Help with upgrading Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Analog,

Doesn't really matter for Intel, just get the one that you like most and has all of the features you need. In that price range you can get the MSI Gaming 5. It is a very good board. Make sure that the board is Z97 chipset thou so that you can overclock your processor. 

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a new GPU (R9 290/GTX970) in the next couple of weeks and I want to eliminate the bottleneck that my i7-920 @ 2.6ghz would cause.

I'm looking at getting an I5 4690K, but I'm not sure what mobo to get with this cpu though, as I will have to get a LGA 1150 socket to fit that cpu in.

Any help/recommendations are welcome! I would also preferably like crossfire/sli support as well as support of up to 32gb or ram. I'm looking at spending no more than $200 ----AUD---- on the mobo. 

Thanks in advance,

Skwoad

Asus Maximus - VII - Ranger || I5-4690k @ Stock... for now at least :P || Noctua DH-14 || eVGA Gtx 970 FTW edition || G_skill Areas 8gb RAM || Samsung 440 evo SSD 120gb || 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb drives.

Doesn't really matter for Intel, just get the one that you like most and has all of the features you need. In that price range you can get the MSI Gaming 5. It is a very good board. Make sure that the board is Z97 chipset thou so that you can overclock your processor. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Ok, thank you very much~ in terms of brands is ASRock any good? I heard they are reliable but I dont see them used that often...

Asus Maximus - VII - Ranger || I5-4690k @ Stock... for now at least :P || Noctua DH-14 || eVGA Gtx 970 FTW edition || G_skill Areas 8gb RAM || Samsung 440 evo SSD 120gb || 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb drives.

Ok, thank you very much~ in terms of brands is ASRock any good? I heard they are reliable but I dont see them used that often...

Depends, some of their older boards weren't that good, in terms of materials and BIOSes. Now they have improved a lot. I personally use an ASRock board with my 5960X and it is great, I haven't had a single complaint so far. If they can make a good board for that processor, I am confident that they can do one for Z97 as well. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I'd aim for ASUS or Gigabyte. Asrock is fine, but not one of my top choices.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd aim for ASUS or Gigabyte. Asrock is fine, but not one of my top choices.

Gigabyte or bust  ^_^

I own the Z97X-SOC, hands down the best Z97 board imo

http://cplonline.com.au/gigabyte-ga-z97x-soc-atx-motherboard-ga-z97x-soc.html

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Materials wise they are about average I'd say, but I love the bios that they have so that's a plus for me - sleek, simple, and functional :)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress