DirectX12 AMD and Nvidia Multi-GPU Configurations Confirmed

CM2546

AMD would allow it but no Nvidia

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

well, 6 weeks ago if I had of asked if Nvidia would have made physx open source, everyone would have laughed at me and said absolutely not,  Nvidia won't allow this, that or the other thing.  I am going to wait and see before I make concrete claims about what either Nvidia or AMD do about this. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This hardly confirms anything, she obviously just googled the answer. Cross vendor multi-GPU will NEVER work. Google Hydralogix, epic fail, Nvidia blocked it at every level.

Here's hoping I can enjoy PhysX alongside Free Sync (If ever Nvidia decides not to be a fucking asshole about it).

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

well, 6 weeks ago if I had of asked if Nvidia would have made physx open source, everyone would have laughed at me and said absolutely not,  Nvidia won't allow this, that or the other thing.  I am going to wait and see before I make concrete claims about what either Nvidia or AMD do about this. 

To be clear, it's not exactly "open source". Or completely open source (CPU portion only).

Furthermore, you'll have to jump through hoops, memberships and agreements to get access to the SDK (https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-source-github), unlike the Linux kernel (https://github.com/torvalds/linux).

Even Tech Report doesn't explicitly say "open source". (http://techreport.com/news/27910/nvidia-physx-joins-the-free-source-party).

From what I understand it's free to USE ONLY for an Nvidia registered developer program member, but nowhere near open source accessible, copying allowed and modifiable like the Linux kernel. No modification allowed from what I see so far (https://developer.nvidia.com/registered-developer-agreement). Much like Mantle, but with further restrictions to implementation. (CPU PhysX allowed only)

Well, in the end, Nvidia did open up PhysX as free license and free to use, but did end up doing the same, not allowing this and that.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Even if cross vendor configs do not happen (I also think that's almost impossible) it still means that you could mix and match cards from different generations and such, for both companies, it's still good news imho.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Even if cross vendor configs do not happen (I also think that's almost impossible) it still means that you could mix and match cards from different generations and such, for both companies, it's still good news imho.

Yep, I will actually be able to ue my GTX 650ti for something else other than being a PhysX card for battle field and unreal tournament 3.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

To be clear, it's not exactly "open source". Or completely open source (CPU portion only).

Furthermore, you'll have to jump through hoops, memberships and agreements to get access to the SDK (https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-source-github), unlike the Linux kernel (https://github.com/torvalds/linux).

Even Tech Report doesn't explicitly say "open source". (http://techreport.com/news/27910/nvidia-physx-joins-the-free-source-party).

From what I understand it's free to USE ONLY for an Nvidia registered developer program member, but nowhere near open source accessible, copying allowed and modifiable like the Linux kernel. No modification allowed from what I see so far (https://developer.nvidia.com/registered-developer-agreement). Much like Mantle, but with further restrictions to implementation. (CPU PhysX allowed only)

Well, in the end, Nvidia did open up PhysX as free license and free to use, but did end up doing the same, not allowing this and that.

I think you missed the point.  Had this been suggested before the news broke everyone would have shouted not likely. that is the point.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

AMD will probably be fine with mixing GPUs, but douche Nvidia won't allow it because its a selfish bitch of a company.

How they earn people's respect is beyond me.

AMD doesn't give two shits about you, but you're going to call Nvidia a "selfish bitch of a company" for no real reason? Kk.

AMD will probably be fine with mixing GPUs, but douche Nvidia won't allow it because its a selfish bitch of a company.

How they earn people's respect is beyond me.

It will take at least a year to work this perfectly out, I wouldn't be surprised seeing people storming forums with stability issues. Nvidia hasn't said anything about supporting AMD cards or not, you could presume the same thing from AMD.

AMD doesn't give two shits about you, but you're going to call Nvidia a "selfish bitch of a company" for no real reason? Kk.

34oshn4-1.jpg

Seriously, AMD relations with consumers is easily ten times stronger than Nvidia's. You can go on twitter right now and message some of the higher ups in the company and have a conversation with them like normal people. Nvidia on the other hand won't hold their ass for you, they just want your money.

Seriously, AMD relations with consumers is easily ten times stronger than Nvidia's. You can go on twitter right now and message some of the higher ups in the company and have a conversation with them like normal people. Nvidia on the other hand won't hold their ass for you, they just want your money.

O really?

hS0U2tN.png

Literally recommending their cheapest GPU and nothing else. So I don't see how Nvidia is "HAHA WE GOT YOUR MONEY ROFL".

Also as far as I'm aware AMD is the one who actually charged 800$ (1000$ incl board/cooler) for a 1000MHz overclock while offering 50% worse performance than a 500$ CPU. And yea I'm talking about the 9590. I haven't seen anyone doing this kind of scam yet.

34oshn4-1.jpg

you just keep telling yourself that.

Looking at sales figures, market share, etc it seems more people have less of a problem with nvidia than you think.  Please stop making up figures.

We knew this a while ago, just an FYI.,

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

O really?

- snip -

Literally recommending their cheapest GPU and nothing else. So I don't see how Nvidia is "HAHA WE GOT YOUR MONEY ROFL".

Also as far as I'm aware AMD is the one who actually charged 800$ (1000$ incl board/cooler) for a 1000MHz overclock while offering 50% worse performance than a 500$ CPU. And yea I'm talking about the 9590. I haven't seen anyone doing this kind of scam yet.

As always my post went completely over your head (a reoccurring trend). In that promotion Nvidia is probably trying to push stock because any stock that doesn't sell is losing the company money. Half of the games listed run like dog on the GTX 750. So your argument should resemble something more like this "TRY ONE OF THESE CARDS, AND WHEN IT DOESN'T PERFORM WORTH DOG UPGRADE TO OUR $3000 TITAN Z". Nvidia already hit this wall with the GTX 970 stunt they pulled. What happened? Sure send us back your GTX 970 for a full refund and upgrade to our GTX 980 that doesn't have this problem. I could also throw in AMD's "Never Settle" campaign that is still active today that offers free games and recommends lower end cards.

Tiers.jpg

Also I don't comprehend your off-topic'ness. This thread is about GPUs and not CPUs.

you just keep telling yourself that.

Looking at sales figures, market share, etc it seems more people have less of a problem with nvidia than you think.  Please stop making up figures.

Less problems? I would suggest you to stay relevant to my posts. Consumer relations are from interaction with the consumers and not just about supplying a product.

As always my post went completely over your head (a reoccurring trend). In that promotion Nvidia is probably trying to push stock because any stock that doesn't sell is losing the company money. Half of the games listed run like dog on the GTX 750. So your argument should resemble something more like this "TRY ONE OF THESE CARDS, AND WHEN IT DOESN'T PERFORM WORTH DOG UPGRADE TO OUR $3000 TITAN Z". Nvidia already hit this wall with the GTX 970 stunt they pulled. What happened? Sure send us back your GTX 970 for a full refund and upgrade to our GTX 980 that doesn't have this problem.

They don't seem to be recommending their 980/Titan Z at all; http://www.geforce.com/hardware/help-me-choose-gpu

But AMD on the other hand;

1%20-%20Pricing.png

Recommending their most expensive GPU's for their CPU's (the lowest 8xxx getting a 280 recommended means it bottlenecks a 290x) when the difference is 5% between the lowest FX8xxx & FX 9590, that's not going to lift a 80% bottleneck up compared to Intel.

Ow, theyre also suggesting a 990FX (which doesn't have any advantages over 970 other than SLI/CF) and 2133MHz which doesnt again have any advantages over 1333MHz and the best part is their memory controller can't do 2133MHz (it's not even officially supported).

Edit: Just saw your picture, only says which games you are getting from which card you buy. Trying to boost your sales offering free games is completely different than being honest and saying "look WoW is hardly a GPU limited game, a 750 will perform the same as a 970" just like what I just showed.

Also I don't comprehend your off-topic'ness. This thread is about GPUs and not CPUs.

Nope you were talking about a company only trying to jack people off that didn't even have a shit to do with GPU's either.

Nvidia already hit this wall with the GTX 970 stunt they pulled. What happened? Sure send us back your GTX 970 for a full refund and upgrade to our GTX 980 that doesn't have this problem.

Oh that doesn't sound anything like AMD's rebranding of GPUs. Hey, you have a last generation gpu (ex: HD 7970), you should upgrade to a "current" generation card (ex: R9 280x). And I can assure you, a lot of people 'upgraded' from the HD to the EXACT same R9 card thinking they were getting an upgrade. 

But of course, that's just AMD trying to offer their customers a service....right? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

34oshn4-1.jpg

Nvidia has LIVE Chat , AMD doesn't End of discussion. not saying AMD is bad, just pointed out the flaw in your statement , unless i'm also wrong and AMD does have a live chat , you don't need people on twitter to reply to you to think they are godsend, they are not , everyone out there is waiting to get to your wallet at the end of the day

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm more interested on how VRAM will stack. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I'm just a random guy. I don't think any company gives two shits about me.

But I don't think I need to explain why I call Nvidia a "selfish bitch of a company"

I think you do. There's literally nothing Nvidia has done to become some incarnation of Satan that some people, who also happen to just love AMD, make them out to be.
34oshn4-1.jpg

They do that because they have to. Nvidia doesn't need to do any of that because they have such a gigantic marketshare.

Plus, if I have any issues with my GPU's (I currently own a Sapphire 280x and an EVGA 980) I go to the card manufacturer, not the OEM for the chip.

And what do you think AMD wants? If they just didn't want your money, they wouldn't bother talking to people via social media.

If some random MS support rep knew about it it's probably been news for some time now

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

wow for a moment i thought i stepped into a 970 thread.

Originally, Tom's hardware posted an article claiming to have an inside source at Microsoft saying that Nvidia and AMD Multi-GPU Configurations would be possible. 

EDIT: The more exciting part of this news for me is it in a way confirms the split frame rendering system that will allow us to use older and unmatched cards together and will also give us (Theoretically) perfect scaling.

I recently was helping a friend out who's keyboard's drivers didn't work and was talking to a Microsoft rep who told me this:

Any news about Vram stacking on DX12?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

@WhiteSkyMage I think this (although a little sketchy) makes that seem a lot more possible as sfr in Mantle has vram stacking.

Even if Nvidia Locks this down, as long as we are able to use our cpu integrated graphics and older/less powerful/more powerful nvidia gpus, i'll be fine with it.