Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mitch

Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

1 minute ago, Tamesh16 said:

nothing at all was damaged ?

No, not as far as I can tell. I think I actually discharged on the copper heatpipe that I was touching.

1 minute ago, Apex_X said:

No, not as far as I can tell. I think I actually discharged on the copper heatpipe that I was touching.

oh, i guess the large metal tube spread the charge so it didnt jump to the pcb and damage anything 

PC: Alienware 15 R3 , Cpu: 7700hq (repasted with kryonaut) , GPu : 1070 OC to 1822 Mhz , Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, James the Broke Gamer said:

I built my brothers PC and... get ready for this... my friend sold me a mini ITX mobo (which are insanly tiny by the way) and I already had a FULL ATX case so, if your wondering what happens when you try to build a PC with a mini itx mobo and a full tower case, S##T HAPPENS. so yeah, my PSU is being held up some card games, and the power cord is going through a graphics cards IO slot :) :) :) it also looks so ####ing ugly omg

Wut? Cases and boards all conform to standards. An ITX board will mount in an ATX case just fine, maybe shuffle a few standoffs. I've got an ITX board in an mATX case currently for my test bench without any issues.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:41 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Bought a Cyrix CPU.

On purpose.

/thread over

Oddly enough I watched a video about their CPU's and their performance relative to their peers and they did have some good processors for the time when you took them on balance of cost/flop. I wouldn't call that a fail, if you'd bought an IDT Winchip well then that would be a fail.

23 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

This one is gonna be embarrasing. I had been researching a lot about PCs and stuff, and had planned to build one for a while now. So, I got the parts and got ready to build. I set up all the tools and parts in my room. Upstairs. The 2nd floor has carpet. You probably know what follows. I had just finished mounting my board to my case, and was installing my graphics card, when I shocked my graphics card. It hurt my soul how stupid I was, thank god I didn't kill it.

When I was a wee lad and a bit of a bastard my father had an Apple IIC+ with the full megabyte of RAM (he always pointed that out). He was writing his dissertation on it, for a long time, I mean for years well past when we had a Windows 95 PC even because well he was literally married to that format. Eventually he printed the WHOLE thing to that point and paid someone to type it all into a PC and put it on a 3.5" PC compatible floppy in some PC compatible format. Anyway, I learned about static having a good background in science at a young age, I also learned that the cleanest carpet in the house was in the formal dining room turned office and that the cleanest carpet made the biggest baddest sparks. So I go shuffling all around and sneak up and SHOCK ATTACK! WHILE HE'S TYPING/TOUCHING THE APPLE IIC+ WITH FULL MEGABYTE OF RAM. It freezes solid. He powers it off, and back on, it's fine, but all the unsaved work is gone. I keep doing this, sneaking up and zapping him, somehow that damn thing was ESD proof.

Anyway, I seem to recall screwing around with some motherboard from PCChips decades ago, that was some kind of nightmare that luckily has faded from memory.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, Bitter said:

Wut? Cases and boards all conform to standards. An ITX board will mount in an ATX case just fine, maybe shuffle a few standoffs. I've got an ITX board in an mATX case currently for my test bench without any issues.

yes it fits ov course and screwes in and everything, but the PSU is old and the cables are hella short

I was living in another country and forgot to flip the switch to 230v on the power supply and my system went POP with smoke when I powered it on.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

My biggest mistake was that if i remember (1) not configuring RAM channel and model with respect to mother board configuration.

(2) of course power supply problem it was my biggest and dumbest one in all of my mistakes

Buying 4 sticks of vengeance pro rgb ram and found out that the tubing on x52 would block my first dimm slot on my msi z370 gaming pro carbon mobo

And also wasting my money on an antec p8 case, finally swapped it out for corsair obsidian 500d within 8 months 

Buying a $500 motherboard (Z270-WS) for a $400 CPU (6700K)

Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

Professional procrastinator.                                                                                                                                                                       

My many computers:

Main Rig

Laptop

Inspiron 530

Pi 3 B+

98 Gaming

DOS Gaming

Now i need a 07 Mac Pro with a 8800GT in it!

My many computers:

Main Rig

Laptop

Inspiron 530

Pi 3 B+

98 Gaming

DOS Gaming

Uninstalled GarageBand when I was pretty young. Was running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Couldn't just redownload it so I was stuck without it (I actually liked it.) I ended up smashing the screen on purpose and blaming my little brother.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

1 minute ago, Srijan Verma said:

you know we can right-click the link

Or just Ctrl+Click.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

1 minute ago, Srijan Verma said:

ShUt Up! I hAd A lOnG dAy!

jk. although did have a long day.

My many computers:

Main Rig

Laptop

Inspiron 530

Pi 3 B+

98 Gaming

DOS Gaming

I killed a delidded, unglued 4790K by accidentally letting the IHS make contact with the SMDs on the chip.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E | Storage: 256GB SSD, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G

Cooling: Dual 240mm AIOs | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix (BIOS modded, MSI Twin Frozr cooler) Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler Push/Pull | Case: Silverstone GD09B | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors

Server: CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333 ECC | Motherboard: Supermicro X8DAi | GPU: Sparkle GTX 550 Ti

Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler, Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | Storage: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

The Laptops

Lenovo X230: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 128GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Lenovo 44+ 84Wh Battery

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

Dropped an x99 CPU from eye height onto the pins of the motherboard  (accidentally)  Good news though Amazon shipped me a new one  at no cost. 

1 minute ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I killed a delidded, unglued 4790K by accidentally letting the IHS make contact with the SMDs on the chip.

got a refund?

5 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Destroyed a motherboard because I didn´t use the standoffs. This was pre youtube

Haha, I did the same thing about 20 years ago.  Luckily I was able to return the board claiming it was DOA and did it right the second time.

4 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

Middle clicking your scroll wheel automatically opens a new tab ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Friend and I found a broken CRT. We smashed it with a giant rock, didn't expect it to implode as loudly as it did so we took off. Turns out police showed up in the area to investigate possible gunfire lol.