Need help on build

TRTJoshua

At first I wanted a budget gaming pc seen as I was 14 when I bought the machine and now it's a year later my build:

i3 2100

CM storm enforcer

500gb HDD

550 ti

550 PSU

I can't decide what to do its not running all that slow but only can play far cry on medium I want to stream and record for YouTube whilst still getting decent frames do I upgrade the processor or the graphics or do I go all out and get a AMD FX8350 motherboard and like a 7850 or do I wait until d

everything drops in price as I am currently like 15 sixteen next week and I am so unsure where to invest my money

At first I wanted a budget gaming pc seen as I was 14 when I bought the machine and now it's a year later my build:

i3 2100

CM storm enforcer

500gb HDD

550 ti

550 PSU

I can't decide what to do its not running all that slow but only can play far cry on medium I want to stream and record for YouTube whilst still getting decent frames do I upgrade the processor or the graphics or do I go all out and get a AMD FX8350 motherboard and like a 7850 or do I wait until d

everything drops in price as I am currently like 15 sixteen next week and I am so unsure where to invest my money

Thread Moved:

Ok, So it is software. So to record your HDD is going to cause it to bottleneck and will restrict the frames being recorded. the i3 i Believe that the 2100 has hyperthreading so you might be OK depending on the game. To play and stream at the same time but it might cause some performance issues.

I would be looking at a better CPU for multitasking, and probably an SSD if you want to record you games. its an 1155 board so you might be able to pick up an i5 2500 or even in i7 2600 if you have the money. for less than a new mobo/cpu.

Graphics card isn't too bad but I would probably pick up like a 660ti just for a bit of an extra kick.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Ok, So it is software. So to record your HDD is going to cause it to bottleneck and will restrict the frames being recorded. the i3 i Believe that the 2100 has hyperthreading so you might be OK depending on the game. To play and stream at the same time but it might cause some performance issues.

I would be looking at a better CPU for multitasking, and probably an SSD if you want to record you games. its an 1155 board so you might be able to pick up an i5 2500 or even in i7 2600 if you have the money. for less than a new mobo/cpu.

Graphics card isn't too bad but I would probably pick up like a 660ti just for a bit of an extra kick.

Thank you I was going to go for an i5 3570k with the EVGA 660 SC card but I think my motherboard sucks a lot and with the cooler I have it wouldn't over clock well I can't really afford ti and what is the 660 AMD alt ?

The 660 eqiv i believe is a 7870. however I would look at a 660ti or a 7950. You don't have to overclock either you could always leave it at stock. Or buy a better cooler.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

the 3570 is 1156 socket so it won't fit on your board anyway. the 660 eqiv i believe is a 7870. however I would look at a 660ti or a 7950. You don't have to overclock either you could always leave it at stock. Or buy a better cooler.

Last time I checked, both his existing processor and the 3570K were 1155 sockets.

Anyway, what's the actual budget for upgrading? Without that, it's useless just chucking parts around. Also what are your existing specifications in terms of motherboard, CPU cooler ect. You'll most likely end up getting a new processor and a new graphics card.

the 3570 is 1156 socket so it won't fit on your board anyway. the 660 eqiv i believe is a 7870. however I would look at a 660ti or a 7950. You don't have to overclock either you could always leave it at stock. Or buy a better cooler.

Last time I checked, both his existing processor and the 3570K were 1155 sockets.

Anyway, what's the actual budget for upgrading? Without that, it's useless just chucking parts around. Also what are your existing specifications in terms of motherboard, CPU cooler ect. You'll most likely end up getting a new processor and a new graphics card.

Thanks for the comment

I cannot find out exact specs on my mobo and cooler right now other than the motherboard is a gigabyte usb3 micro Atx I am unsure of socket believe its h61 and the cooler is some cheap xigmatech cooler with like crappy stock fans provided also the budget will be around £300

Oh sh#znit my bad. I'm thinking first gen.

Spoiler

I assume the board is this then. It's relatively old but it will support something such as the 3570K however you would have issues with it being only PCI 1.

You're quite budget limited, would you be willing to wait longer and save up some more? Otherwise you could get a 3570K and a 7870 and run it on your existing board, you'll just need a BIOS update most likely then when you have the money, upgrade to a Z77 board such as the P8Z77-M series. The 7870 is roughly a 30% performance increase on your existing card but does run a little hotter.

660 is somewhere between the HD 7850 => 7870, I think but I dont know much about recent nVidia graphics, had way to many bad experiences with nVidia so I'm now AMD all the way for graphics.

H61 is the chipset not the socket but that is an 1155 Mb i think so 3570k should be ok

I assume the board is this then. It's relatively old but it will support something such as the 3570K however you would have issues with it being only PCI 1.

You're quite budget limited, would you be willing to wait longer and save up some more? Otherwise you could get a 3570K and a 7870 and run it on your existing board, you'll just need a BIOS update most likely then when you have the money, upgrade to a Z77 board such as the P8Z77-M series. The 7870 is roughly a 30% performance increase on your existing card but does run a little hotter.

Great idea sorry I couldn't reply straight away it's 12:30 over here so I have now been to sleep lol if I get new mother board I would either go e asus p8 or MSI GD65 hear it has great over clocking

i'm sorry but did you say 30%?

the 7870 shits all over the 550ti!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Sorry, meant 60% - the 650Ti has roughly 30% or a 1/3 of the performance. Been a long weekend for me and i'm still recovering so some of my stuff isn't quite making sense :P

Thanks for the comments guys i will take your advice

That's what we're here for :)