GTX 970 Owners Club

Hello. Planning to get waterblock for my g1 gaming gtx 970. Any advise? 
Much appreciate. :D

I5 4690K | G1 GTX970 SLI | Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB Avexir Raiden 2133Mhz | Seasonic P-760 | 1.5TB HDD | 128GB SSD | Swiftech H240x | EK-FC970 WF3 Waterblock x2 Windows 10 Home 64Bit | AOC GP2460PQU 144Hz | NZXT Source 530 | 3x CM Jetflo Blue 120mm | 2x Swiftech Helix 140mm | 120mm GTS Radiator | 240mm GTS Radiator 

Hello. Planning to get waterblock for my g1 gaming gtx 970. Any advise?

Much appreciate. :D

Give it to me :D

Nah, start researching about how to flash a custom BIOS to overvolt your card, temps are not going to be an issue anymore with watercooling, so take advantage from that and overvolt/overclock that damn GPU.

The Power LED on my ASUS Strix 970 is a pain in the ASS! Looks like a freakin light house, worst part is, can't turn the damn thing off cause its a power LED. So YAY I plugged my 8-pin Power connector in properly, Congratulations for me! Now to be annoyed endlessly by this stupid little LED.

I was annoyed by this as well, so I put a tiny piece of electrical tape right on the LED. Doesn't annoy me anymore and you can't possibly see the tape unless you look for it.

Give it to me :D

Nah, start researching about how to flash a custom BIOS to overvolt your card, temps are not going to be an issue anymore with watercooling, so take advantage from that and overvolt/overclock that damn GPU.

Ahhh nice to hear that, well actually..im more into aesthetic point of view :D.

Havent really oc my card, iirc, mayb +100 on core and +410 on memory :D just to test it on Unigine Heaven 4.0

I5 4690K | G1 GTX970 SLI | Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB Avexir Raiden 2133Mhz | Seasonic P-760 | 1.5TB HDD | 128GB SSD | Swiftech H240x | EK-FC970 WF3 Waterblock x2 Windows 10 Home 64Bit | AOC GP2460PQU 144Hz | NZXT Source 530 | 3x CM Jetflo Blue 120mm | 2x Swiftech Helix 140mm | 120mm GTS Radiator | 240mm GTS Radiator 

Ahhh nice to hear that, well actually..im more into aesthethic point of view :D.

Havent really oc my card, iirc, mayb +100 on core and +410 on memory :D just to test it on Unigine Heaven 4.0

slap a WB on it and throw my 1.3v bios on and you just might beat me.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

slap a WB on it and throw my 1.3v bios on and you just might beat me.

Im just wondering, where/what kind of tools do i need to take off the backplate and the cooling fan shroud/heatsink?

I rarely seen those kind of screws. :o

Im just wondering, where/what kind of tools do i need to take off the backplate and the cooling fan shroud/heatsink?

I rarely seen those kind of screws. :o

just a standard screw driver set, I took mine off to replace the TP with Liquid Pro

Just finished overclicking my newly replaced GTX 970 G1 gaming, I get +150Mhz and and 250 Mhz Mem clock @112% power limit, 80 degrees max temp without pushing it too far with softwares like Furmark. Is it normal for my graphics card to use only 80% TPD? I wanted to maximize the 15% more, but the card just can't go any further than those clock rates. I guess I got another gimped card, or is there something wrong with my other components?

System:

Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz, MSI z97 PC Mate, Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming, 4x2 Kingston HyperX blu 1600Mhz, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, Corsair CX600M PSU, Corsair AF120 Performance edition 3x, Xigmatek Stock fans 3x, Xigmatek Mach PC Case, Asus VX239H 1080p IPS LED 23". 

Just finished overclicking my newly replaced GTX 970 G1 gaming, I get +150Mhz and and 250 Mhz Mem clock @112% power limit, 80 degrees max temp without pushing it too far with softwares like Furmark. Is it normal for my graphics card to use only 80% TPD? I wanted to maximize the 15% more, but the card just can't go any further than those clock rates. I guess I got another gimped card, or is there something wrong with my other components?

yeah maxwell doesn't use much

yeah maxwell doesn't use much

I see. Worst luck. :(

System:

Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz, MSI z97 PC Mate, Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming, 4x2 Kingston HyperX blu 1600Mhz, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, Corsair CX600M PSU, Corsair AF120 Performance edition 3x, Xigmatek Stock fans 3x, Xigmatek Mach PC Case, Asus VX239H 1080p IPS LED 23". 

The first link, so tht is u? haha..im sorry, after few minutes watching it..i laughed...hahaha.., but its a very good idea. :D Thanks for that :)

As for the 2nd link, i wonder, im using swiftech h240-x, is the coolant inside the res enough for closed-loop for cpu and gpu. Do i need to add anything else?

Planning it this way

h240x pump --> cpu --> gpu --> h240x's rad --> h240x pump --> and repeat/so on.

Sorry i dont have much ideas in this custom loop.  :o

The first link, so tht is u? haha..im sorry, after few minutes watching it..i laughed...hahaha.., but its a very good idea. :D Thanks for that :)

As for the 2nd link, i wonder, im using swiftech h240-x, is the coolant inside the res enough for closed-loop for cpu and gpu. Do i need to add anything else?

Planning it this way

h240x pump --> cpu --> gpu --> h240x's rad --> h240x pump --> and repeat/so on.

Sorry i dont have much ideas in this custom loop.  :o

Your loop plan sounds fine to me. I take it that the reservoir is integral within the pump in those H240's? If so, it should be fine. The 970 runs quite cool, even on air, and mine hasn't gone over 47c once watercooled. That was when I benched it. Usually it maxes out at 37c when just gaming.

As for using the windforce x 3 fans as an 'active backplate' which reacts to temperature rises in the GPU and cranks up the fans thus cooling the memory better.. How good is that? ;)

Another question before I try to flash a custom bios on my G1 Gaming card. Afaik this card has dual bios, but I wasn't able to find where the switch is or am I wrong?

And if does, how do I use the dual bios feature of the card? Thanks!

Sorry about the noobish question, just want to make this as fool proof as possible. :)

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

Another question before I try to flash a custom bios on my G1 Gaming card. Afaik this card has dual bios, but I wasn't able to find where the switch is or am I wrong?

And if does, how do I use the dual bios feature of the card? Thanks!

Sorry about the noobish question, just want to make this as fool proof as possible. :)

As far as I'm aware, it's a single bios which can be switched out for another one. Although, I profess that it's not me that should be answering bios questions. Others here will know much more than I on that.

Your loop plan sounds fine to me. I take it that the reservoir is integral within the pump in those H240's? If so, it should be fine. The 970 runs quite cool, even on air, and mine hasn't gone over 47c once watercooled. That was when I benched it. Usually it maxes out at 37c when just gaming.

As for using the windforce x 3 fans as an 'active backplate' which reacts to temperature rises in the GPU and cranks up the fans thus cooling the memory better.. How good is that? ;)

Alright, thanks :)

As the W3x fans act as 'active backplate', yes such brilliant idea :) even it look terrible as u mentioned in that video, hahahah it really made my day. :D

:) even it look terrible as u mentioned in that video, hahahah it really made my day. :D

Most prototypes don't look pretty. :)

I hope that some developers see that mod and take note that people want more than a nice metal sheet for a backplate. The power plug is redundant and there for the taking once you have watercooled your card. So, there are plenty of options. Invent an uplighting plate that plugs in there. Something to shed a nice light on the PCB and surrounding area. Or simply make a slim, slow fan, actively cooled backplate, as I've demonstrasted with that mod.

If people are buying 'basic metal' backplates, they are likely to buy ones that actively cool and/or light up the components under or around it. Does this sound like a sound idea? Or not? You tell me guys?

My MSI 970 4G starts to whine like a sick cat whenever the clock speed raises over 1450MHZ...

Ad victoriam ex machina non sibi sed patriae

you mean the 3.5 GB of ram owners club

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

I am gaming on a WQHD Monitor and have a seperate 1080p monitor. I play the most demanding games and I never ran into any problems.

If you want 4K gaming or more, this is the wrong card anyways.

I wouldn't support Nvidia if I had any viable alternative (Zero Fan Mode, ultra silent, CUDA, shadowplay, G-sync), but since AMD cards are not my way to go, I have to.

I am gaming on a WQHD Monitor and have a seperate 1080p monitor. I play the most demanding games and I never ran into any problems.

If you want 4K gaming or more, this is the wrong card anyways.

I wouldn't support Nvidia if I had any viable alternative (Zero Fan Mode, ultra silent, CUDA, shadowplay, G-sync), but since AMD cards are not my way to go, I have to.

that's fine, i was just making a joke, i got a R9 290 just because it was $200, which is about 361.48 German mark (thanks Google currency converter)

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

wow havent heard that one before

-1/10 for originality

10/10 you tried

ontopic: im kinda tempted to flash my BIOS but i think ill hold off until i get my MX-4 thermal paste :P

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

that's fine, i was just making a joke, i got a R9 290 just because it was $200, which is about 361.48 German mark (thanks Google currency converter)

German Mark?

I don't know where you live in, but there is a thing called Euro going on for about 15 years now :D

I love my huge Zotac GTX 970 Amp edition :D

Equality doesn't mean Justice.