Set up your computer to use specific DNS's how-to

DNS Benchmark is a cool tool that will ping maaaany DNSs to see which one has the lowest response time (and actually responds) to you.

This is useful in case your ISP's DNS, for whatever reason, isn't working optimally. You'll need to be using a static IP for this.

Run the program, then sort by response time. Only look at ones with green and not red or yellow. Like this:

9212460407_10412e8e6a_o.png

Note that if the circles are hollow, that means your computer is connecting to them on it's own and it's DNS Benchmark that's doing it. If they are solid, then that means your computer has it in it's list and is using it as a DNS option.

Then put those into your DNS list like so on Win7/8:

Go to Network and Sharing center by right clicking your Network icon in the bottom right corner and selecting it.

9215236838_c6a22f33c8_o.png

Go to/look for "connections" and click your current connection (likely Ethernet 1, 2, or 3).

9215236902_f089763447_o.png

The status box for it will come up, click properties (you'll need admin rights).

9215236898_607d4c0618_o.png

Then scroll to the bottom of the list and click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

9212460381_3a01f47412_o.png

Then click properties and you'll be at a screen that looks similarly to this: 

9215236948_0d15619cff_o.png

Now, if you want to, you can just use 2 DNS servers from the list by entering their IP's in the "Preferred DNS server" and "Alternate DNS server". However, if you want to set up a long list of backup DNS servers, for whatever reason, click Advanced, select the DNS tab, and start adding them all to the first input box via the "Add..." button like this:

9215236914_b59145228a_o.png

I'm going to be completely honest with you. This isn't likely to increase your internet's performance any, but it will (depending on your ISP) likely make it more reliable. My ISP is crap, so I do this for a reason. 

It may even affect pings, but I haven't tested that explicitly. 

It's also useful for servers and their admins, for obvious reasons.

A DNS can be infected which means that if you use it, when you type in URL's, it will redirect you to wherever the one who infected it says for it to. This is one way to avoid that problem entirely.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i usually use either google's or opendns' dns depending on what i am trying to browse  <_<  but still i will face ISP's censorship

google's dns slows my youtube experience by a lot i mean videos load instanly in ttnet's(my isp) dns(they mirror youtube with faster connection) and i used to cant browse ltt with my isp's dns 

and there is no easy way to test which dns is better if you are a hardcore gamer you are probably running cable to your pc and you can always ping the server of your game and see which is better

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i usually use either google's or opendns' dns depending on what i am trying to browse  <_<  but still i will face ISP's censorship

google's dns slows my youtube experience by a lot i mean videos load instanly in ttnet's(my isp) dns(they mirror youtube with faster connection) and i used to cant browse ltt with my isp's dns 

and there is no easy way to test which dns is better if you are a hardcore gamer you are probably running cable to your pc and you can always ping the server of your game and see which is better

True. But that's what this DNS benchmark is for. To test ALL the DNSs. :P

I prefer to use Google's public DNS servers. But cool program. I may give it a try.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Yeah, I use them too. But Verizon's (4.2.2.1-4.2.2.6) actually respond faster for me.

I updated the OP with pictures.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah, I use them too. But Verizon's (4.2.2.1-4.2.2.6) actually respond faster for me.

I'm not in it for the speed really. It's the reliability that I use it for. Sometimes, with the DNS IPs my ISP provides bugs out and only lets me access google and facebook and nowhere else. Hate when that happens. >.<

I'm not in it for the speed really. It's the reliability that I use it for. Sometimes, with the DNS IPs my ISP provides bugs out and only lets me access google and facebook and nowhere else. Hate when that happens. >.<

Yeah, same here.

I do it for both. I list many DNS's, but I order them from fastest response to slowest. Google's are just below Verizon's for this reason.

† Christian Member †

Yeah, same here.

I do it for both. I list many DNS's, but I order them from fastest response to slowest. Google's are just below Verizon's for this reason.

I personally can't just let myself sacrifice some reliability for a slight speed increase. I mean, when's the last time you've seen Google's servers down? :P Google's "up-time" is the best I've seen so far. Amazing, really.

I personally can't just let myself sacrifice some reliability for a slight speed increase. I mean, when's the last time you've seen Google's servers down? :P Google's "up-time" is the best I've seen so far. Amazing, really.

Well.... That's the point of having a list of DNS's. When one fails, it moves to the next one. 

So if Verizon's fails, it will move on to Google's as a backup. I use the fast ones until the fast ones don't work, then I use the reliable ones. 

I get to have both speed and reliability :P.

† Christian Member †

Well.... That's the point of having a list of DNS's. When one fails, it moves to the next one. 

So if Verizon's fails, it will move on to Google's as a backup. I use the fast ones until the fast ones don't work, then I use the reliable ones. 

I get to have both speed and reliability :P.

Hmm. Good point.

this is really cool. Have you run the  35 minute scan that checks against 5000 DNS' and the re-runs the benchmark with the 50 fastest?

I'm running it now, I live in a small town in Australia and the default 72 are all shocking for me.

I'll update when the scan has finished and let you know if it actually makes a difference.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Very interesting, personally I use OpenDNS' DNSCrypt so there isn't much point me swapping without sacrificing the encryption.

Great tool though.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z (LGA1155) | CPU: Intel i5 2400 (3.1 GHz) Sandy Bridge | GPU: Asus STRIX nVidia GeForce 970 | RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHz | SDD: OCZ-VERTEX3 128 GB | HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (RAID-0) + Western Digital Green 1 TB

Ok so scan finished. That made a huge difference. It turns out there are 24 DNS' with faster response times than Google DNS' which is what I've been using for years now. Think I'm going to have to update my DNS caching.

Thanks for this dude :D

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Ok so scan finished. That made a huge difference. It turns out there are 24 DNS' with faster response times than Google DNS' which is what I've been using for years now. Think I'm going to have to update my DNS caching.

Thanks for this dude :D

You're welcome bro.

Just keep those Google DNS' at the bottom of the list in case all 24 of the other ones fail (not likely to happen, but eh).

† Christian Member †

DNS Benchmark is a cool tool that will ping maaaany DNSs to see which one has the lowest response time (and actually responds) to you.

This is useful in case your ISP's DNS, for whatever reason, isn't working optimally. You'll need to be using a static IP for this.

Run the program, then sort by response time. Only look at ones with green and not red or yellow. Like this:

9212460407_10412e8e6a_o.png

Note that if the circles are hollow, that means your computer is connecting to them on it's own and it's DNS Benchmark that's doing it. If they are solid, then that means your computer has it in it's list and is using it as a DNS option.

Then put those into your DNS list like so on Win7/8:

Go to Network and Sharing center by right clicking your Network icon in the bottom right corner and selecting it.

9215236838_c6a22f33c8_o.png

Go to/look for "connections" and click your current connection (likely Ethernet 1, 2, or 3).

9215236902_f089763447_o.png

The status box for it will come up, click properties (you'll need admin rights).

9215236898_607d4c0618_o.png

Then scroll to the bottom of the list and click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

9212460381_3a01f47412_o.png

Then click properties and you'll be at a screen that looks similarly to this: 

9215236948_0d15619cff_o.png

Now, if you want to, you can just use 2 DNS servers from the list by entering their IP's in the "Preferred DNS server" and "Alternate DNS server". However, if you want to set up a long list of backup DNS servers, for whatever reason, click Advanced, select the DNS tab, and start adding them all to the first input box via the "Add..." button like this:

9215236914_b59145228a_o.png

I'm going to be completely honest with you. This isn't likely to increase your internet's performance any, but it will (depending on your ISP) likely make it more reliable. My ISP is crap, so I do this for a reason. 

It may even affect pings, but I haven't tested that explicitly. 

It's also useful for servers and their admins, for obvious reasons.

A DNS can be infected which means that if you use it, when you type in URL's, it will redirect you to wherever the one who infected it says for it to. This is one way to avoid that problem entirely.

Great Post.

This is a great tool.

Thanks @Vitalius 

Great Post.

This is a great tool.

Thanks @Vitalius 

You're welcome bro. :)

I figured it would help people in the EU, AU, NZ, and Africa the most. :)

† Christian Member †