Guide: How to Install Window's the Right Way!

I don't think you realised that ASUS organised the drivers HORRIBLY.

When you click on each of the sub headings and drivers are listed below, you get a mix of different drivers as well as outdated drivers which ASUS for some reason decided to include for the lulz

eg. you didn't make mention of "Intel® Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204" I assume because you thought it was an outdated version of Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility . Both are under the Chipset subheading,

I have organised all of the drivers, with ALL of the downloads listed in there (apart from BIOS files), and excluding the outdated drivers, if it helps you give me a clear order in which to download the drivers.

I don't suppose you can attach files here?

I'm going to attach a file from dropbox with all drivers I will be installing on it. It will include drivers for my processor, optical drive and hard drive. It's clean dw ;

In your guide, you suggested the order:

1/2. Chipset (this includes Intel Engine Management or things of that nature)

3. SATA

4. Audio

5. LAN

6. Video/VGA (I always install integrated drivers first then install dedicated video, sometimes you can completely pass on the integrated driver {like with my build} because the way CCC installs)

7. USB

8. Bluetooth/Hotfix/Wireless

9. Utilities

^I changed the names to suit the naming scheme Asus used on the 'driver URL' I linked earlier.

Where would the intel drivers fit in? Those are the drivers for my i7 processor: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+i7+Desktop+Processor - add the filter so that only the drivers show up.

Also, please can you check out the drivers under the subheadings at the 'driver URL' to make sure that if I do indeed follow the above order, that nothing conflicts.

'Driver URL' - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/

Dropbox Link to all of the drivers I have organised together: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100115088/Drivers.rar

If the unzipped folder (in this case, for chipset driver) has two exe's: AsusSetup and SetupChipset, which exe should I execute? I will execute AsusSetup for now. If I have chosen the wrong option, I'll just re-install windows later. lol

What exactly are you asking now?  Please send 1 reply with all your questions so I can get it straight.  Thanks.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

wow, I've installed windows countless times yet I learned a ton. Great topic, we'll written and set up.

What exactly are you asking now?  Please send 1 reply with all your questions so I can get it straight.  Thanks.

haha Yeah sorry about that, I just kept asking more and more Qs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following two replies are linked. I noticed you left out some drivers from Asus' driver list.

I don't think you realised that ASUS organised the drivers HORRIBLY.

When you click on each of the sub headings and drivers are listed below, you get a mix of different drivers as well as outdated drivers which ASUS for some reason decided to include for the lulz

eg. you didn't make mention of "Intel® Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204" I assume because you thought it was an outdated version of Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility . Both are under the Chipset subheading,

With newer motherboards they don't have a Northbridge and a Southbridge!

In your situation this is my install order:

1.  Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

2. Intel® Graphics Accelerator Driver V10.18.14.4206 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32&64bit.(WHQL)

3. Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win8 32bit & Win8.1 32bit---(WHQL)

4. Intel Smart Connect Technology Software V5.0.10.2936 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit

5. Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V2.0.8.1 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

6. Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.23.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

7. Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7344 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

8. Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Driver V19.1.51.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

9. Wi-Fi Driver V6.34.223.5 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

After that, install any other hardware drivers you have (keyboard, mice, monitors, usb devices, headsets, ect.) the install your utilities that you decided to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Ignore the link to the other thread. I'd rather keep the two separate-ish*

The dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxus...088/Drivers.rar

Was just my attempt to organise all the drivers I'll be installing. The main reason I posted it was because I was concerned at which point I'd have to install the drivers from Intel. But going from what you said in the other thread, I won't need to install any of intels' drivers because everything I need is already included here. Is that correct?

If the unzipped folder (in this case, for chipset driver) has two exe's: AsusSetup and SetupChipset, which exe should I execute? I will execute AsusSetup for now. If I have chosen the wrong option, I'll just re-install windows later. lol

This is me asking how to install Asus' drivers. When I unzip the folders, I am left with two exe's. One is AsusSetup.exe . And (for the chipset driver) the other is SetupChipset. Which should I install?

I think there being two exe's might just be unique to the chipset drivers. But I would like to know in case this issue arises again  for another driver.

In your guide, you suggested the order:

1/2. Chipset (this includes Intel Engine Management or things of that nature)

3. SATA

4. Audio

5. LAN

6. Video/VGA (I always install integrated drivers first then install dedicated video, sometimes you can completely pass on the integrated driver {like with my build} because the way CCC installs)

7. USB

8. Bluetooth/Hotfix/Wireless

9. Utilities

^I changed the names to suit the naming scheme Asus used on the 'driver URL' I linked earlier.

To keep it simple, my Q here is: Is this order acceptable?

Edited by Alir

haha Yeah sorry about that, I just kept asking more and more Qs.

The following two replies are linked. I noticed you left out some drivers from Asus' driver list.

*Ignore the link to the other thread. I'd rather keep the two separate-ish*

The dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxus...088/Drivers.rar

Was just my attempt to organise all the drivers I'll be installing. The main reason I posted it was because I was concerned at which point I'd have to install the drivers from Intel. But going from what you said in the other thread, I won't need to install any of intels' drivers because everything I need is already included here. Is that correct?

This is me asking how to install Asus' drivers. When I unzip the folders, I am left with two exe's. One is AsusSetup.exe . And (for the chipset driver) the other is SetupChipset. Which should I install?

I think there being two exe's might just be unique to the chipset drivers. But I would like to know in case this issue arises again  for another driver.

To keep it simple, my Q here is: Is this order acceptable?

First you should get drivers ONLY from the name on the outside of the box.  If you have a ASUS motherboard, EVERY SINGLE driver for that motherboard will come from ASUS.  If there is a chipset on that board (Realtek, Intel, Asmedia, Jmicron, AMD, Nvidia, or any other slew of companies, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO TO ASUS TO GET THE DRIVER FOR THAT MOTHERBOARD.  If you get a video card from Gigabyte, even if it has a Nvidia chip in it, go get the driver from Gigabyte.

Installing ASUS's drivers is a little bit difficult, after you unzip the folder you want to run the "AsusSetup.exe" if its available not just "any ol' .exe file"

As far as leaving out drivers, Im 95% sure that my list included ALL the necessary drivers.  I just didn't include the out of date ones.

Did I miss any other questions?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

I believe Linus already made a tutorial of it.

(unrelated Q to previous Qs)You said to load the SATA driver during Windows' installation. Do you need to install that driver after Windows has been installed, or has it already been installed?

I clicked the AsusSetup.exe for one of my drivers, a Wifi Driver. It said it was installing but there wasn't any sort of indication that it installed successfully. There were no pop ups. The pop ups that said something along the lines of "installing, please wait", just closed by themselves. Can I safely assume the driver has installed correctly?

Alright. I have now installed all of my motherboard drivers. Mostly successfully, unless one of the previous comments I have written is a cause for concern.

Should I install my Hard drive and optical software/drivers NOW or should I install AFTER I have connected to the internet and installed the Windows updates?

My HDD software is in the dropbox link. As for the software for my optical drive, they're on a cd that was provided with my optical drive. The software runs blu ray discs. I'll install them at the end since they are technically software. What about my hard drive software? Should I also install them at the end with the rest of my software? The HDD software are "Acronis True Image WD Edition Software" and "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows"

Edited by Alir

First you should get drivers ONLY from the name on the outside of the box.  If you have a ASUS motherboard, EVERY SINGLE driver for that motherboard will come from ASUS.  If there is a chipset on that board (Realtek, Intel, Asmedia, Jmicron, AMD, Nvidia, or any other slew of companies, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO TO ASUS TO GET THE DRIVER FOR THAT MOTHERBOARD.  If you get a video card from Gigabyte, even if it has a Nvidia chip in it, go get the driver from Gigabyte.

Installing ASUS's drivers is a little bit difficult, after you unzip the folder you want to run the "AsusSetup.exe" if its available not just "any ol' .exe file"

As far as leaving out drivers, Im 95% sure that my list included ALL the necessary drivers.  I just didn't include the out of date ones.

Did I miss any other questions?

You answered all of those Qs nicely except the last one which I wasn't too bothered about.

The last one being the order in which to install the drivers, because I think my order was correct.

Also, worth noting there was one driver I came across which didn't have an AsusSetup.exe. It did have another Setup.exe, which I ran. I think the driver installed correctly though.

Alright. I have now installed all of my motherboard drivers. Mostly successfully, unless one of the previous comments I have written is a cause for concern.

Should I install my Hard drive and optical software/drivers NOW or should I install AFTER I have connected to the internet and installed the Windows updates?

My HDD software is in the dropbox link. As for the software for my optical drive, they're on a cd that was provided with my optical drive. The software runs blu ray discs. I'll install them at the end since they are technically software. What about my hard drive software? Should I also install them at the end with the rest of my software? The HDD software are "Acronis True Image WD Edition Software" and "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows"

As my guide states, install ALL drivers and utilities BEFORE connecting to the internet.

As far as the order in which to install the drivers, just follow the guide.

Spoiler

As my guide states, install ALL drivers and utilities BEFORE connecting to the internet.

As far as the order in which to install the drivers, just follow the guide.

But the guide only mentions the drivers and utilities for your motherboard - not your software for your optical drive/HDD/etc - most people don't get software with their optical drives and even then most people don't get optical drives. lol

As for the part I put in bold is that exclusive of software? Because I am mostly talking about software here that is designed to play blu ray discs - so it's not really a driver or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

How would I go about updating to Windows 10?

Should I just re-install my OS and Windows 8.1 drivers, windows update, and THEN update to Windows 10?

Would Windows 10 not require new drivers?

Or I could just re-install Windows 8.1, connect to internet, install Windows 10, and then install drivers for Windows 10. But by that point, I would already be connected to the internet and the Windows 10 updates could conflict with Windows 10 drivers.

How would I go about updating to Windows 10?

Should I just re-install my OS and Windows 8.1 drivers, windows update, and THEN update to Windows 10?

Would Windows 10 not require new drivers?

Or I could just re-install Windows 8.1, connect to internet, install Windows 10, and then install drivers for Windows 10. But by that point, I would already be connected to the internet and the Windows 10 updates could conflict with Windows 10 drivers.

If you're going to update, then just let Windows do its best then clean up after it.

But, I am going to be doing a clean install myself.  I wouldn't do it any other way.

Spoiler

If you're going to update, then just let Windows do its best then clean up after it.

What do you mean?

It just occurred to me.

Couldn't I update to W10, then reset to factory settings?

Wouldn't that remove all drivers and everything to their defaults?

What do you mean?

It just occurred to me.

Couldn't I update to W10, then reset to factory settings?

Wouldn't that remove all drivers and everything to their defaults?

So if you choose to just do the "Update" and not a clean install, do the update then let Windows do all it needs to do.  Once its done, go ahead and clean up what it has left behind.  Install what drivers are missing and simply hope for the best.

Spoiler

So if you choose to just do the "Update" and not a clean install, do the update then let Windows do all it needs to do.  Once its done, go ahead and clean up what it has left behind.  Install what drivers are missing and simply hope for the best.

So how exactly should I do it?

----

First of all, when you say "update", are you referring to when you insert and run a Windows installation media and it gives you the option to update or do a clean install?

If so, wouldn't it be better to do a clean install and install drivers as you usually would?

I am not aware of the process behind how you update to Windows 10 yet as I have not looked it up yet.

----

1) Install Windows 8.1 + Drivers and then update to Windows 10. { Then go through drivers and re-install what has been deleted? - Is that what you mean by 'clean up'} From what I understand, peoples' wireless drivers are being deleted when they update. Wouldn't this be ruining the traditional way in which you install drivers?

The other option is:

2) Install Windows 8.1, connect to internet, do a clean install of Windows 10, install all drivers and software normally.

But you instead are advocating installing the first way? Wouldn't this cause issues, conflicts, etc. as you have previously mentioned?

So how exactly should I do it?

----

First of all, when you say "update", are you referring to when you insert and run a Windows installation media and it gives you the option to update or do a clean install?

If so, wouldn't it be better to do a clean install and install drivers as you usually would?

I am not aware of the process behind how you update to Windows 10 yet as I have not looked it up yet.

----

1) Install Windows 8.1 + Drivers and then update to Windows 10. { Then go through drivers and re-install what has been deleted? - Is that what you mean by 'clean up'} From what I understand, peoples' wireless drivers are being deleted when they update. Wouldn't this be ruining the traditional way in which you install drivers?

The other option is:

2) Install Windows 8.1, connect to internet, do a clean install of Windows 10, install all drivers and software normally.

But you instead are advocating installing the first way? Wouldn't this cause issues, conflicts, etc. as you have previously mentioned?

When I say "Update" yes I mean either the update method via a clean install or the method where Windows is going to just "do it" via Windows Update.

Spoiler

I've always found that windows updates slow down my pc over time....

I've always found that windows updates slow down my pc over time....

Well, lets actually tackle that issue.  If your computer is moving, then you're doing it wrong.  Your computer should not be slow, fast, or any variation in-between.  It should be STATIONARY during operation.

Now, since I'm going to assume you're talking about the performance of your machine, your machine is NOT going to calculate operations any slower or faster than it did when it came off the assembly line.  What changes is what you ask your computer to do.  When Microsoft finds something to improve, they will release a update for it.  This will add additional features to the OS, even if they are small, causing your computer to process more data.

With that said, the performance hit that you see from Windows Updates should NOT be noticeable in any magnitude.  If you're experiencing ANY issues with the performance of your machine, due to a update, then you have another problem on your hands.  Uninstall the update, then reinstall the update and see if it helps.

Although, most people probably experience performance issues due to just about anything other than updates.  Other programs usually affect the performance of your machine more than anything.

Spoiler

Well, lets actually tackle that issue.  If your computer is moving, then you're doing it wrong.  Your computer should not be slow, fast, or any variation in-between.  It should be STATIONARY during operation.

Now, since I'm going to assume you're talking about the performance of your machine, your machine is NOT going to calculate operations any slower or faster than it did when it came off the assembly line.  What changes is what you ask your computer to do.  When Microsoft finds something to improve, they will release a update for it.  This will add additional features to the OS, even if they are small, causing your computer to process more data.

With that said, the performance hit that you see from Windows Updates should NOT be noticeable in any magnitude.  If you're experiencing ANY issues with the performance of your machine, due to a update, then you have another problem on your hands.  Uninstall the update, then reinstall the update and see if it helps.

Although, most people probably experience performance issues due to just about anything other than updates.  Other programs usually affect the performance of your machine more than anything.

It probably isn't noticeable on newer computers, but on old (really old) computers it definitely is noticeable. I've never understood how updates are improving the performance. Sure, they can fix security holes and patch up software problems, but they always slow my pc down. The already limited space I have on my C drive would get even smaller.

And I have a limited number of applications on my pc (with zero running in the background unless I want to). It's not their fault.  

I can't afford the newest i5 cpu and the 970 gpu, which can handle the updates without slowing down.

So I'm going to disable the updates every time. I don't even update my browser, since the newer versions end up taking most of my ram and lag.

It probably isn't noticeable on newer computers, but on old (really old) computers it definitely is noticeable. I've never understood how updates are improving the performance. Sure, they can fix security holes and patch up software problems, but they always slow my pc down. The already limited space I have on my C drive would get even smaller.

And I have a limited number of applications on my pc (with zero running in the background unless I want to). It's not their fault.  

I can't afford the newest i5 cpu and the 970 gpu, which can handle the updates without slowing down.

So I'm going to disable the updates every time. I don't even update my browser, since the newer versions end up taking most of my ram and lag.

If your computer meets the minimum requirements of the OS, and has performance issues, I can guarantee it is NOT due to Windows Updates.  And as far as taking up storage space on your drive, you should "Clean up System Files" with the "Disk Cleanup" utility.  It will then delete the setup files (which is the part of Windows Updates that will use up any amount of storage space at all).

I can not recommend disabling updates as it will create GLARING security holes and leave you out of feature updates.  Actually, I would venture to say that by turning updates off, and introducing these security risk, you will see a even bigger performance drop due to malware attacks than by the updates themselves.

This doesn't include visiting websites that simply don't work unless you have the latest version of IE, programs (like games) that wont run unless you have the latest updates for .net.

Disabling updates have no benefits other than in businesses where it will minimize down time of critical systems.  You wouldn't want every computer in your office to promptly restart at 2pm, right in the middle of the work day, just because there is a new update.  Other than that, updates are ABSOLUTLY CRITICAL for home users.

Spoiler

"6. Video (I always install integrated drivers first then install dedicated video, sometimes you can completely pass on the integrated driver {like with my build} because the way CCC installs)"

Do you need to install your integrated graphics chips' driver?

"6. Video (I always install integrated drivers first then install dedicated video, sometimes you can completely pass on the integrated driver {like with my build} because the way CCC installs)"

Do you need to install your integrated graphics chips' driver?

If you're unsure, you should probably go ahead and install it, just to be safe.

Spoiler

If you're unsure, you should probably go ahead and install it, just to be safe.

Wouldn't it cause conflicts though?

I mean installing integrated and dedicated side by side.

What is the point in having the integrated driver if you already have the dedicated driver?