Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Not me, but a friend. He has one of those old HP laptops that is notorious for overheating (the base actually melted). Anyways, I told him that I'd help him clean out the fans and re-apply thermal paste. A little while later I get a message from him saying that he did it himself, but it won't turn on. I asked if he had taken proper electrostatic precautions. He had not. He sent it to a repair shop that stated the obvious, but they were able to replace some of the fried PCB's for around $200 CDN. His wireless module still didn't work so he had to get a USB wireless module. He also still has keyboard complications to this day.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I didn't do an integrity check before wiping my drive. I thought I'd made a good backup of my system, formatted, went to recover, and... the backup was corrupt. I had some of my important things backed up on to an external drive but did end up losing a lot of vital data. :(

Are you threatening me?!

Not understanding what the voltage selector on my PSU did many years ago and changing from 230 > 115 BAM! Couldn't hear out of my left ear for a week.

The guy at the front desk where I work (I work in a non-profit computer refurbishing center.) Says in his computer he not only has Dual 8 Core Xeons in his rig, he also has 4 GTX 650's in 4-Way Crossfire (He specificly says crossfire, not SLI)... If that wasn't enough he says it's hooked up to 3 80" 4k TV's... And he games on it... 

It frustrates me so much I want to slap him in the face...

Not building a PC before Steam sale... The wait is killing me!

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Not building a PC before Steam sale... The wait is killing me!

Buy the games without the PC or you'll hate yourself later...

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Buy the games without the PC or you'll hate yourself later...

I've been doing that already, but I'd like to play a recent game even though classics like Max Payne are great.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Some guy who sells computers as his business and overcharges. He has a Intel build for 1,300$ that includes:

Intel Core i7-4770, (unnamed) 8GB DDR3, Asus H87M-E, Windows 7 and a (unnamed) Cooler Master Micro-ATX case + (unnamed) 450w PSU

And charges 80+ per hour it is being built.  :o 

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Completely upgrading my system but not being able to afford a better graphics card, due to becoming a father 3 weeks ago. Feels great. -To be a father that is.

Gtx 670 until I can afford something better (like say, a year from now)

I accidently inhaled a good amount of compressed air while cleaning my PC. Had a massive headache and my eyes really hurt for a few hours.

Also, I power shut-off my PC during a Windows update. Completely ruined the OS, couldn't even re-install Windows. I had to buy another license.

plz dont do that again. you can get addicted to it.

My friend said yesterday that the GPU HAS to be more expensive than the CPU, and when I said I was going for the R9 270, he said that the GPU was bad at gaming and told me to just ask any gamer (wut) and when I asked for the review, he linked me the Newegg OVERVIEW. Then he goes on to recommend me a GTX 770 and GTX 780, as in cards that cost 2 to 3 times as much as the card I want. Did I also mention that he told me to go for 16GB of RAM for streaming?

Switched the power toggle between 110Volts and 230V on a very old PC power supply because i didnt know why its there. Blame 'murica why they need different electric voltage >.>

The rest what happen use imagination...

This is a funny thing i heard , While watching an episode of ALT+TAB show a question popped up on twitter asking Paul & jenny "Hello pale(jenny) & genie(paul) i just wanted to know who your favorite rapper is, twin pack shakker or 50 quids.." they just laughed out straight for a solid minute before getting back on track.. it was funny considering it was a tech show.

Details separate people.

Switched the power toggle between 110Volts and 230V on a very old PC power supply because i didnt know why its there. Blame 'murica why they need different electric voltage >.>

The rest what happen use imagination...

Yeah, I've known other people who did that.

The guy at the front desk where I work (I work in a non-profit computer refurbishing center.) Says in his computer he not only has Dual 8 Core Xeons in his rig, he also has 4 GTX 650's in 4-Way Crossfire (He specificly says crossfire, not SLI)... If that wasn't enough he says it's hooked up to 3 80" 4k TV's... And he games on it... 

It frustrates me so much I want to slap him in the face...

How? What? Next you'll tell me there was no real SLI at all and all 3 screens were hooked up to one card (does nVidia still have that 2 monitor per card limitation? Surely not.)

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Didn't install the RAM properly in my first build which caused my computer to go on an endless restart cycle which made me really scared...

How did you install ram not correct?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

A literally clueless tech guy wanted to buy a pre-build with $600 for gaming and school projects (specs: i5 2320 sandy-bridge,4gb ram,2TB 5400rpm HDD,NO GPU).

I yelled at him not do do it while showing him what he could do with $600.

Buys it anyway.I asked him why did he do that. He replies: ''I wanted to make sure it could be compatible with microsoft office.''

facepalm.gif

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

tried turning my first pc on for the first time by flipping the psu switch on. Got all freaked out that it didn't work

then i realised i needed to press the power button on the case 

post-81583-0-23996700-1403300059.jpg

My Build log of the Satan's Cave PC Desk Project is starting to get in action! Come check it out if you feel like it  :) 

And charges 80+ per hour it is being built.  :o

But it takes like one hour to build it and one hour to do the OS. He must drag it out...

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

But it takes like one hour to build it and one hour to do the OS. He must drag it out...

That's what I think too. What's worse is, he charges 200$ for one 1T drive and then another 100$ to install free software. :lol:  His targets are old people who need computers for office work and convinces them all that they need Titans or 780s in order to do their work. It is sad seeing old people be taken advantage of like this, really sad. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I bought a 660 Ti for a triple monitor setup (5760x1080), it's horrible, I never play a game like this because it's too laggy. The crippled memory bus is what takes it back.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Thought about buying a console instead.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Buying a Pre-built PC

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8