Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

Arctic Cooling MX-2 for the cheap, Noctua NT-H1 for the goods.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

here's an old list including Mayonnaise, toothpaste, butter, lipstick and chocolate.

zrg5aQL.gif

lol

Arctic Silver. ;p

I like MX-4, Arctic Silver 5 turns into glue I find, IC Diamond is good as well.

Arctic silver 5

Noctua's thermal paste is not bad. 

Arctic Cooling MX-2 for the cheap, Noctua NT-H1 for the goods.

Well it looks like NT-H1 and Arctic Silver 5 are the two most favoured. And also when you are applying it, I put an uncooked-grain-of-rice sized drop on and then spread it so it covers the entire plate like this: http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u57670/coolerlift.jpg . Is this right? And does it matter if you put it on the CPU or the Heatsink?

Well it looks like NT-H1 and Arctic Silver 5 are the two most favoured. And also when you are applying it, I put an uncooked-grain-of-rice sized drop on and then spread it so it covers the entire plate like this: http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u57670/coolerlift.jpg . Is this right? And does it matter if you put it on the CPU or the Heatsink?

Go NT-H1, I forgot to mention it. Like I said Arctic Silver 5 turns into glue from my expediences, meaning the cooler will not come of nicely.

Spreading it is the worst way, just a pea size drop and your fine. If you do the spreading method , the cpu will overheat.

Spreading it is the worst way, just a pea size drop and your fine. If you do the spreading method , the cpu will overheat.

Hmmm...

CPU is a little easier IMO (don't smear it all around or possibly get it on something). I tend to use just over a pea-sized amount.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

CPU is a little easier IMO (don't smear it all around or possibly get it on something). I tend to use just over a pea-sized amount.

So just put the pea on and it will spread out when you put the cooler on?

I'd still like to see how JB weld would work.

SOMEONE WITH MORE MONEY THAN ME GIVE IT A TRY

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So just put the pea on and it will spread out when you put the cooler on?

Yup. So long as the cooler is mounted properly and snugly (but not too snug).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Hmmm...

what do mean hmmm when you do the spread method, theres air bubbles between the heatsink and cpu . It's best to do the pea size method.

An X axis on that graph above would be nice. Presumably that shows temperature, but is it under load, with what cooler and what stress test, what CPU, overclocked? Almost meaningless to show a comparison of temperatures that aren't from load when we know nothing about the test.

Arctic Silver 5. I know this because my laptop is pushing a bit more heat out of it than it usually did. (which means more heat is getting to the heatpipe -- yaaaaay)

You will be pretty happy with any aftermarket thermal paste to be honest, but Arctic Silver won't set you back that much anyway.

If dont benchmark or push hard ware very hard thermal dosnt matter... If it did then pcs from 20 years ago wouldnt run today

here's an old list including Mayonnaise, toothpaste, butter, lipstick and chocolate.

zrg5aQL.gif

:D i like how a broad spectrum of those are not even better than mayonaise :D i mean come on u mean to tell me i can go to the fridge and drop some mayo on the cpu and it will work just as good as (relative) expensive paste? :D why are we buying this sh*t then 

(i bet it smells though)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

In terms of the best of the best, hands down the Coolaboratory Liquid Pro. It is better than anything else by a huge margin but it is very toxic and not for the faint hearted.

In terms of mainstream brands. They are pretty much all the same

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616-18.html

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

• 3 weeks later...

Which Thermal Paste Should I Go For?

I Love Dogs and Video Editing

Which Thermal Paste Should I Go For?

IC Diamond is fairly well known.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas