GTX 970 Owners Club

14 minutes ago, loony979 said:

ok so i did the tutorial down to a tee ,went back into windows and here i am What's next i guess it worked ? (P.S.) THAT'S A LOUD BEEP it makes when it asks you lol.

What's next (i did watch jayztwocents vid on BIOS flashing. but he mentions a little bit of coding to do for MSI .

Also my MSI is still saying the same stuff:

Pic

Yeah, you do have to enable some extra voltage settings in msi afterburner if you want to set the voltages through afterburner. I personally set the exact overvolt and overclocks through the BIOS so I don't know how to unlock those settings but you could use this guide I guess: http://www.overclock.net/t/1398725/unlock-afterburner-limits-on-lots-of-cards-some-with-llc-one-tool-for-all-ab-versions

However, I would advise you to first check the BIOS if it functions propperly by running some stresstests without overclocking.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

6 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

However, I would advise you to first check the BIOS if it functions propperly by running some stresstests without overclocking.

ok Without overclocking i got this.

Heaven Valley =

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well im running my 4690K at 4.7Ghz lol i guess thats a huge part, also what would be a better benchmark then? i have furmark too, is that any better?

Don't use furmark...it's a heat machine.  That's about all it's good for.  Use Heaven, Valley or Firestrike.

You need to download GPUz, and have it open to the sensors tab.  Watch the perf cap reason line, it'll tell you if your GPU is hitting the power limit perf cap or not.  Or, any perf cap for that matter.  "PerfCap Reason" line is the bottom line, it outlines the performance cap for your card.  

This is what a power limit perf cap looks like.  Notice how when the green pops up on the perfcap reason line, the core clock drops a little bit?  That's a power limit perf cap.  The card is trying to pull too much power, so it clocks the core down to get back under it.

8x4sZTX.jpg

This is what it should look like.  No power limit perf cap.  The core clock stays steady all the way across.

uVcttai.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

I have a problem with overclocking my 970  g1 gaming. For some reason anytime I try to push the card any further from it's stock clock, any form of game or benchmark will crash. Is it possible that this is happening because of my CPU (Core I5 4460)? Or is it possible because of my cheap 650w power supply? 

2 minutes ago, ConnerArkell said:

I have a problem with overclocking my 970  g1 gaming. For some reason anytime I try to push the card any further from it's stock clock, any form of game or benchmark will crash. Is it possible that this is happening because of my CPU (Core I5 4460)? Or is it possible because of my cheap 650w power supply? 

Post a screen shot of the settings, and my GTX 970 G1 Gaming with my 4790K on a 650W PSU has no problems, so it won't be the PSU (I have a Corsair VS650-low quality and overrpiced but it at least meets Australian safety standards).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

29 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Don't use furmark...it's a heat machine.  That's about all it's good for.  Use Heaven, Valley or Firestrike.

You need to download GPUz, and have it open to the sensors tab.  Watch the perf cap reason line, it'll tell you if your GPU is hitting the power limit perf cap or not.  Or, any perf cap for that matter.  "PerfCap Reason" line is the bottom line, it outlines the performance cap for your card.  

This is what a power limit perf cap looks like.  Notice how when the green pops up on the perfcap reason line, the core clock drops a little bit?  That's a power limit perf cap.  The card is trying to pull too much power, so it clocks the core down to get back under it.

This is what it should look like.  No power limit perf cap.  The core clock stays steady all the way across.

ok so im right now getting voltage limit caped, so i raise my mVs and it should do better possiably? not getting any power draw problems at all

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

31 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Furmark is actually good for burning in new TIM from what I've found. Although I do pity those who try to solder the heatsink onto their graphics card's GPU.

PMSL

Any know the settings for msi afterburner and how to code it so i can put the voltage to 1.3v

Also save it thanks. i think this is nearly all done for me .

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

23 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok so im right now getting voltage limit caped, so i raise my mVs and it should do better possiably? not getting any power draw problems at all

It might.  As long as you keep the card cool.  Maxwell will boost higher, the cooler you keep it.  So, with air cooling, you'll need to balance that...create a custom fan curve and that'll help.

The most you'll likely get out of the stock bios is 1.256v, maybe 1.262v, so....go crazy.  There's nothing in that, that's going to hurt that GPU...as long as you can control the temps....

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

14 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Any know the settings for msi afterburner and how to code it so i can put the voltage to 1.3v

Also save it thanks. i think this is nearly all done for me .

The voltage will be locked in the bios....has nothing to do with afterburner.

Ok so i got a new OC stabile now :D updated drivers to 359.06 and now this is my overcloc

core: 1660Mhz

Memory: 3655Mhz

this is my new Valley score:

valley_score.JPG

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok so i got a new OC stabile now :D updated drivers to 359.06 and now this is my overcloc

core: 1660Mhz

Memory: 3655Mhz

this is my new Valley score:

Don't read the clocks from the benchmarks.  Read them from GPUz.  I can pretty much guarantee you're not running 1660 on the core with that score.

5 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Don't read the clocks from the benchmarks.  Read them from GPUz.  I can pretty much guarantee you're not running 1660 on the core with that score.

dosent matter anyway, it didnt manage more then 5min of CS:GO anyway :/ 

Builds:

Spoiler

lol, yeah....you'll have to find an overclock that will work for your games.  Benchmark clocks will be a LOT different.  I ran a daily clock at 1550 / 2000, but could bench as high as 1671 / 2210.

15 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Ok dialed it back so now this is the speeds im getting as MAX values in GPUz

core: 1507Mhz

memory: 1851.4

does that sound better to you? way lower then what Valley told me

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok dialed it back so now this is the speeds im getting as MAX values in GPUz

core: 1507Mhz

memory: 1851.4

does that sound better to you? way lower then what Valley told me

Yeah, the benchmarks very rarely read the clocks correctly.

3 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Yeah, the benchmarks very rarely read the clocks correctly.

ok il keep that in mind for the future :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

Damn, I need to get this acrylic tubing bent and installed so I can get back to benching!!! :D

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

ok now that i got the new bios in done what thee tutorial says to do.

What is next ?

Untitled.jpg

17 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

3 hours ago, loony979 said:

ok now that i got the new bios in done what thee tutorial says to do.

What is next ?

Untitled.jpg

What bios version is that?  And...where did you get it?

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dosent matter anyway, it didnt manage more then 5min of CS:GO anyway :/ 

10 hours ago, Vellinious said:

lol, yeah....you'll have to find an overclock that will work for your games.  Benchmark clocks will be a LOT different.  I ran a daily clock at 1550 / 2000, but could bench as high as 1671 / 2210.

I run mine at a daily 24/7 of 1605 / 2000 with no problems at all on the 1.275 bios.
Have not had any crashes in anything as of yet. Temps stay around the 50c when playing something like GTA V

Congrats.  Good card

33 minutes ago, Purplehazeffc said:

I run mine at a daily 24/7 of 1605 / 2000 with no problems at all on the 1.275 bios.
Have not had any crashes in anything as of yet. Temps stay around the 50c when playing something like GTA V

Show off :P

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

My G1 970 was hitting 81*c with 1.3v but didnt scale at all.

1525/1935 on stock+.87mv with 71*c max,..., AND 1.275/1.3 makes no change to high clock stability :(

Back to stock for me, not that I mind, good performance and low temps.

/Lucky enough to not get any whine (cept those thousandFPS scenarios)

Happy to do any comparisons if people want.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 hours ago, Benji_w said:

Show off :P

I'd need a 240mm rad to see similar clocks since my 970 puts out so much damn heat and is a voltage whore (it also goes to 112% power usage when playing an game that puts it close to 100% load and its overclocked to 1500MHz).

PMSL