Xeon e3 1231v3 overclock?

Hi guys

Just a quick question for a friend who's thinking about buying an e3 1231v3, is it possible to overclock them at all?

Thanks!

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

No, maybe by base clock though.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You might bet BCLK options depending on the board but I wouldn't count on it.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Xeon OC is done through Baseclock or BCLK. It does mess with some other things and isn't perfect. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

don't overclock a xeon

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

on the motherboard you may be able to set it to always run at the boost clock setting

on the motherboard you may be able to set it to always run at the boost clock setting

this...and if you know a little bit how to mess with your settings and you have a decent board you can get that chip to run at a 103mhz strap...103x38= 3914mhz

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Some boards will allow you to run at the single/dual core 3.8GHz turbo on all cores, though mine isn't one of them. But that's only 200 MHz above the regular all cores turbo of 3.6 GHz, which is only about a 5.5% difference.

But if you want to overclock you need to go either i7-4790k or i5-4690k.