Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch
3 minutes ago, daveholland86 said:

Watching Linus Tech Tips, now I am water looping a laptop...

RIP sanity!

12 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

RIP sanity!

Right!  I held off for about a month but I am just so curious what kind of results I can get and if I can get it to work.  I stress tested it and got my numbers last night.  Now I am just waiting for my Amazon package to show Thursday to begin.  

On my first ever build, I used SATA drive screws instead of the mobo ones to mount the motherboard. Really forced them into the standoffs, too, for good measure. When I finally realized my mistake, I tried to remove them, but they started taking out the standoffs with them. I had to balance the mobo on it's side with a screwdriver in one hand and a pair of pliers gripping the standoff in the other to get them loose. Really stressful.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

ordering all the PC parts but the mobo (which I figured would come in time before 30 day return is over. Ordered the other parts on June 9th, mobo still not in stock).

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

On my first ever build, I used SATA drive screws instead of the mobo ones to mount the motherboard. Really forced them into the standoffs, too, for good measure. When I finally realized my mistake, I tried to remove them, but they started taking out the standoffs with them. I had to balance the mobo on it's side with a screwdriver in one hand and a pair of pliers gripping the standoff in the other to get them loose. Really stressful.

haha, been there - also happens if you don't tighten the standoffs enough. Now I tend to use a socket driver to get the standoffs in tight, then the motherboard screws can just be turned until they bite.

• 2 weeks later...

In sorry if this fourm is anti swear, but I have to share this. My PC died months ago. I turned it off and it never turned back on again. I've tested everything. Nothing looks wrong. I assume it's internal traces melted. No. I checked the power button. It's fine. ITS FINE. ITS FUCKING FINE!!! It was the power button! After months. I never. Checked. The. Fucking. Power. Button.

I hate myself.

Edited by SansVarnic
Fixed formatting.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

haha you'll check the power button every time now. we all learned the hard way. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Just now, AntiTrust said:

haha you'll check the power button every time now. we all learned the hard way. 

Yep. God damn it I hate myself.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

In sorry if this fourm is anti swear, but I have to share this. My PC died months ago. I turned it off and it never turned back on again. I've tested everything. Nothing looks wrong. I assume it's internal traces melted. No. I checked the power button. It's fine. ITS FINE. ITS FUCKING FINE!!! It was the power button! After months. I never. Checked. The. Fucking. Power. Button.

I hate myself.

happens a lot, its for the best. lucky you didnt go sicko mode and kick it into a scrapbox

😕

1 minute ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

happens a lot, its for the best. lucky you didnt go sicko mode and kick it into a scrapbox

Yes. I am glad. I was reading through the troubleshooting tab, but I saw check the power button. Then I hated my self untill I was able to check it. 

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

1919380502_youredoingitwrong.jpg.661f3fe19dd310015f3df24cdc073ccc.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

This is a non epic gamer moment. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Investing in industrial switches from now on are we?

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

50 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Do you use the power button an awful lot?

Yes. I tend to press it at least twice a day. 

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, NZKshatriya said:

Investing in industrial switches from now on are we?

Yes.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Yes. I tend to press it at least twice a day. 

You can cut it down to once a day by not using the power button to shut the computer down. Should make your power buttons last twice as long since apparently that is an issue now.

I'll have to remember this issue. As you've, pointed out, it can be a tough one to diagnose.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Pro tip, jump the motherboard pins with a coin or screw driver next time.

Cut the button some slack. It's a sleeper that was originally a matx Pentium 4 board from a Dell. The darn power button was over 15 years old. I'll post a link to the rebuild later. But yes always check the power button. I will be posting that on every no power on post i see untill the end of time.

Edit: it is from a Dell dimention 2400.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

screw driver

Exactly what I used

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

I had a power button failing on me twice, but since the button was already sketchy to begin with I fortunately figured that out quite quickly

Just now, NeuesTestament said:

fortunately

No suck luck for me

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler