSU right after i bought it.

later i dipped the PSU in oil. i have put it in 2 other cases after that. still using it.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Hmm, Not getting a Intel CPU since they run less hot then a amd and also my GPU since it is made to run at 90 degrees :/ 

forgot to put on the Cooler for CPU, and accidently ran it for 30 minutes