Phobya PWM 8X 4Pin Splitter Review

torment lm

Hey Everyone

It's me Jonas ones more to give you guys another review on a product that I've gotten from aquatuning.

Today we will be taking a look at the (Phobya PWM 8X 4Pin Splitter)

The review of this thing is going to be rather short as there's hardly much to say but here goes!

Phobya PWM 8X 4Pin Splitter Review

H6rMU9A.jpg

What is a fan splitter?

The Phobya PWM 8X 4Pin Splitter is ofcouse a fan splitter, but what is a fan splitter really and what would I use it for?

A fan splitter is used to connect multiple fans to a single unit within your computer case, like a central for the fans.

A fan splitter in itself is useless you have to have some fans to connect to it as well, so that is where it comes in handy as well

The controller is controled though your motherboard, you connect one of the following cables to the CPU pwm port.

rD3MBZl.jpg

Closer Look

What a fan splitter can replace is for example a fan controller that is in the 4 and a quater inch bays, this one is much more stealth and much easier to fit in any case, you can place the Phobya PWM 8X 4Pin Splitter anywhere in the case that you want, you can "mod" your PC to mount it, drill some holes and "whula".

Another way you can mount the unit is by using the adhesive behind the unit to make it stick to the case without using any holes or any screws, I have for that matter tried to mount it with the adhesive only and tested it out for 3 weeks and the adhesive hold up very nicely without loosing its stickyness. (I use screws now because I find that more reassuring)

Another great use is that you don't have to connect all your fans to your motherboard which not all motherboards can handle anyway, so it's a cheap but good solution for solving that matter.

UXk9OCL.jpg

The Unit itself.

the unit itself has 7 splitters for fans if you want to controle it with your motherboard, then you just cable one of the included cables from the "PWM" to the pin on your motherboard and after doing that you can controle it with software on your computer.

The unit is all black and have few white accents in text but 98% black and that is just nice, you don't have any color interferering with your build, just as well as the cables included is sleeved in a nice and proper black sleeving, you cannot see the cables inside the sleeve AT ALL that is very nice and gives a good feeling of quality.

Conclusion
I have seen a lot of different ways to use these kind of units thoughout my time in the computer industry from manufacturer implementing smaller ones in their cases and people adding them themselves, but this time I am looking at the "add themselves" unit and I most say it's a nice and cheap addition to a clean and good looking PC 

Good options of mounting whether you want to use screws or use the adhesive on the back of the unit.

My only complaint is that the units pins is vertical and not horizontal

So

Pros
-Small and easy to fit

-All black

-Can contol 7 fans with PWM
-Nice sleeved cables

Cons

-Pins are vertical not horizontal

GALLERY
(and until next time see you!)

C6YaE8o.jpg

DTJebsi.jpg

jLD41Tt.jpg

Jwrw5Yg.jpg

NdTk3AQ.jpg

KdMx4Gn.jpg

can it control each individual fan, or do they all only work as one 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

can it control each individual fan, or do they all only work as one 

Sorry for the later answer, No it will controle all the fans as 1, as far as my experience have been, I've only been able to use 1 setting for the entire controller.

• 9 months later...

what software do you use to control it

I7 5820k - ASUS X99 Deluxe - 32GB Hyperx - R9 380 4Gb - 120gb Hyperx SSD - 3 1Tb WD Blue's - Fractal Design S24 Cooler