Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch
i thought thehighest one they made went to 3.2ghz stock

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I wanted to clean my computer so i stuck a vacuum cleaner in there and killed my 500GB boot drive, was fine though because we spent the whole day driving around my little town looking for a shop that sold hard drives and found a new one, being about 15 i didn't loose anything important.

how did the vacuum cleaner kill it o.o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Hrmm I cannot think of my worse but I do have a "funniest"

Back in the 90s when there were actual mom and pop ISPs selling dialup I worked for one said company doing admin work.  Myself and another co-worker were in the server room doing something I cant remember and that somehow turned into tackle football.  We came out and my system is the one that did all the network monitoring.  I come out and Whats UP is completely red and screaming.  During the ...... hard work .... we knocked out the internetz!

i thought thehighest one they made went to 3.2ghz stock

There was also a 4.0GHz stock clock version as well.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27510/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-4_00-GHz-2M-Cache-1066-MHz-FSB

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Once when I was a young one, I burned a disc at my computer, ejected it and ran into my brother's room to give it to him. I was in a rush. I ran back into my room to get back to whatever I was doing, didn't look where I was going and promptly sat down on the CD-ROM tray, which snapped like a twig.

Boy did I feel stupid.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Once when I was a young one, I burned a disc at my computer, ejected it and ran into my brother's room to give it to him. I was in a rush. I ran back into my room to get back to whatever I was doing, didn't look where I was going and promptly sat down on the CD-ROM tray, which snapped like a twig.

Boy did I feel stupid.

rofl not as bad as my mate, the moron thought it would be a good idea to use it as a cup holder

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Naming both of my hard drives as "primary active", because then they both try to boot and chaos ensues...and u cant boot into windows so you have to re-install:(  

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Worst I've done is spilling cola all over my laptop when it was a couple of months new.  Probably caused quite a few issues I had with it down the line.

I recently witnessed a 20-pin ATX connector plugged into a 24-pin motherboard.  It was never turned on though.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Installing Ubuntu. When I noticed that wasn't ready for the switch, I put in the Windows 7 disc and tried to install it as usual. Thought it would format the drive for me and everything would be well. Ruined two HDDs that way and swore to myself that I will never try to install any kind of Linux on any of my better HDDs ever again. Would still like to try to get into Linux, but those two failed attempts left a bit of a bitter taste.

Oh and I spilled a bit of Danklorix on my netbook, which broke the keyboard.  <_<

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

i had decided to sleeve my PSU cables and destroyed the cables. and then found out i needed a new PSU because im gonna run sli  

so now i have spent over $500 on just PSUs for one computer in one month.:(

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I recently witnessed a 20-pin ATX connector plugged into a 24-pin motherboard.  It was never turned on though.

Why should that be a problem? I did it lots of times and never had any problems, as long as you are not running any GPU purely from the PCI-E Power...

Installing Ubuntu. When I noticed that wasn't ready for the switch, I put in the Windows 7 disc and tried to install it as usual. Thought it would format the drive for me and everything would be well. Ruined two HDDs that way and swore to myself that I will never try to install any kind of Linux on any of my better HDDs ever again. Would still like to try to get into Linux, but those two failed attempts left a bit of a bitter taste.

Did you just ruin the partition table, or the HDD's physically?

Good news everyone...!

Can't recall the worst right now but on the top of my head I would say Installing a pirated copy of NBA2k13

MS-security essenstials already flagged the crack as a "virus"(rld.dll) but I ignored and spend the next 2 days tracking down why my computer is suddenly slow.

Not only a lesson in computer security but in pirated software as well. So there  =)

how did the vacuum cleaner kill it o.o

I have no idea, was dead after i finished cleaning :P

CPU: Core i7 950 @ Stock Cooled by an H80i with Corsair SP120's in push-pull

GPU: Windforce X3 GTX670 @ 1176MHz

RAM: 2GBx6 of Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

Can't recall the worst right now but on the top of my head I would say Installing a pirated copy of NBA2k13

MS-security essenstials already flagged the crack as a "virus"(rld.dll) but I ignored and spend the next 2 days tracking down why my computer is suddenly slow.

Not only a lesson in computer security but in pirated software as well. So there  =)

Yeah I learnt that lesson the hard way. I installed a pirated version of photoshop that came with four trojans...I ended up reformatting my entire computer.

i5 3570k @ 4.1ghz -- Hyper 212 Evo -- NVIDIA GTX670 -- 8gb RAM -- 128gb Samsung 830 -- 256gb Samsung 830 -- 2TB Seagate 7200rpm -- Phantom 410 -- Leopold TKL Brown Switches -- Logitech G600

I have no idea, was dead after i finished cleaning :P

It's because vacuums create a lot of static electricity while they run, and now that I mention static electricity you understand why.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Not cleaning my computer for 2 years.

I7-2600k (back to stock lol) + Noctua NH-D14 | Asus GTX 560 DC | Asus P8Z68 V/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 Mhz 2x4 GB

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer | ThermalTake ToughPower Grand 750W | LG IPS237L | Razer BlackWidow 2013 | Razer Electra

[WD Caviar Blue 500 GB | Hitachi 260 GB | Seagate 120 GB | Toshiba 300 GB] <Generic mousepad & a wireless Logitech mouse T_T>

Letting someone who can't figure out which button is an ad and which is the real download use my computer.

I truly do worry for those people. It's a big bad world we live in.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I was tightening cables and what not behind my motherboard whilst my pc was on and it pulled out the 8 pin CPU power. Luckily there was no damage :/

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Not my mistake but check this beauty out!

P010513_2036.jpg

Friend walked into the kitchen  and did not realise his GF had been cooking and he put it on the hob!!! Amazingly it still works so i gave him 30 quid for it and the parts to repair are gunna cost me 30 so i'm happy :) 

1. Deleting files trying to update java.

2. Anything to do with malware/viruses.

3. Spilling stuff on laptop keyboard.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Not my mistake but check this beauty out!

P010513_2036.jpg

Friend walked into the kitchen  and did not realise his GF had been cooking and he put it on the hob!!! Amazingly it still works so i gave him 30 quid for it and the parts to repair are gunna cost me 30 so i'm happy :)

Holy crap, that looks scary :D That must have been quite a nice smell too^^

It's a miracle the battery didn't start venting/exploding

Good news everyone...!

If that was my laptop I think I'd be pissed lol

Breaking off the pins on the USB 3.0 connector on my Mobo because I wanted nice and tight cable routing

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K @4.5GHz          RAM: 2x4GB Crucial BallistiX Sport                   Drive: WD 500GB Black

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41                       Graphics Card: XFX HD Radeon 7950             PSU: XFX ProSeries 550w

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R                      CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212             Monitor: Packard Bell 24''

Breaking off the pins on the USB 3.0 connector on my Mobo because I wanted nice and tight cable routing

wow I bet that was a little irritating lol