Newbie to keyboards, unlimited budget what should I get?

ShadyHost

I don't care how much it costs I am looking for something really premium. I used a BlackWidow Ultimate and the keys felt nice. I know a lot of people on this forum are ducky fans so I am also considering those. 

Backlight is a must because my room gets quite dark even during the day. I certainly don't have issues typing without looking but I prefer the look of backlit keyboards. 

The switches don't matter to me but I am looking for an extremely premium experience. I would prefer if the keyboard was able to be purchased through amazon since I have prime and I get free 2 day shipping. 

yeah ducky is the most premium backlit youll get as far as i know, i went with the logitech G710+ and found it to be premium enough for my liking :)

Unlimited budget eh? How about happy hacking? http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/hhkbhg/

Seriously though, I would recommend the corsair k70.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Unlimited budget eh? How about happy hacking? http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/hhkbhg/

Seriously though, I would recommend the corsair k70.

When I said unlimited budget, obviously I wasn't going to spend $5k on a keyboard.

That said, I don't mind dropping $150+ on something I use for several hours a day every day. 

Sounds to me like the Ducky Shine 3 will be amazing. I remember that Slick/Linus did a video at ......Computex? about the new one and it seemed like it had some cool things going for it. The keyboard is the last thing to complete my setup and I want to do it right. 

Try to get the aluminium version of the shine 3. It is limited to 999 ones I think.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

You may also want to look at the K95, that's the most beautiful keyboard in my opinion.

You may also want to look at the K95, that's the most beautiful keyboard in my opinion.

I really like the backlighting on the k95 along with the volume control option. I have astros so the volume thing would be useless but other than that it is cool. I will probably decide sometime this week maybe there will some kind of sale/opportunity to get a good keyboard. My local TigerDirect sells some nice keyboard I might take a trip over there this weekend and see what they have, 

I don't care how much it costs I am looking for something really premium. I used a BlackWidow Ultimate and the keys felt nice. I know a lot of people on this forum are ducky fans so I am also considering those. 

Backlight is a must because my room gets quite dark even during the day. I certainly don't have issues typing without looking but I prefer the look of backlit keyboards. 

The switches don't matter to me but I am looking for an extremely premium experience. I would prefer if the keyboard was able to be purchased through amazon since I have prime and I get free 2 day shipping. 

Ducky keyboards are fantastic although depending on where you are from, they can be hard to find.  I'm not sure amazon caries them.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

Ducky keyboards are fantastic although depending on where you are from, they can be hard to find.  I'm not sure amazon caries them.

amazon has 1 left in stock and I am kinda tempted to jump on it. I think I will check out the shine 3 when it comes out and then make my choice. I don't want to drop that much on a keyboard and then it not be what I was expecting. 

the Blackwidow Ultimate is still on my radar since I have seen it in person and it is nice to type on.

If filco did backlighting then that would be awesome, bt they don't. Go ducky.

Hmm unlimited budget and you want a completely backlight board i mthink one of the few options for super high end is the LZGH which starts at $340 for the kit.

The K70 and K95 are fantastic looking, and built keyboards. I'm fairly sure neither of them come with Blue key switches, like you're used to. Maybe someone can correct me.

Like others mentioned, Ducky has their Shine III coming to the US in August. For a premium purchase, you may want to look at the Year of the Snake edition; which features an aluminum chassis. Shiny.

If you really don't care about budget, you can take a look at Topre keyboards. Specifically, the Happy Hacking Keyboard. http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b

Personally, I have never tried topre but apparently they feel amazing (amazing enough to have the ridiculous price tags whoch happen to fit your budget) so you may want to look into those. But I would recommend trying to get that fancy, limited to 999, aluminum Ducky Shine 3s.

P.S. I feel like someone needs to say this eventually and doesn't really add anything to the discussion, so here it goes......... buy all the keyboards.

Current Keyboards: Ergodox w/ clears, Poker 2 w/ clears, Ducky G2 Pro w/ Blues

Personally, I have never tried topre but apparently they feel amazing (amazing enough to have the ridiculous price tags whoch happen to fit your budget) so you may want to look into those. But I would recommend trying to get that fancy, limited to 999, aluminum Ducky Shine 3s.

Topre Realforce boards are not just about the switch its about the package. Though, the switch is quite nice alone I think the Type Heaven will cheapen the general experience of topre.

Topre Realforce boards are not just about the switch its about the package. Though, the switch is quite nice alone I think the Type Heaven will cheapen the general experience of topre.

Yep, Heaven will have regular ABS and laser etched symbols, I had considered it before getting the 103UB-55G since I want the complete Topre experience.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Yep, Heaven will have regular ABS and laser etched symbols, I had considered it before getting the 103UB-55G since I want the complete Topre experience.

"the complete Topre experience" sounds like something that could tour the country.

I would go for the Ducky shine 2 if you can't wait for the shine 3

If you like the feels of a naturly brown switch without any addons, then get a duky or nighthawk x8, but if you want a more silent keyboard then logitech g710+ is great for the price :)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

If you like the feels of a naturly brown switch without any addons, then get a duky or nighthawk x8, but if you want a more silent keyboard then logitech g710+ is great for the price :)

I wouldnt touch that nighthawk with a 10ft pole its OEM is iOne which is just down right horrible build quality.

I would wait for the Ducky Shine 3 or get the Logitech G710+ since its a great keyboard that has a bright white backlight and the software is easy to use.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would wait for the Ducky Shine 3 or get the Logitech G710+ since its a great keyboard that has a bright white backlight and the software is easy to use.

With a budget of 150USD, I'd wait for Shine III......it's being launched here in Asia in just over a week's time. Launch version is a Blue LED version with different switch type to choose from.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

YOFTS Ducky. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife