Portal Themed 900D Gaming PC

JT8101997

gQYDGD8.png

(Banner created by @Rumikarimu)

Welcome to my build log!

I've been planning this build out for quite awhile now and I've finally decided to go for it. It's still being planned as i go though, so feel free to comment any ideas or suggestions you have for me :)

Here's what I've got so far:

• The case is being powder coated white on the side panels and the inside, leaving only the front back and top of the case in black
  • I am having the portal logo cut out of the front of the case and i'm putting a light inside the case to make it glow on the outside
  • I'm also going to have the case airbrushed to add some things from the game onto the outside of the case
  • It will be a dual loop water cooled system with a blue and an orange loop
  • Making an acrylic cover for the basement of the case
  • When the PC boots it will make the sounds GLaDOS does while re-activating (in Portal 2)
  • Probably getting some custom backplates made for the 980's
  • Possibly ideas you guys give me (I'll keep the list updated)

You can find the finalized parts and updated pictures of the build below.

I hope you enjoy the build :)

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

FINALIZED PARTS: (updated as i buy things)

• Corsair 900D
  • 2x 1TB Samsung 840 Evo
  • 4TB WD Black HDD
  • Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard
  • I7-5930K CPU
  • 32GB DDR4 3000MHZ
  • 2x GTX 980Ti
  • Corsair RM1000 PSU

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

This is where i will keep all of the picture updates so you can see them all in one place :)

My rough sketch of how i want to airbrush the case

o0xOiUk.jpg

Front panel of the case with the portal logo cut out

0v17Lji.jpg

RK3Afkq.jpg

The case after being powder coated white

I8vN5h2.jpg

ieCXtyk.jpg

eCXXhwk.jpg

The first build stage of the system. Parts are not final. More "Awesome" is coming, no worries.

F0TR5sp.jpg

w9UVJXL.jpg

WTNu3Nt.jpg

QwW7p2X.jpg

Wp64rOV.jpg

ajphGtv.jpg

8LdDiGv.jpg

c3v9RaI.jpg

The case after being airbrushed (Yes i know the aperature logo is messed up. This will be fixed.)

5ECbQIF.jpg

vjhu8cq.jpg

uYSJ2Ti.jpg

8J3oZwq.jpg

nSocaXe.jpg

ejBR0xC.jpg

BiZ4iBt.jpg

wZlMPyf.jpg

Painted PSU (see full post for more pictures)
Ti1KJUE.jpg
1Htjxxf.jpg
jWCIU8k.jpg

So, my current pc is having overheating issues and rather than troubleshooting the problem, i've decided to just build a new one, cause why not?

waaaaat? How lazy are you?

Also do you really require 64gb of RAM for a gaming PC?

why 2 bluray drives?

Also why are you not going for a 4790k with the money you will be spending?

so many questions about this build haha...

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

why 2 bluray drives?

Also why are you not going for a 4790k with the money you will be spending?

Eeyore dont give a fuck... he got dat money!

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Eeyore dont give a fuck... he got dat money!

More money than brains it seems.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I say go for it

<THE SILENT ASSASSIN>CPU(Intel i5-4690K)||COOLER(corsair H100i)||MOB(asus Maximus VII Hero ATX)||RAM(16gb of corsair vengeance)||STORAGE(Intel 530 128gb)(Samsung 850 Pro 500gb)(WD 2tb Black)||GRAPHICS(2 x Asus strix 970)||CASE(Nzxt H440)||PSU(Corsair RM750W)>http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Bbpbt6

why 2 bluray drives?

pretty damn lazy lol. (really it's just an excuse to do this build anyways)

just because i already have two and i have a lot of cd's from going to small concerts

and the ram is also just cause i already have it and can fit it in so why not? :P

The same as a "friend" of mine, spent 2k on a PC because its expensive ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Never really understand the comments of "its a waste of money" etc... if the dude wants to overkill.. let him. I guess he works hard for his money... or at least works. lol

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Never really understand the comments of "its a waste of money" etc... if the dude wants to overkill.. let him. I guess he works hard for his money... or at least works. lol

well, yeah i already have a lot of the parts anyways and i just want something nice that will perform well in anything i need to throw at it. and im gonna be using like 5 radiators so i dont have overheating issues. i just want something i wont have to mess with or upgrade, but have the option to if i want :)

please get a 5820k/5930k instead of a 4930k. Also I'm interested to see how this turns out.

i was considering x99 but i'm not entirely sue yet. it would be nice though.

well, yeah i already have a lot of the parts anyways and i just want something nice that will perform well in anything i need to throw at it. and im gonna be using like 5 radiators so i dont have overheating issues. i just want something i wont have to mess with or upgrade, but have the option to if i want :)

Go for it.

Following so I can see how it works out :)

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

i was considering x99 but i'm not entirely sue yet. it would be nice though.

X99 has a longer platform longevity and almost all boards have the latest features that the x79 boards do not. Also most of them are really  fucking cool looking.

X99 has a longer platform longevity and almost all boards have the latest features that the x79 boards do not. Also most of them are really  fucking cool looking.

yeah i was thinking about long term too. and i was looking at the black edition ROG board on x99 that would go perfect with this build. and the case is definitely big enough lol. i actually had to measure the height of my desk just to make sure it would fit xD

yeah i was thinking about long term too. and i was looking at the black edition ROG board on x99 that would go perfect with this build. and the case is definitely big enough lol. i actually had to measure the height of my desk just to make sure it would fit xD

Considering how many 900D builds there are, aside from the dual loop you should do something aside from just painting it. Maybe make some kind of custom motherboard tray thing that is white to make it all clean and stuff.

Considering how many 900D builds there are, aside from the dual loop you should do something aside from just painting it. Maybe make some kind of custom motherboard tray thing that is white to make it all clean and stuff.

yeah good idea. this whole plan isn't really figured out yet. thats why i only ordered the case so far, so i dont have an expensive pile of parts just sitting around while i figure this out. theres a lot of things i've decided to do differently from my last build though, like carefully deciding where the tubing goes. specifically like in places such as around the ram rather than blocking it. stuff like that. and also like how i need to add a drain port this time that i forgot to last time... that would be helpful :P i was also thinking of an acrylic cover for the basement with led's shining through a painted logo. something like that. just waiting on the case so i can look at what i can actually do with it. any other ideas from anyone are appreciated :)

This may seem complicated and unfeasible, but how about lazercutting a portal logo out of the front, then fill the resulting holes with a translucent acrylic, and put RGB LEDs behind that that you can set 2 profiles to. One for blue and one for orange. And since the case is so big, if there is room, maybe mount a model of glados to the roof of the main chamber. That would look amazing. Companion cube also needs a place in this build somewhere.

Oh another idea, if you don't mind circuit building, maybe have a timer circuit that plays certain portal sound effects as the system boots. Maybe the sounds you hear as glados reactivates in portal 2

Oh another idea, if you don't mind circuit building, maybe have a timer circuit that plays certain portal sound effects as the system boots. Maybe the sounds you hear as glados reactivates in portal 2

This. I want to see this. This would be so epic!

When in doubt: C4

@trogdor10

Yeah i was kinda thinking along the same worth the light up logo on the front but rgb would be a great idea and the sound thing sounds freaking amazing. I think I'm gonna figure out how to do that now. Thanks :) and work /money wise, my opinion is pretty much that if I'm going to do it, i might as well do it right. And sorry i can't quote or else i would. I'm on my phone right now.