Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

@Bluejay0 Do you use IC Diamond?

No. I use a spare MX-4 I had at my office. Decent temps but compared to other pastes it will only be a few degrees hotter or cooler. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

@Bluejay0 with all those problems with IC Diamond damaging the metal etc... I think I will go with MX-4 unless AS 5 is better. That $4 off seems pretty tasty. :P

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

@Bluejay0 with all those problems with IC Diamond damaging the metal etc... I think I will go with MX-4 unless AS 5 is better. That $4 off seems pretty tasty. :P

Get something on sale. Unless you are installing the cooler for the first time. If so? This guy is right.

The one that it comes with is plenty good.

Don't waste money on different paste. 

AS5 is comparatively crappy now, so don't bother with that if you so choose to buy paste anyway. 

The difference on these things is 1-3 degrees. The coolermaster stuff is fine. Put a bb sized dot in the middle of the cooler or a rice sized line following the cpu under the lid (I use the ball method because I am lazy) and let the evo 212 do the work spreading it while you screw it in. I used the coolermaster junk that came with my evo and Haswell runs hot as hell and I am at or under 70C at 4.5ghz rendering.

If you want to go all out you can tint the evo heatsink and by tint I mean put some paste lazily on it and rub it in and off with the silly cardboard thing they give you. Evo 212 doesn't need tinting as much as the older plus model did though. I tinted mine cus it wasn't totally solid on the copper.

If it takes you more than 15 seconds to tint and put the paste on the CPU? You are trying too hard. :)

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

The difference between thermal pastes is negligible. i use AS5 on my cpu and gtx 770.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

I plan on getting Noctua NH-T1 for... Reasons...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Arctic MX-2

non conductive

7 year life expectancy

great thermal transfer

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

ive used Tuniq TX-4 before. I have to say its the best ive used to be honest. Im not sure why NO ONE talks about it. it'll take 2-3 degrees off temps than most thermal paste. the only problem i have with it is that its extremely thick and sticky so application will be hard if you use the spread method as it suggests. but i just use the pea method it works fine.

Ive also used cooler masters stock thermal paste that comes with a hyper 212. it works perfectly fine. just dont do anything stupid and dont put too much. you'll be fine. save your money for a few months and get a better cooler instead if your concerned about temps.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Arctic MX-2

non conductive

7 year life expectancy

great thermal transfer

MX-4 has higher thermal transfer, I use to use MX-2 on my old Socket 939 system and it worked beautifully. I would aim for MX-4 tho if you were in the market of buying some.

MX-2 = 5.6 W/(mK)

MX-4 = 8.5 W/(mK)

As you can see, big difference. AS5 is suppose to be 8.7 W/(mK) which is really good, but studies show it being not even a fraction of that. I've used AS5 in the past as well, and it does work good. Tho personally I would go with MX-4. Another bonus is MX-4 has no cure time, unlike AS5.

MX-4 has higher thermal transfer, I use to use MX-2 on my old Socket 939 system and it worked beautifully. I would aim for MX-4 tho if you were in the market of buying some.

MX-2 = 5.6 W/(mK)

MX-4 = 8.5 W/(mK)

As you can see, big difference. AS5 is suppose to be 8.7 W/(mK) which is really good, but studies show it being not even a fraction of that. I've used AS5 in the past as well, and it does work good. Tho personally I would go with MX-4. Another bonus is MX-4 has no cure time, unlike AS5.

I value life expectancy as much as I do thermal transfer. MX-4 does not specify a life expectancy . It could very well last just as long with better thermal transfer but I feel a little more comforted knowing the manufacture will specify a life expectancy on a TIM product

I run some pretty heavy volts to my cpus and Im not interested in changing out TIM every couple weeks lol ( AS-5 was a nightmare on Haswell and I used this stuff for years and years)

I know MX-4 is a great product and lots of people use it.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I value life expectancy as much as I do thermal transfer. MX-4 does not specify a life expectancy . It could very well last just as long with better thermal transfer but I feel a little more comforted knowing the manufacture will specify a life expectancy on a TIM product

I run some pretty heavy volts to my cpus and Im not interested in changing out TIM every couple weeks lol ( AS-5 was a nightmare on Haswell and I used this stuff for years and years)

I know MX-4 is a great product and lots of people use it.

MX-4 has a 8 year lifespan expectancy from the manufacture.

MX-4 has a 8 year lifespan expectancy from the manufacture.

yep your right!

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/thermal-compound/mx-4.html

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna go with the MX-4 Thanks again.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Indego xtreme if you want the best imo. Otherwise, it's all pretty much the same

It really doesn't make much of a difference. Just get some artic mx or ic diamond.

Noctua NT-H1, Thermene (graphene thermal paste), IC Diamond 7 and IC Diamond 24 are the best.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra, or CLU

not for beginners though, and its a bit tedious to put on. It's liquid metal so you have to "paint" it on very carefully because its conductive.

Anyways, thats the best "performing" thermal paste.

I didn't care that much, and just used some AS5. The Radioshack near me actually sells AS5.