1440p or 4K?

VolkA
Go to solution Solved by VolkA,

Finally decided to go for 4K monitor. Just realized my desk doesn't have space to support 3 x monitor. Therefore, it's 4K monitor now. Haha. Just went to purchase another r9 290x. Now having crossfire, hopefully will be able to get decent playable fps while gaming on 4K monitor.

Lastly, thank you guys for all the advise and help. :) 

Hi guys, it's me asking for help again. :( I have no idea why but the price between the 1440p monitor and 4k monitor is so close! almost like just $50 - $100 different (at least in my country Singapore).

So here I would like to ask, how come the pricing of them is so close? If that is the case, I might as well go for 4K monitor than the 1440p right?

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Based on  your specs I doubt you could run games at 4K.

If your gaming ofcourse. 

Id'e 1440p.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

for a $50 diffrence go for it

and just downscale when you need to

for most cases turning off AA is enough for med high settings on a 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

For 50 usd difference go for 4k if the panel is the same. Ips is always better choice

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

If your gaming ofcourse. 

Id'e 1440p.

He cant play at 4k but can downscale but it will look burry

4k If you want. 1440 works well and you won't have to downscale if you your specs don't work well.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

Because 4k is the next standard so consumer demand is driving the price right down just like how 1080p monitors are only like $100 - $200. 2560x1440 will be dead pretty soon so go for the 4k, even if you can't run games at native res u will still get the real estate for productivity and be somewhat "future proofed" for the next 4-5 years.

1440p > 4k in my honest opinion.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If your gaming ofcourse. 

Id'e 1440p.

Yah, for now I doubt I could run games at 4K. That's why I'm getting another 290x to CF. Hopefully accordingly to some benchmark website, I could run games at around 40fps.

For 50 usd difference go for 4k if the panel is the same. Ips is always better choice

That's why I don't understand the price different. :P Agree that IPS would be better. 

He cant play at 4k but can downscale but it will look burry

Downscale will makes it burry? But I'm getting another 290x for CF soon.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Downscale will makes it burry? But I'm getting another 290x for CF soon.

My experience with downcsaling resolution is just playing at  for example at 720p on a 1080p monitor. That is were the blurriness is seen. Im not sure if there is blur at 4k to 1080p. Maybe someone else can go more in depth with that

My experience with downcsaling resolution is just playing at  for example at 720p on a 1080p monitor. That is were the blurriness is seen. Im not sure if there is blur at 4k to 1080p. Maybe someone else can go more in depth with that

Oh ok. But because to me, my theory is that since 4K is like 4 x 1080p and therefore if downscale, it will be like 4 pixel = 1 pixel which in theory would not be blurry. :P But then again, I'm a noob. Haha. So most likely I'm wrong. 

Spoiler

Actually had a question very similar to his, didn't think it worth it to make a new thread for it.  But with next generation of cards coming out, is 4k going to be something to push for?  Between what the Titan X / 390x are rumored to do.  Or would it be wise to stick to 1440 knowing that pushing that at ultra should be easy.

I've posted a few times that I don't think the world is ready for 4k, as an owner of 2x 4k displays I can tell you that quite a few games I have to run in 1080 due to cursor sizes.

If you are going to be playing things like BF4 then you may quite like 4k.

One thing to note, on my screens if I set my desktop to 1440 it doesnt stretch it, it just gives me big black borders, but if i set it lower to 1080 then it scales the signal to fit the screen.

Yesterday I took some pictures of browsing the web in 4k  http://imgur.com/a/O84Ry   in this post http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/328726-does-anyone-else-think-4k-isnt-high-enough/page-2#entry4466947 I also talked about some of the practical points of living with 4k

My best advise would be try playing the games you want in 4k and at 1440 and see which you prefer, not sure if you have a computer shop in your area... but spec sheets on the internet and advise from people that have never even seen the products seems kinda pointless

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

So, most games still aren't optimized for 4k?  I do remember seeing issues with some games with menus not being proportionate to the rest of the screen.

So, most games still aren't optimized for 4k?  I do remember seeing issues with some games with menus not being proportionate to the rest of the screen.

Name a few games, and if i have them I can take some screen shots or tell you about my experiences with them.

However I don't have all the games in the world :D

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

Name a few games, and if i have them I can take some screen shots or tell you about my experiences with them.

However I don't have all the games in the world :D

But how About Starcraft II, Witcher II, CIV 5, and Bioshock Infinite.  Usually stick with allot of RTS, at least until Star Citizen and hopefully Crowfall are released.

I've posted a few times that I don't think the world is ready for 4k, as an owner of 2x 4k displays I can tell you that quite a few games I have to run in 1080 due to cursor sizes.

If you are going to be playing things like BF4 then you may quite like 4k.

One thing to note, on my screens if I set my desktop to 1440 it doesnt stretch it, it just gives me big black borders, but if i set it lower to 1080 then it scales the signal to fit the screen.

Yesterday I took some pictures of browsing the web in 4k  http://imgur.com/a/O84Ry   in this post http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/328726-does-anyone-else-think-4k-isnt-high-enough/page-2#entry4466947 I also talked about some of the practical points of living with 4k

My best advise would be try playing the games you want in 4k and at 1440 and see which you prefer, not sure if you have a computer shop in your area... but spec sheets on the internet and advise from people that have never even seen the products seems kinda pointless

Wow. Those pic looks good. Think I might get a 4K screen then. Since I'm already planning to get another 290x, This way, might be able to run games at 4K. :) Thanks man for the screen shot.

Spoiler

4k :) its something you'll keep for years so you can upgrade your pc to suit.

I have a 4k monitor and love it

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Hi guys, it's me asking for help again. :( I have no idea why but the price between the 1440p monitor and 4k monitor is so close! almost like just $50 - $100 different (at least in my country Singapore).

So here I would like to ask, how come the pricing of them is so close? If that is the case, I might as well go for 4K monitor than the 1440p right?

Do you really think they are close?  I guess if you just compare price, they are close.  The specs the monitors have are very different.  The Acer Xb280hk is a 4K, 60hz, G-sync, with a TN panel $800.  The soon to be released Acer Xb270hu is a 1440p, 144hz, G-sync, with a IPS panel, also $800.  

Sorry for comparing Acer and G-snyc.  I guess your for AMD, and want Free-sync.  Then you can get the, also soon to be released Acer Xg270hu, 1440p, 144hz, Free-sync, with TN panel $500. (these are US prices)  

I would get a 1440p monitor, over a 4K.  Have you ever been burned by trying dual GPU's on a game and only a single GPU works?  That has happened to me because of driver support.   

the power for 4K is crazy! :P

i would go with 1440p.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN