PC lags when moving mouse

I have this really annoying issue that has manifested itself suddenly yesterday afternoon that occurs only after watching Youtube videos (linustechtips of course!).

The issue is this: when moving my mouse, my PC lags. The cursor will jump around rather than move fluidly across the screen. If a video is playing, the audio will make annoying screeching sounds and the video will chop.

I've tried to spot if a process is causing the issue in Task manager but due to the lag, I can't see if CPU or memory resources are spiking in real-time. I can tell though that CPU usage does spike, I just don't know what's causing it.

I almost always use Chrome, but can confirm the issue occurs in Firefox as well. Once the mouse lag issue starts, it'll happen in any program and even the desktop with nothing running.

The lag issue never occurs unless I watch a video.

I ran a plethora of virus scanners - nothing detected.

I tried changing the mouse usb ports - issue persists regardless of port.

If I use my iphone as a wireless mouse via Air Mouse, the issue doesn't occur.

I have my PC connected to two screens; one is my TV and the other is a touch monitor. No lag ever occurs using the touch monitor either. Using only one screen, regardless of screen, won't resolve the issue.

All my drivers are up to date. I never installed anything between today and last month.

Something obviously changed. How, I don't know.

I'm running Windows 8.1 and games play just fine so this isn't a video card issue either.

UPDATE: Resource Monitor shows that when the mouse moves during video playback, Maximum Frequency jumps to over 100% (going as high as 110%) and correlates with the lag/video chop/audio screeching. It also shows a process called System Interrupts that hoards CPU resources when the issue occurs (going from 0 to 25 at times)

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue? I fear this may be a sign my cpu is dying. It's an Intel i5 3750k.

Wow, thats odd... You have tried a good but.. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again, no joke. Its inexplicable solved problems for me. 

It doesn't sounds like a mouse hardware issue either. I'v evener heard of YT causing this.. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

rebooting solves the problem but watching another video makes it start up again. I don't want to reboot every single time I watch one video.

Video and audio playback is perfectly fine if the mouse doesn't move. But even when there isn't a video playing, the mouse will lag on the screen even on the desktop.

From what I can tell, this isn't that rare of a problem but no one seems to have found a solution to it.

I can confirm that this isn't a CPU problem however.

With further testing, I can now exclude Youtube from being the source of the problem. The issue stems from about 30 minutes of use. The mouse begins to lag after around 30 minutes regardless of video, audio or software being used.

The lag definitely correlates to a spike in System Interrupts.

So the question now becomes, how can I tell what is causing those system interrupts?

I've heard of specific Firefox and Twitch issues like this and people say it's related to the polling rate of the mouse. If there's a mouse button to change DPI maybe try that

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

After hours of scanning the PC for a bunch of issues, a simple troubleshooting of the mouse in devices & printers SEEMED to solve the issue.

That is until I unplugged my mouse and put it into a different port and Windows blue screened giving me a BAD_POOL_CALLER error.

Rebooting required me to do a system restore but I'm back at square one with the problem showing it's ugly face again.

Okay, so I can confirm that the problem appears to be my mouse.

It's a Logitech G502 Proteus Core.

Unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in fixes the problem... temporarily.

After about 30 minutes, I have to replug the mouse. It's annoying, but it's an instant temporary fix.

As far as I know, the drivers haven't updated recently so I'm perplexed as to why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Hey Gamerdad,

Sorry I could not reply earlier cause I had to get this accout verified, but now I can so here it is:

This issue is caused by the recent windows updates made on 28.2.2015 and/or 10.3.2015 and it affects almost all Win 8 to 8.1 machines that have ran the update.

There is no permanent solution as of now, but as a temporary fix you can do the following:

Windows + R
Search for "msconfig"
Go to "Services"
Find "Intel ® Technology Access Service"
Untick the box to disable service
Apply
Ok
Restart Pc 

This might affect the performance of ethernet over usb, but in most cases it will be fine. At this moment it seems like we will get a permanent fix withing a day, but I'll keep you guys updated over the course of today. If you wish to know more about the issue just post a question and I'll try to answer it as clearly as possible.

-Employee @ a pc manufacturer

- i7 4770k. - Sapphire Vapor-X 290X 8GB. -  OEM MB. - Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz 8GB. - Corsair HX850 Modular 80Plus Gold Certified. - OEM WD 1TB. - OEM Case (Acer). - 3x Asus VS247H

Okay, so I can confirm that the problem appears to be my mouse.

It's a Logitech G502 Proteus Core.

Unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in fixes the problem... temporarily.

After about 30 minutes, I have to replug the mouse. It's annoying, but it's an instant temporary fix.

As far as I know, the drivers haven't updated recently so I'm perplexed as to why this is happening.

Any ideas?

i've had this issue with my keyboard (Logitech G110), but that was after playing a game or just hit around 1000 keystrokes then it suddenly froze and started smashing the last key i hit before it went mental. the only way to fix it was replugging my usb cable which was a hassle and annoying. and you are now giving me a reason not to buy the g502 Proteus Cure haha

CPU: intel i7 4770k 4,1GHZ stock cooler  RAM: 8GB Ripjaws G-Skill8-GB-DDR3-1600 (2x 4gb)  GPU: GTX 760 Msi dual fan PSU: corsair cx 750 WATT modular MBoard: gigabyte-ga-z87-d3h  HDD: WD Caviar black 1tb  SSD: samsung  850 evo 250gb  Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Cherry Red Mouse: Corsair M90 Headset: Gamecom 780 OS: Windows 7 X64

Hey Gamerdad,

Sorry I could not reply earlier cause I had to get this accout verified, but now I can so here it is:

This issue is caused by the recent windows updates made on 28.2.2015 and/or 10.3.2015 and it affects almost all Win 8 to 8.1 machines that have ran the update.

There is no permanent solution as of now, but as a temporary fix you can do the following:

Windows + R

Search for "msconfig"

Go to "Services"

Apply

Ok

Restart Pc 

This might affect the performance of ethernet over usb, but in most cases it will be fine. At this moment it seems like we will get a permanent fix withing a day, but I'll keep you guys updated over the course of today. If you wish to know more about the issue just post a question and I'll try to answer it as clearly as possible.

To add to this last message, the problems include: Trouble with USB-, Bluetooth- and integrated mouse/keyboard - Crackling audio, stuttering/lagging video when moving mouse cursor, fps lag in high load applications and overall loss of performance. If have been experiencing any of these problems after the 28.2.2015 or 10.3.2015 update I suggest you to try the temporary fix since these issues are mosty likely cause by these updates and the fix has worked for these issues on all of the units tested. (1000s of units)

And @GamerDad - Try and use this solution and reply with the results, Im quite sure the issue is this and not your mouse.

- i7 4770k. - Sapphire Vapor-X 290X 8GB. -  OEM MB. - Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz 8GB. - Corsair HX850 Modular 80Plus Gold Certified. - OEM WD 1TB. - OEM Case (Acer). - 3x Asus VS247H

Hey Gamerdad,

Windows + R

Search for "msconfig"

Go to "Services"

Apply

Ok

Restart Pc 

Hi Avonien,

I recently figured an update would be the problem so I reverted my computer back to an automatic restore point. At first I thought of it being an Office 2013 update. Before I restored my computer to a previous date, I looked at the file history and saw that there were about 25/6 updates for both Office and Windows. My computer is fine and working perfectly - at this moment in time. I planning on doing updates one a time and creating several restore points in the process which would take a lot of effort and time. Is there any chance that you could specify which update was causing the problem so I can install all the other 50 updates and leave that one uninstalled.

Many thanks.

Hey,

Yes is is talking about the same issue - could not post it here earlier since it took couple of days to verify my account, but got it posted on few other boards. If you were having this problem on an Acer pc,  your problems should have now been automaticly fixed since we issued a critical update yesterday that solves the issue complitely.

• 1 year later...

I literally the same problem and have the same mouse you do. I wonder if it is something with the mouse?

Did anyone ever find a solution?