Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Buying a Pre-built
Always pinning my dualcore against at its limit. Gaming at 80-99% CPU Usuage.Reason why I'm always crashing and locking up. Only one BSOD from my hard drive doing something wrong. (Don't remember what)

At school helping someone with a computer since explorer.exe crashed and almost got a detention for it.....

Saw a teacher thinking that if you freeze a video on a projector and do other things the video will stay playing when it is on duplicate..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I once formatted a 120 MB Imation SuperDisk with a regular floppy drive. It became a regular 800 kB floppy.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I stacked my HDD cages on the floor and I accidently stepped on it. 

I'm currently using rubberbands as cages. And I often bring this PC to LANs  :unsure:

Listened to all the "Anyone can build a computer. It's easy" crap. Went together fine. Worked great for around 6 months.

Then I spent the next 5 months and over $200 trying to track down an intermittant power on/power off loop. Ended up replacing everything except the optical drive, hard drive, one stick of ram, and the CPU. Got it working beginning of last month and I still don't know for sure what was wrong with it.

The real problem isn't that I built it, it's that I assumed it would work. At the very least I should've budgeted the money for repairs. Didn't think how hard it'd be to diagnose with no compatible parts to test with or how much money and time it'd take to ship everything back one part at a time.

My friend's dream computer is a $1600 hunk-of-shit mac mini

He is the biggest apple fanboy I know

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

When I was a kid I used to think laptops, consoles, macs etc were better than PCs, and that PCs were for people who couldn't afford them

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

GTX Titan, GTX Titan Black and GTX Titan Z.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

*Bioshock Infinite Spoilers*

Ok so I just found out Elizabeth is Comstock's daughter, but I forgot who Comstock was at the moment, so I googled it up, just to have plot ruined for me (now I know Booker is his son as well...)

Here's somethign "someone" said to me a while ago ,  i don't care what you say what it has, i want what they have

*regarding an old laptop with shitty specs for a new buy*

Details separate people.

Saw a guy defending console gaming. One of his arguments for why pc gaming was dying was because you don't find any PC games on Gamestop anymore. Yep, that's totally makes sense.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Had a bad PC, bought a console as a upgrade, I'm not a smart man..

But now I have a good gaming PC so it all worked out great!

I have this friend who is new to PC gaming and recently bought an Alienware laptop.  When I told him I was putting a $300 GPU in my upcoming build, he said that I would not be able to game.  He thinks you need to spend $600 on a GPU in order to game xD

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Overclocked a GTX 590 (think GTX 480 hot but one tier higher)

Tried to install a graphics card while the PC was running

I was young ;w;

Friend of a friend Bought a GTX TITAN to play BF3 and EVIE at 1080p, turns out HD 7990 and GTX 690 beat it at that game.

Hey bro whatcha DOOOOOOOOIN *Barfs fruit salads on your chest*

i7 4820K / Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ 6GB \ 16GB Corsair Vengeance (4X4) / Gigabyte X79-UD3 \ EVGA Supernova G2 850W / Windows 7 Ultimate / Dell U2412M \

Dat be spooky....my hella rad pootpoot *u*

Done:

I cant remember exactly how that happend. My best buddy and me got high and we started cleaning his PC. Somehow I ended wiring his PWM Front Intake Fan straight into a power source instead of a Fanheader. Frying his complete Fan and smoke everywhere.

Heard:

Someone bought a highend AGP Graphics Card and wonders why it wont Fit into his Motherboard. So he asked people on Forums what he should do. They told him he has to adjust the card for his motherboard i.e. cutting the lane until it  fits.

Seen:

I work in an IT-Department. One of our Customers was a Bankbroker. He called because his monitors stopped working. I got in my car and drove to him. When i got there all i had to do is switch on the fuckin monitors.

Cheers

▼ Im with Stoopid

My best friend bought a used Samsung laptop even tho I've warned him about my horror story with my previous purchased Samsung Chronos laptop. But he completely ignored me. -_-

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

When i bult my first pc i couldn't get the 8 pin PCI connector to fit into my Graphicscard. So i grabbed a knife to cut it to fit xD. Thought again and reread the manual. Turned out it was the 8 pin mobo connector ^^.

People actually downloading ram was abit stupid.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I have a tendency to over-fiddle (lol)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Continueing to use 5 year old hard drives.. Useing a 4 year old 550ti for gaming.... Both my screens are VGA... Ive dropped watter on my drawing tablet.. stil works though

...Oh and ive once forgotten to take off that protective cover that comes with new heat syncs

I upgraded a Dell Precision 670 with an OCZ 120GB SSD, WD 1TB Black, and a Gigabyte 6850....

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

You cannot notice over 24 fps / 30 fps

Why would anybody get an ssd if it only increases boot times by 5 seconds? (facepalm)

(these are things I've heard btw)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I fried my blackwidow ultimate, and I blame water damage. I was eating from a bowl of blueberries without draining the water and I think some of it got into the circuitry, now the lights won't even turn on

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!