Using new VDSL2 gateway with existing DD-WRT router

crumbworks
Go to solution Solved by Darren,

Let the VDSL2 modem be just that, a modem whilst you use your DD-WRT router to do everything else? Should be as simple as disabling it's DHCP server, assigning your router a static IP and then setting the range of DHCP leases on your DD-WRT route to avoid conflict with the modem.

Okay, I'll try to make this brief, if possible.... we are with TekSavvy (Canadian ISP, wholesale reseller of Bell)

Before, we had legacy DSL -- using a simple store-bought ADSL2+ modem (in bridge mode) and our own high-end DD-WRT router -- so the router was handling the connection, via PPPoE.

We just upgraded to the much faster VDSL2 with TekSavvy, which requires this Bell-branded Sagemcom Gateway -- and putting it into bridge mode is quite an ordeal (and not guaranteed to work), especially since it came with the newest firmware revision, which doesn't let me Telnet in and basically "hack" bridge mode.

I still want to exclusively use our high-end DD-WRT router for our home network -- it has like 50,000 more options than this stupid Bell gateway (which, no surprise, has been totally "dumbed down" by Bell to just like 3 or 4 screens) plus we've highly customized how our home network operates, within that router.

Since I can't feasibly put this gateway into bridge mode, what is my best option?

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

Let the VDSL2 modem be just that, a modem whilst you use your DD-WRT router to do everything else? Should be as simple as disabling it's DHCP server, assigning your router a static IP and then setting the range of DHCP leases on your DD-WRT route to avoid conflict with the modem.

Maybe you could buy a replacement vdsl-modem and use instead. Or let the sagem do all the internet stuff (nat) and have the dd-wrt as accesspoint, dhcp etc.