GTX 970 Owners Club

2 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Well then your issue seems to be that you need more power on default, so set a higher wattage than 310W. But I think it would be too much unless you have water cooling. 

Not my case so, here ends my oc adventure.

And again, thanks for your time sir.

6 minutes ago, K41 said:

Not my case so, here ends my oc adventure.

And again, thanks for your time sir.

No problem. My G1 970 with the stock cooler runs at 1.262 and sometimes I hit the 310W limit too. And if I set anything higher my stock air cooling can't cope. You can try to give it more W and see how high your temps go and if it's too high you can always lower the power limit.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

4 hours ago, Monarch said:

No problem. My G1 970 with the stock cooler runs at 1.262 and sometimes I hit the 310W limit too. And if I set anything higher my stock air cooling can't cope. You can try to give it more W and see how high your temps go and if it's too high you can always lower the power limit.

Gigabyte's factory applied thermal paste is shit. I had replaced that and I could do 1.3v without problems. In witcher 3 it ran hotter (~82oc) than usual, but it was the only game that pushed my GPU that far.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

15 minutes ago, arniks8 said:

Gigabyte's factory applied thermal paste is shit. I had replaced that and I could do 1.3v without problems. In witcher 3 it ran hotter (~82oc) than usual, but it was the only game that pushed my GPU that far.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case with mine. Cause the whole thing gets really hot, which means the heat is dissipated well. TW3 is mostly GPU-bound so that's why you get such high temps. This means that your cooling is insufficient in heavy GPU-bound scenarios, which is where having high clocks matters the most.

My 970 wants to pull more than 310W at 1.262V sometimes, which is more than what my 290X pulled and it had a heatsink twice as big. So I don't think it's a good idea pushing the voltages that high.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

I'm pretty sure that's not the case with mine. Cause the whole thing gets really hot, which means the heat is dissipated well. TW3 is mostly GPU-bound so that's why you get such high temps. This means that your cooling is insufficient in heavy GPU-bound scenarios, which is where having high clocks matters the most.

My 970 wants to pull more than 310W at 1.262V sometimes, which is more than what my 290X pulled and it had a heatsink twice as big.

I know why I got so high temps, it's just that original thermal paste is shit and changing it could make a drop in temperature, but if your GPU wants to pull that much wattage, then you got unlucky with your GPU.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb

1 minute ago, arniks8 said:

I know why I got so high temps, it's just that original thermal paste is shit and changing it could make a drop in temperature, but if your GPU wants to pull that much wattage, then you got unlucky with your GPU.

I don't think it has to do with my particular GPU, it also has decent ASIC quality (77.5%). OCed it performs as a stock Gigabyte 980, which pulls about the same wattage, so I'm pretty sure it's normal. At default it's limited to 250W, so it makes sense for a heavily OCed one to reach 300+.  

6 hours ago, Monarch said:

Why? They all do the same things, except some have an extra option to set minimum voltage. 

I don't know, but I get higher stable overclocks with OC Guru and my G1 Gaming. That being said, it only manages a 50-70MHz overclock (100-120MHz due to it going above the default boost speed by 50Hz), and it will not run stable if I change the voltage-which seems to be a problem only with low ASIC score cards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, arniks8 said:

Does changing the thermal paste voids the warranty? I think I have more than one year with this GPU, temps aren't that bad but they could be better. Is it too hard to clean/remove all the cooler and change the paste?

8 hours ago, Doughnutnator said:

Does changing the thermal paste voids the warranty? I think I have more than one year with this GPU, temps aren't that bad but they could be better. Is it too hard to clean/remove all the cooler and change the paste?

It voids warranty. Clearing original paste is easy. If temperature is not a problem, then there is no need for replacing it.

Greetings, 

heres default

here is my MSI GTX 970 bios:
GM204.zip

In fact this is (according to the physical sticker on the graphic card in the pc, and its red color) a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. The card uses an 8pin+6pin powersupply.

i wish it to be unthrottled, so it can run on a high OC without dropping in speed and just on supplied coolers (air).

Would you please set me up a good and safe & high clocks combo which (fixed all three gpu clocks on same value like 1443 Mhz, fixed memory on 4000Mhz, adapted voltages to 1275mV and adapted power) this card can handle ?

Thank you.

Why don't you just open MSI Afterburner, set the power limit to max, core +150 and mem +400 and see if youre stable before trying any bios tweaks

• 2 weeks later...

are gtx 970 g1 fans spinning all the time in stock sittings?

6 hours ago, ahmedoedo said:

are gtx 970 g1 fans spinning all the time in stock sittings?

Yep. And they need to.

PMSL

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Yep. And they need to.

Need to? I have my 970 with the 0db fan mod, am I harming the card?

On 3/12/2015 at 5:44 PM, Gofspar said:

LinusTechTips GTX 970 Owners club

This is for me and other peoples assorted bios's for GTX 970's and for owners to just hang out and chat about their overclocking adventures and other things.

CUSTOM BIOS

disclaimer if you break yo shit like a doofus not my fault, kappa.

ALSO YOU COPY MY BIOS'S INTO YOUR STOCK BIOS, NOT DIRECTLY FLASH IT.

GTX 970 BIOS's

Gigabyte G1 GAMING GTX 970 BIOS's

350 Watt TDP, 0% fan and anti-throttle voltage tables.

1.212v version http://bit.ly/20Dikyd 

1.262v version http://bit.ly/1Imhm17

1.275v version http://bit.ly/1JiCaHK

1.300v version http://bit.ly/1LH89RY

1.312v verison http://bit.ly/1NAyOBU (Please don't use this on air for long term use but people on  water can run it 24/7 no problem, but only use for short term benching on air.)

GTX 980 BIOS's

I will add more BIOS's if you PM me your stock bios and let me do some testing.

FLASHING TOOLS AND BIOS EDITORS:

Nvflash with cert bypass: http://goo.gl/Ip3DPH

Maxwell Bios Tweaker: http://goo.gl/hTHrzm

BIOS FLASHING TUTORIAL

NOSPIN FAN NOTICE:

Make sure you set a fan profile like this or similar for 0% fan to work.

f06c65232a81fa836d6cf98988f155c8.png

Well I have joined your club I have a GTX 970 FTW EDITION which I was able to overclock from their and at this point I think the clock speed is near if not at a 980 maybe 980TI I have 1080p monitors so yes I take performance and things like ambient occlusion and MXAA serious

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

8 hours ago, Savageiste said:

Well I have joined your club I have a GTX 970 FTW EDITION which I was able to overclock from their and at this point I think the clock speed is near if not at a 980 maybe 980TI I have 1080p monitors so yes I take performance and things like ambient occlusion and MXAA serious

I'd like to inform you on the fact that the main difference between 980 ti, 980 and 970 is the ammount of cores. Their clock speeds and overclockability is about the same (although higher end cards generally produce more heat). What are the overclocks you achieved and what 3d mark fire strike scores do you get?

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

On 30/04/2016 at 5:43 AM, Savageiste said:

kek, 980 and 980Ti has more cores, not to mention 6Gb of vram on 980Ti.

Im to scared to BIOS flash my 970 on a $521 card .as it works ,it's watercooled wih my cpu .

The loop is a 240mm and a 480mm while in games MSI says 31. and on the loop i have a bitspower censor it says 21 idle 32 load.

So that's reading the water (how i like it to) .

My main question today is why am i only able to hit +20 on memory clock and core clock +80 .

i have settings:

Capabilities properties all checked.

And tool tips all of.annoying .

And the stuttering in gta v grr.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

1 minute ago, loony979 said:

Im to scared to BIOS flash my 970 on a $521 card .as it works ,it's watercooled wih my cpu .

The loop is a 240mm and a 480mm while in games MSI says 31. and on the loop i have a bitspower censor it says 21 idle 32 load.

My main question today is why am i only able to hit +20 on memory clock and core clock +80 .

i have settings:

Could you post a SS of your settings?

PMSL

Things I just noticed with my GTX 970 G1 Gaming:

• Overclocking the (Samsung) vRAM past 300MHz has the bandwidth get more unsteady the closer to 4GB vRAM usage you get
  • Overclocking the vRAM doesn't increase the bandwidth at all
  • Overclocking the core has a large impact on memory bandwidth

PMSL

ok. thinking of installing the new driver. 365.10.

not sure yet then ddr the old driver 1st.

Untitled.jpg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

1 minute ago, loony979 said:

ok. thinking of installing the new driver. 365.10.

not sure yet then ddr the old driver 1st.

Untitled.jpg

Right click the top of GPUz and click "Read ASIC quality", and I'm using 355.98 and my G1 Gaming is so far managing 100MHz core with the voltage at +0.087v/power limit 112% thermal limit 79oC (at +0.025v. it only does +50MHz stable)

PMSL

4 minutes ago, loony979 said:

i have settings:

If you happen to have a bad chip you can't overclock that far, even with a loop.

What are the GPU-Z perf. caps you are running into?

Possibly increasing the power limit though a BIOS flash would help a huge ammount in your situation.

What are the actual clocks anyways after you overclocked and go ingame or run a stresstest?

Also, GTA V is a very heavy game, even with the settings not maxed out it is one of the few games that manages to go past the 3.5GB on the 970, even at something like 1080p. Once it goes over that barrier the FPS will suddenly drop very quickly. If it happends to be hanging around the 3.5GB range, you will get unstable FPS and if the settings are simply too high for your card and cpu to handle (which is a possibility as I saw my 3770k @4.9GHz getting almost maxed out in usage during GTA V) it might start stuttering.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build