Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Mine would have to be my current case. I bought an Antec dark fleet DF-85 case with the special over sized cp-1000W PSU and two years later I regret it all. I looked around a bit but didn't do much research before i bought it. I am currently now looking at finally upgrading to a nice Corsair case and PSU. So what do you guys regret doing or buying?

Getting high profile ram....I have to bend it quite a bit so that my cooler's fan can fit.

And I have accidentally kicked my case a couple time.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Getting high profile ram....I have to bend it quite a bit so that my cooler's fan can fit.

And I have accidentally kicked my case a couple time.

Haha that made me laugh, "Accidentally kicked my case". For me iy would've been removing the feet from my Fractal Design Define Mini. I removed them because i have a PC stand so they got in the way but now i want to put the PC on my desk but can't because i have lost the god damn feet! So having to buy a new pair but need to make sure they will fit first which is fun =/

I'm an 18 year old Tech Lover and YouTuber from South England. Subscribe here - *Link removed* :D

Put my computer in the back of my truck's cab, its a Ford Ranger, so yeah, limited back space, its like got these little swing out seats in the back. well I put it back there with the front of the pc facing outward, and then shut the door. It didn't shut all the way. Apparently the seatbelt sticking out the door hit and slighty bent one of my 5.25" bay blanks :|

not the worst, but it also annoys me.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I plugged a 4 pin floppy connector into a CD aux connector on a sound card when I was quite young. The blue smoke that made the sound card work escaped.
Haha that made me laugh :D

I'm an 18 year old Tech Lover and YouTuber from South England. Subscribe here - *Link removed* :D

Drinking in front of my computer. Drinking way too much. I had my computer on the floor back then, right next to the table. I accidentally knocked a full 1 liter (33~34 ounces) glass of vodka mixed with cola off the table, and pretty much all of it ended up in the fans on top of the computer, blastering everything around it with vodka and cola for a few seconds before the computer died.

Everything in my old computer died except for my two hard drives. Too bad, that HD5850 was only a couple weeks old =/

Rwa has spoken.

Drinking in front of my computer. Drinking way too much. I had my computer on the floor back then, right next to the table. I accidentally knocked a full 1 liter (33~34 ounces) glass of vodka mixed with cola off the table, and pretty much all of it ended up in the fans on top of the computer, blastering everything around it with vodka and cola for a few seconds before the computer died.

Everything in my old computer died except for my two hard drives. Too bad, that HD5850 was only a couple weeks old =/

Sounds like a nightmare =(

Using tubing which was too big for my whole watercooling loop. When I wanted to add a CPU waterblock, the tubing got lose and got fluid all over my Graphics card and fans. Luckily, the card survived.

And my current mistake is not drilling holes for my radiator. I was lazy and just used double sided tape to fix the radiator and fans. but now the air just passes by the small holes on the outside of the radiator.

I did this! I was sober at the time though, and it happened with an upsized McDonald's cup full of Coke. I actually used Vodka to remove the stickiness over the next few days.

On a related note, in my first year of University, I was tipsy one night in my dorm and happened to knock over a bottle of beer on my months old laptop. The computer still worked, but I must have shorted something out in the built-in keyboard, some of the keys stopped working and I had to use a USB one for YEARS. It wasn't till late in the laptop's lifespan that I managed to replace the keyboard with one from a used Craigslist just-for-parts laptop.

spending 80% of my pc's budget on a ATI radion 9800 pro , the card lasted barely 2 years before finaly burning itsself out due to the crappy airflow the cheap case brought :P
80% lol. Talk about severe bottlenecks :D

Made a ghetto fan speed reducer when I was younger. However I switched around the wrong cables around. Which ended up burning half the rubber insulation off the cables on my noname PSU. Not sure, but that might have been the reason why I bought my first proper PSU, the Corsair HX620. Which is still running in my sisters PC today. :)

I managed to spill a large glass of orange juice on my first windows laptop which was the Asus G60JX. Altough i was extremely lucky as it didn't die on me until about a week later.

I bought a non modular 750 PSU and the cables in the bottom of my case (with windown x_X) Look so damn ugly :'( !!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

In terms of buying, my biggest regret is probably my Antec DF-30 case or my Xigmatek Colleseum CPU cooler.

My biggest mistake was probably when I was building the PC, and I didn't mount the CPU cooler properly and it wasn't making contact with the CPU. Consequently, I sat there for about an hour booting and instantly overheating, causing a restart, and wondering what was going wrong. My friend ended up coming over and tightening the screws a bit.

Was helping a friend diagnosing his computer, and managed to plug in the floppy power for the graphics card upside down, you can just say that graphics card and PSU went toast.

Also, when putting on a cooler on some of my older motherboards, I put on a back plate (metal) without any insulation between that and the MB. Both the processor and the MB died on me.

MEH

I've bought a 120mm fan but my case doesn't have just 80mm and 100mm places.

Bought a Mo-Bo that didn't work with my cpu, then changed it to another one but still didn't work because it needed a bios upgrade. After that it worked. :D

Bought a case that cuts me every time I clean it. And also the HDD makes it really loud from vibration so I have a thin text book between the mo-bo and the back plate.

:)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

My worst mistake must have been starting to invest into my PC. It is such a big money magnet and I haven't spent money on anything but electronics for the past 4 years.
Haha - can totally relate to that!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Couple of things... working in datacenters with 220V and bringing in PC's on occasion with no auto voltage regulator. They have the stupid red switch you have to flip. BAM! I have fried a few PSU's that way, and almost lost it in my pants in the process. :)

My other issue sometimes, being in a hurry during a build.... not making sure the CPU heatsink was properly placed, tighten it down and nothing... shutdown due to thermal overload... Doh... Oh ya, the block has to be ON the cpu... no just hovering above. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I was young when I built my first PC and I forgot to put in my I/O shield. I realized that it was likely the cause of a massive dust build up months later when I opened it up for some cleaning. I rebuilt my PC for the sole purpose of a upgrading to a I/O shield. I wish my case had a removable motherboard tray...

-I switched the power input (240V or 120V?) of the PSU for my first build because I was curious. Then I turned it on and POOF.

-Tried to lower the voltage of my underclocked graphics card until it has too little power to drive the card.

-PC crashed and I had to force shut down the PC because I forgot to plug in the reset button into the MB jumper.

-Connect 9V battery to a USB stick to see which one is the one providing power and then I spoiled it since it doesn't support 9V electricity.

-Formatted a memory card on digital camera because I didn't know what "format" meant back then.

Bad investment:

-My current laptop(Dell XPS 13 2011 with 1st gen i7). Sandy bridge was released and the just solved the motherboard issue back in early 2011 so my friend suggested not to buy it since I'm bringing my laptop to college. I kinda regret it now because it's at least 1 generation older than other laptop and I could've bought the sandy bridge i7 by adding extra $30.

-This is unrelated to PC but I bought a Windows Mobile phone(v6.1 but can be upgraded to 6.5) back in 2009. Worst investment ever. Not much customization. Slow processor that can't cope up with the homescreen IU(or maybe just bad and laggy IU). Android was still in its infancy and I personally think iPhone 3GS was kinda overpriced(in Malaysia).