Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Luckly my friend is building a pc and im selling it to him 

Your friend is building a PC and you're selling it to him, so the computer you are selling needs constructing first?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Your friend is building a PC and you're selling it to him, so the computer you are selling needs constructing first?

no im selling the motherboard because i got it before i made my mind 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

no im selling the motherboard because i got it before i made my mind 

Ahh cool, kind of misleading:P

Thought you was selling the whole PC to him that he was building:)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Ahh cool, kind of misleading:P

Thought you was selling the whole PC to him that he was building:)

no just the motherboard. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Installing Ubuntu, quickly reading through the pages.. accidently formated 1Tb external rather then the 100gb primary drive

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

i was cleaning my PC and i accedently pushed it off a desk, didn't post after that luckily it was only the mobo that was messed up.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Letting a PSU cable get stuck in my GPU's fan, and wondering why my computer was shutting down in the middle of a game :P Luckily the GPU survived!

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I divided by zero...

Seriously though, it would have to be the time I thought a graphics card had died because I didn't push the HDMI connector in fully, then reseated the card, fixed the HDMI cable, and forgot the plug in the PCIe 6 pin, then repeated these mistakes for a good 20 minutes, until I eventually got it right and the card worked. 

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me, only it was with a DVI cable. Now i always tighten the screws on it as tight as they go to eliminate that issue in future troubleshooting. That was the biggest headache I had. Another issue I had was when I accidentally nudged my computer a little too far back, loosening the power cable, proceeding to shut my computer off while my dad was in the room. He was extremely nervous which only led me to be even more nervous thinking that my brand new computer shorted out. Luckily, I just plugged it back in and it worked just fine.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

tricks are for kids

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I used 2 different kind of screws while screwing my mobo to the standoffs. 

I once Bent the pins on my cpu took like 3 days to straighten the pins again to working order (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+).

Also broke the cable routing clamps on the back panel of my corsair c70 just the middle one all the cable management mess.

Cpu: Intel i7 4790k@stock | Case: Corsair C70 | Motherbord: msi z97 Krait edition Ram: Crucial ballistix 16 GB | Video Card: GTX 1080 8GB |

Power Supply: Seasonic 620W Bronze|KeyBord: Corsair K70 RGB (reds)| Mouse: Logitech g502|MicrophoneBlue Snowball|

Spilling soup on my mechanical keyboard.
Took it apart, wiped it down left it for a few days and it now works fine.
I had no spare keyboard so was using my onscreen keyboard (It was so terrible)

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

When I got my first computer, all I did with it was draw things in paint (naturally). One day I couldn't save any more paintings because I had no space left on the disk (it was like a 1gb drive or something running windows 95). I had a hunt around for things to delete - "oh, what's this Windows folder? Full of junk, lets get rid of that!"

It still worked after that! A lot of things broke, but it booted and ran surprisingly!

I bought a GPU that usually cost $250 for $150 at a brick and mortar story I've never heard of before (Altex). 

Turned out to be a very bad choice of the Silicon lottery. Don't get me wrong, it's still running 2 years later, but it gets to 90C far too easily even when underclocked. It's crazy.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Logitech G930 headset fell into tomato soup. Damn you wireless music while cooking!!

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

When I was into Xbox case modding, cutting the wires to the exhaust fan. I forget exactly why I wanted to cut the wires. I think I was trying to hack the fan to run at 12v all the time. Then wondering why my xbox was overheating, after the fan stopped working. I solved it by buying a whole new xbox.

Deleting ntuser because my virus program couldn't scan it thinking it was a virus. I WAS 12 LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

There was once where I accidentally pulled out my GTX 580 without realizing that my computer was in standby mode. It wrecked my drivers, had to uninstall and re-install them.  :mellow:

Cleaning my computer for the first time ended with me bending a bunch of pins on my cpu. After a few months I finally attempted to fix it, and with a one of Linus' videos I achieved what I thought was impossible...and learned a very very valuable lesson.

Probabaly the biggest and worst mistake was installing windows 8. Windows 8 completly destroyed my partition table, so i had to restore about 1,8 TB of Data.

Even Linux didn't make such a mess...

What do you mean exactly? I am running Windows 8 right now, my primary drive has 2 partitions. The 100 MB system reserved and then everything else. My other drives have just the 1 partition. I did do an upgrade from 7 though, so that might effect it.

My most time consuming one was when I got out a dremel, and spent hours tediously grinding away at the hard drive cages of a couple dells, until i realized there was a tab, that you pressed to have them all slide out. The most terrifying time was either when I dropped a stack of motherboards and destroyed two semprons and a pheanom, or when I was case modding with my system still inside, (yeah, stupid, right?) and I drilled through a PCIE 1x slot. It still worked, though!  :lol:

Same story here, tried to open my Dell desktop pc with a screwdriver. When I got all of them screws out the damn side panel wouldn't come off! Wrenched the damn thing with a flat head but it wasn't coming off... Silly me  :huh:

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Same story here, tried to open my Dell desktop pc with a screwdriver. When I got all of them screws out the damn side panel wouldn't come off! Wrenched the damn thing with a flat head but it wasn't coming off... Silly me  :huh:

Are you talking about one of those stupid ones where on the back of the case you have to pull a little lever down and the side panel basically falls off? I did the same thing with one before. At least a good 5-10 minutes were spent trying to get the darn thing off. It had me sweating!

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro