Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

A couple here:

1. I 'wiped' my old white macbook keyboard with a wet paper towel, ended up destroying the keyboard, trackpad, logic board, and yeah..

2. I put a CPU into a system without any cooling, almost ruined the CPU

My 2nd PC ever, did not know my cpu cooling fan failed because of the amount of dust collected.

Thought it was a software issue and tried to reinstall window, took all night and barely got anywhere because it was thermal-throttled to hell.  Credit to the AMD Thunderbird chip survived.

replaced the stock cooler on my r9700 pro a lot of years back, with a Zalman, i think it was called VF700, chipped the core by accident, bye bye Radeon, contacted the company actually exchanged it, even though i was honest about the error.

Removed a CMOS battery whilst PC was on and upright, it fell on the graphics card...…  insert light sand sound affects

Lost the card and the port

This happened at my previous job around 3-4 years ago.

There was an IP address issue with our client's network (we worked at the client's site, btw), but I forgot if it was an exhaustion issue or unassigned IP addresses showing up in the lease table or both. I helped with the investigation, and it turns out that our database servers were the culprit for getting those IPs. Aside from the bond0 interface for the cluster (so that in the event that the primary DB server goes down, the backup DB server will take over without the need to update the DB IP address configured in the applications) that has a static IP address, those DB servers have 2-3 additional IPs assigned on its respective NICs. Being the noob that I was regarding how Oracle DB and clustered database works and probably everything else during that time, I just went ahead and typed "ifconfig ethX down" on the primary and the backup DB servers to disable those NICs.

Few minutes later, the IT staff of our client approached our team telling us that the database is down and the applications stopped working. Turns out that the interfaces I disabled were the "heartbeat" interfaces for Oracle DB which checks if the other server is up, and catastrophe will strike if those interfaces were disabled deliberately. I think we had to restart both servers, which took about 15-30 minutes. Fortunately, all data in the database is intact, and that client is a government-run office so there isn't really any loss in revenue, and I didn't get fired for that. :P

asked my dad where the "any" key was back when I was like.... idk 12? Was reinstalling Win XP. Still remember that shame to this day.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

i think it was with my last built i finished yesterday.

I put mobo in and installed everything and realized at the end that i forgot the io shield. removed everything including mobo put io shield in it and installed everything just to read for the watercooling i need to install a backplate.... so took everything out again.... to realize that the case had extra cutouts to install backplate even with mobo installed...

really felt stupid to takte everything out 2 times for nothing :D

and the cable managment is my worst nightmare.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370F-Gaming | Intel i7-8700K | MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X1 | Thermaltake Smart SE 630W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz | Corsair Crystal570X RGB Mirror | Corsair H100i v2 | 2 x 500GB M.2 Samsung Evo 970 Pro | 1 x Samsung 850 - 256GB | 1 x WD Essentials 1TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Razer DeathStalker Chroma Keyboard | Mad Catz R.A.T. 4 Gaming Mouse | Logitech G430 Headset | Corsair Gaming MM200 Extended Edition |Corsair ST100 RGB Premium Headset Stand

Applied too much pressure on my i7 4790k because it wouldn't fit into the motherboard. Cost me a new motherboard and quite some extra time...

After my first proper pay at the age of 16, I deckded to try out some online shopping. I really needed a new phone and laptop.

So, I bought a phone and laptop...a day later I realised the phone wouldn't work on the 4g network in my area, and the laptop was an ex demo model that had really bad specs anyway.

Thankfully the phone company was awesome and was fine with a return, and the laptop arrived broken (maybe the one time I'll ever say that XD), so I was able to get a complete refund for my stupidity.

I have learnt better since then :P

not testing a hard drive for os. like i should have and it died 3 days later after prev one i had. finale pass away.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

neglecting a perfectly good GTX 780, causing it to die from overheating due to big dust.

Luckily was in warranty and I got me a gud GTX 970 out of the whole ordeal. 

I have done stupid things with dying/dead HDDs. First victim got fried when I tried plugging in power while the system was running. I can't recall what issue it had to begin with, but it was already out of commission at that point (I may have been lucky I didn't wreck anything else)? I was young back then, simply curious and just didn't know any better. I hold on to the drive for some years after this in case I'd some day have another board to try and resuscitate the drive, but that never happened.

This next one is a lot less forgivable since it happened only a few years ago. When my last external HDD died, I once again took the opportunity to do stupid things with it and decided to open it. No, this wasn't the first time I opened an HDD, I already knew how it looks inside. To worsen my chances to ever try recover the drive with board from another one I even managed to twist the top cover while removing it. I suppose a few minutes worth of entertainment is often more valuable to me than the years worth of memories.

You have probably been thinking (if not even screaming) my biggest tech mistake while reading this: not having backups! I admit, I'm guilty. I have recently started taking steps towards rectifying that: I have had my files duplicated on my main PC to two separate drives, and I now finally have a RAID1 in my server. My excuse for not making offsite backups to cloud is the intermittent nature of my subscriptions to any services I'd even consider using for it. On the other hand it's not really like I have extremely important files either, just personal clutter that builds up over the years.

Times I have lost data thanks to neglecting to back it up before wiping a drive are countless, it's usually just things like game save data and bookmarks, but every now and then something harder to replicate gets lost. 

I'll now go to the corner and quietly shame my bad practices. If you throw rotten eggs or something, please avoid the head.

I bought the Audioquest Dragonfly Black thinking it would improve the audio of my iPhone or PC. It didn’t do anything but increase the volume, which may be useful if you have super high end headphones that require a lot of power. But I don’t have that. 

But I learned one thing: the iPhone headphone dongle is an impressive little unit. The audio measures rather well and it only costs about $15. The volume output is just relatively quiet however. 

Blamed everything else for 1.5 years before realising that the Corsair liquid cooling unit had been manufactured with a faulty pump that tripped out after X amount of time / heat / electrical resistance.

Then ... whilst trying to make space in the machine to fix it ... I managed to pull out the port with the graphics card ... 9_9

(Let's just say I won't be buying MSI ever again).

Accidentally deleting stuff. On multiple occasions. :-(

Bought a 2nd hand internal Asus sound card really cheap without really looking at it and what exactly it was. Thought I'd shove it on my gigabyte motherboard as a slight upgrade over onboard audio.

Turned out to be a card that only works with specific Asus motherboards that have a certain port, that isn't quite pci or pci-e. 

Desktop
i5-760: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Asus GTX 760 2gb

Laptop 

i5-4300u: 8GB ram, Intel HD: 128GB: 1080p Touch

• 2 weeks later...

I once spent an entire day trying to connect my PC to the internet via old dialup on windows 98 only to discover that i had forgotten to plug the end into the phone line.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

When I was unplugging the power cable on my build, and accidentally touched the metal prongs as I was pulling it out, dident hurt, but it scared the crap out of me!

Forgetting the process I used to screw in my Threadripper CPU the first time and wasting another 30 mins and tons of effort only to remember I had to do the screws out of order.

I didn't insert my DIMM properly and spent like 5 minutes freaking out while my system bootlooped. Not the greatest 5 minutes of my life.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

When you think something is broken but you didn't switch power switch at the wall.

Magical Pineapples

The Screen Power cable for my Commodore PET 4016 was loose and as a result I wasn't getting any output on the screen.  I tried dialing up the intensity to see if it was just turned down but that didn't work.  I didn't dial the intensity back down when I switched it off and got an infamous black dot burned in the middle of the otherwise perfect screen. 

The good old days of technology... only this was just about a year ago so I don't think I can replace it.

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.