HP Pavilion Revamp: Plan B

QueenDemetria

This thread is getting weirder and weirder. lol.

I know, I actually live in the twilight zone. :shrug:

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Nice, are you doing a build log on it? Also, why are you going with a low profile cooler?(just curious)

Nah,not going to do a build log. I might end up changing cases in the future too a smaller case but not sure, just want a kinda smallish cooler since I have no idea where this build is going. But I guess I will decide on a cooler when I go to order one in a few months. Might even go with a Cooler Master GeminII M4. But Like I said, I'm not too sure. Lots of choices to choose from.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Hey everyone, I have a huge update for this project, I've been hard at work today(lol, not really). So I experimented with my two Athlon 620's and both of them OC about the same(so about 3.5Ghz while staying around 1.4v). My Phenom X2 560 OC's like a boss, but I wasn't able to unlock it(well, with a reasonable voltage), so I'm not going to use the Phenom(however I might get a confirmed unlocked one from Craigslist). I'm holding off on the Athlon 640 since I might use it for my next build(because I need a high clockspeed AM3 processor and I can't OC), but I haven't completely ruled it out yet. I'm planning on changing out the HDD LED tomorrow since I'll have heat shrink tube by the time I get out of school. Also, I have finally decided what CPU cooler I am going to use between the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 and ZEROtherm BTF90 Butterfly:

Neither...

Yep that's right, but this is where this project gets even better. Basically, I didn't expect this this system to work the first time I threw it together, yet it did. The “tiny” TX3 was able to keep all of my OC'd processors under 45c, which is surprising(kudos to Cooler Master I guess). I hate saying this, but other than the botchery, this project has actually been boring for me. So, what will I do to remedy this? Well, I think its time to put my processor under liquid. For those that didn't know, one of the pumps died in my Phantom rig. Instead of replacing the pump like a normal person, I've decided that its finally time to upgrade and “de-ghetto” my Phantom, but I will use most of the parts from it and cram them into this tiny HP. I will for sure use the 120mm radiator and HD 7770 since it it already has a waterblock installed on it, but I'm still deciding what CPU waterblock, pump, and reservoir to use. Also, due to the nasty crap growing in the Phantoms cooling system, I won't be filling the HP with water. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to experiment with oil cooling, so stay tuned :).

And if you are wondering: “Is this why its called Plan B?” Well, its not what I had in mind lol.

-snip

Lol did you even plan the loop for 'Phantom'? It looks so messy  :o

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Hey everyone, I have a huge update for this project, I've been hard at work today(lol, not really). So I experimented with my two Athlon 620's and both of them OC about the same(so about 3.5Ghz while staying around 1.4v). My Phenom X2 560 OC's like a boss, but I wasn't able to unlock it(well, with a reasonable voltage), so I'm not going to use the Phenom(however I might get a confirmed unlocked one from Craigslist). I'm holding off on the Athlon 640 since I might use it for my next build(because I need a high clockspeed AM3 processor and I can't OC), but I haven't completely ruled it out yet. I'm planning on changing out the HDD LED tomorrow since I'll have heat shrink tube by the time I get out of school. Also, I have finally decided what CPU cooler I am going to use between the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 and ZEROtherm BTF90 Butterfly:
Neither...
Yep that's right, but this is where this project gets even better. Basically, I didn't expect this this system to work the first time I threw it together, yet it did. The “tiny” TX3 was able to keep all of my OC'd processors under 45c, which is surprising(kudos to Cooler Master I guess). I hate saying this, but other than the botchery, this project has actually been boring for me. So, what will I do to remedy this? Well, I think its time to put my processor under liquid. For those that didn't know, one of the pumps died in my Phantom rig. Instead of replacing the pump like a normal person, I've decided that its finally time to upgrade and “de-ghetto” my Phantom, but I will use most of the parts from it and cram them into this tiny HP. I will for sure use the 120mm radiator and HD 7770 since it it already has a waterblock installed on it, but I'm still deciding what CPU waterblock, pump, and reservoir to use. Also, due to the nasty crap growing in the Phantoms cooling system, I won't be filling the HP with water. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to experiment with oil cooling, so stay tuned :).

And if you are wondering: “Is this why its called Plan B?” Well, its not what I had in mind lol.

Ohhhhh, well this is an interesting turn of events :D

Usually most people would just push through the project, even if its boring. It's cool to see that you're not like other people :P Cant wait to see how this develops.

Wonder if you'll get bored of this and make a Plan C? :D

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Let the fun begin :)

MgEYTAD.jpg

Ohhhhh, well this is an interesting turn of events :D

Usually most people would just push through the project, even if its boring. It's cool to see that you're not like other people :P Cant wait to see how this develops.

Wonder if you'll get bored of this and make a Plan C? :D

Lol, I just couldn't finish a computer if it was boring, and hopefully there isn't a Plan C. I never really finish my PC's, they are continuously being upgraded and messed with. I'll explain why this is my "Plan B" after I finish my project :P.

Let the fun begin :)

Lol, I just couldn't finish a computer if it was boring, and hopefully there isn't a Plan C. I never really finish my PC's, they are continuously being upgraded and messed with. I'll explain why this is my "Plan B" after I finish my project :P.

What's with the random (seemingly 4K+ RPM and 40mm) fans?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'll explain why this is my "Plan B" after I finish my project :P.

I don't know what to think anymore. Mysterious B. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

So umm.... This project isn't going to "take an hour" like I convinced my self it would lol. I just got out of school so I'll get back to work on it again, but I'm thinking its time to get my air compressor out. Anyways, here is where I am currently at:

btrez9z.jpg

When I planned this in my head, everything fit nicely and looked great, but now that I have the pieces in hand nothing is really fitting together nicely(And I killed my other pump, so now I have to use my stock D5 pump). My goal is to have everything internal, so I have to do a lot of thinking.

What's with the random (seemingly 4K+ RPM and 40mm) fans?

Lol, since I had to remove the original HDD cage I had to add HDD adapters to the 5.25" bays. They were just what I had:

zXZzIhV.jpg

But I don't have the fans plugged in. The fans are really loud, even at 5v lol. I plan to just leave the fans for now since they won't be visible and they don't get in the way, but it might be good to get some airflow some day(I'm thinking a single fan could replace them).

I don't know what to think anymore. Mysterious B. :D

Lol, its actually a pretty good story. I'll tell it once I finish this build :P

Lol, its actually a pretty good story. I'll tell it once I finish this build :P

Damn, everything inside the case ? Good luck you gonna need it. :D

Okay, okay, I am intrigued. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

The funny thing about today is that I had two machines that worked perfectly fine(despite having a broken pump), and now neither of them can run since they are incomplete lol. This is why I love custom PC building :). Other than dismantling two machines though, the only things I was able to finish is changing out the HDD LED and installing the backplate for my CPU water block.

Xh0Izfi.jpg

*Note* The LED fits in that black plastic thing. I just have it out so you can see it.

c2IrpjP.jpg

*Note* The Water block was installed to test fitment, I still have to apply thermal paste and clean out the block. And yes I know the fittings aren't the same size :P.

While I am running errands tomorrow I plan on stopping by Home Depot to get more fittings and any other junk I can find. I want to avoid using 1/2" tube since the stuff I have is nasty from being used previously and the stuff at Home depot is too hard to work with. @Frankie I still plan on installing everything in the case and I think I have just the trick for being able to do this :P. I just need to do some last minute planning before I do any more cutting.

Also if anybody is curious to the effects of using oil as coolant instead of water, so far the only thing I have noticed is that it makes the tubes stiff, but that's about it(so far, after 24 hrs.). Using it for a long term will be the true test though.

When I planned...

:)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

I has metal box:

wWQ2rgX.jpg

This went to an old server or something. Don't really care, it needs a new life. Soo a few cuts later:

hpzi7cd.jpg

rkJbnRU.jpg

(insert pictures I forgot to take)

and presto, I now have a hacked apart box:

DjmGhNw.jpg

And I didn't do this for teh lolz either, look at this beaut:

C5K7pQn.jpg

I'm probably going to paint it black, not sure yet. Also pardon the mess on my table, I like to make big messes now that I can't get in trouble :P.

What purpose does it have exactly, mounting the rad ? Nice clean cuts though :)

Finally I can type this, forum was acting up for me for the last half an hour or so. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

What purpose does it have exactly, mounting the rad ? Nice clean cuts though :)

Finally I can type this, forum was acting up for me for the last half an hour or so. :D

Thanks :). I built the cover to hold hold my pump and reservoir, but if the single 120mm radiator isn't enough then I'll have to mount another rad to it...somehow(lol). I'm hoping the single 120 rad will be enough, since the HD 7770 doesn't output much heat and neither does the Athlon(in fact, before I tore my PC apart I ran the CPU passive with the CM TX3. The temperatures were fine.).

And lol, right after I posted my pics the forum went down. I thought it was my internet going out again lol.

Thanks :). I built the cover to hold hold my pump and reservoir, but if the single 120mm radiator isn't enough then I'll have to mount another rad to it...somehow(lol). I'm hoping the single 120 rad will be enough, since the HD 7770 doesn't output much heat and neither does the Athlon(in fact, before I tore my PC apart I ran the CPU passive with the CM TX3. The temperatures were fine.).

And lol, right after I posted my pics the forum went down. I thought it was my internet going out again lol.

Sure, no problemo :) Yeah I was like cool B posted something new and then bam forum went to sh*t. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Shits getting real:

-SNIP-

Its just a minor cut, don't worry :P but expect an update within the next few hours. Mechanically I want to have this finished tonight, but I'll have to wait 12ish hours for sealant to dry(sigh). Welp, off to work :P

Ouch...well at least its just a "minor cut" as you claim

Reminds me of the time where I got a first degree burn from a heatgun when I was bending a tube for my loop...

Shits getting real:

Its just a minor cut, don't worry :P but expect an update within the next few hours. Mechanically I want to have this finished tonight, but I'll have to wait 12ish hours for sealant to dry(sigh). Welp, off to work :P

I got a pretty deep cut on my thumb this one time whilst stripping the insulation off wire. I made the stupid mistake of pointing the blade towards me which then slipped and the tip dug into my thumb.

Bled and throbbed for a few hours.

Ouch...well at least its just a "minor cut" as you claim

Reminds me of the time where I got a first degree burn from a heatgun when I was bending a tube for my loop...

Reminds me the moment when my technology teacher said to a pupil: "hey tom, could you check if the soldering iron is warm? "OK" he says. what he does? He grabs the whole iron by the metal piece. his hand 2nd degree burned completely

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Great strides were made today... Lol. So the first hing I needed to do was fix my D5 pump. I still have the stock ugly top for mine and since I have gone well over my $0 budget, I needed to modify the top I have. I cut the stock barbs off for two reasons: 1, they are 1/2” and that's too big for most of my projects. And 2, I would need to use adapters to get the desired angles/sizes, which I just don't have space for. So, two cuts with the die grinder and I have only solved half of my problem.

d2MkBf1.jpg

Since I am borrowing tools from my Dad, I had just the thing to add threads to my hole(a tap I think?):

GtV2sUD.jpg

This pump would have been so much better if it would have com from the factory like this, but oh well. Also, why aren't pumps and taps in gyms? Doing two holes was quite the workout lol.

Moving on to the reservoir, I added Velcro pieces to keep my bracket from scratching the acrylic.

HiWDhCs.jpg

Sad thing is that I ended up cracking the reservoir while putting the fittings on, so at this point even if it does get a few scratches I won't care. I used zip ties to hold the reservoir on:

4h4XtqO.jpg

I should have used black zip ties, but oh well. I might paint that panel so I could change them eventually, but honestly I really don't want to redo this set up (you will see why towards the bottom of this post).

To put things into perspective, here is how tight I have designed this case:

qoZvfUU.jpg

The bottom of the pump barely clears the case, and there is hardly any room for the tubes.

This is how I mounted the pump though:

tRNNxz8.jpg

I used zip ties and wire mounts(?)to hold it on. Sad thing is that two of the mounts have already come off, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I almost had to drill a hole so I could reach the speed switch on the pump, but I went for the easy approach:P 

QJmjCtm.jpg

This is how I joined the pump and reservoir together:

MEFf9wm.jpg

To continue my trend of Home Depot parts, here is my water block with fittings installed:

3Mafd70.jpg

Not pretty, but it will get the job done lol. It will be covered up anyways, so that's why wasn't too concerned bout its aesthetics.

Moving onto the GPU, here it is fully plumbed:

3kquCa9.jpg

It used 1/4” tube while the rest of the system uses 3/8” tube, so that's why I had to use those ugly fittings. It beats having to use the adapters I made lol(look at my Phantom build if you want to see the adapters).

Basically at this point it was 2 more tubes and a whole lot of headache, but here are the results:

cgpz5Pf.jpg

The panel doesn't come off as far as I wanted it to.

IYdi4w0.jpg

I think this is the tightest fit computer I have ever built. Between the non modular PSU and the cooling system I think I have used up every bit of space lol.

XBPyXrM.jpg

Best of all everything fits! The panel doesn't go in easy, but it fits and that's all what matters. This made my night seeing everything go together :).

Another cool thing that I haven't shown off is the custom SATA cable I had made(I didn't make it). Since one of the SSD's is mounted up side down, I figured I should get a upside down cable to match it:

9eEY9VS.jpg

And that feeling when you get to say “worth it”:

KaT9aoB.jpg

I can't wait to see this thing run, I've spent too much time and money making a HP case “suck less” lol. I will let the sealant fully dry this time, since that's what made my lines in my Phantom cloudy(although this time I am using RTV instead of Loctite thread sealant). Will it leak? Will it overheat? You will soon find out :)

Also, if you are wondering: “Did doing all of this solve your boredom and was it worth decommissioning two machines?” Why yes it did, and it was totally worth it. I'm not sure if I would do it again ,but I'm glad I did it :P If I were to do this again, I would probably use my Dell Inspiron case since its a little roomier, but pushing the limits with a small HP case was fun. If the single radiator isn't enough, I'm not sure what I will do. Since I want to start my next build, I might just revert this back to air cooling, but it would be worth re-visiting in the future(either way we come out winning lol).

I can't wait to see this thing run, I've spent too much time and money making a HP case “suck less” lol. I will let the sealant fully dry this time, since that's what made my lines in my Phantom cloudy(although this time I am using RTV instead of Loctite thread sealant). Will it leak? Will it overheat? You will soon find out :)

Also, if you are wondering: “Did doing all of this solve your boredom and was it worth decommissioning two machines?” Why yes it did, and it was totally worth it. I'm not sure if I would do it again ,but I'm glad I did it :P If I were to do this again, I would probably use my Dell Inspiron case since its a little roomier, but pushing the limits with a small HP case was fun. If the single radiator isn't enough, I'm not sure what I will do. Since I want to start my next build, I might just revert this back to air cooling, but it would be worth re-visiting in the future(either way we come out winning lol).

I have to say this is a really exciting project to follow and hope it turns out excellent. Also just a suggestion to clear up the clutter, snip away any cables from the psu that you are not using and think you'll never use ever (of course just make sure the copper ends don't touch by insulating them). I know that feel with non-modular psus and their stiff bulky cables.

This is one nice project,Thats some really pro grade stuff you did there.Thread followed :)  :lol:

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

That is actually pretty impressive, getting so much stuff in the small case. Crafty.  :) I am here so inappropriate commenting!

Shits getting real:

-snip-

Appropriate Monty Python pic.

Tis_But_A_Scratch_NEW_T_SHIRT_sand.jpg

My favorite out of context section. You keep on giving B. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :D

I had just the thing to add threads to my hole(a tap I think?): - Yep a tap

Doing two holes was quite the workout lol.

doesn't go in easy, but it fits and that's all what matters. This made my night

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler