Guide: How to Install Window's the Right Way!

I recommend that you recommend that after all is updated, and the favorite third party utilities are installed, to clone the drive.  Cloning is easy and assures that you never have to install windows from scratch again.

Windows has a built in system imagining service, but I do not like it.

You can reference Clonezilla as a 100% free, no adware - nothing extra, cloning solution:  http://clonezilla.org/

You don't have to add a tutorial for this, but mentioning the benefits of cloning a drive might interest people enough to learn on their own.

Good tutorial BTW.

All the things you mention in the OS installing process I redo in 10 minutes from the image.... plus I have my utility programs, and League Of Legends in the image as well.

To create a clone, do you need a blank hard drive? Or can you create an image on a hard drive which already has files on? --Without losing your files that is.

Point being, my desktop has 2 drives: 1 250gb SSD and 1 1TB HDD. I use the HDD to save files on and games. The SSD is used for my OS.

Besides those two drives, I have 1 1TB HDD which I use to backup my HDD.

There is around 400gb spare space on my external HDD. How can I use it to clone my SSD? Would I have to partition it and hence use up a whole partition?

I say this because an ISO is just a single file - though from what I understand, ISOs are for CDs and not Drives.

... is what I am saying making sense?

I have used this method, the end result is an ISO, but that's not what's important. What's important is the archive containing the base system (install.wim on a regular ISO) is encrypted.

Okay, so what is the problem here?  It is a OFFICIAL ISO FROM Microsoft, without anyone touching it before you.  This brings up the question, why would you want anything else?

I recommend that you recommend that after all is updated, and the favorite third party utilities are installed, to clone the drive.  Cloning is easy and assures that you never have to install windows from scratch again.

Windows has a built in system imagining service, but I do not like it.

You can reference Clonezilla as a 100% free, no adware - nothing extra, cloning solution:  http://clonezilla.org/

You don't have to add a tutorial for this, but mentioning the benefits of cloning a drive might interest people enough to learn on their own.

Good tutorial BTW.

All the things you mention in the OS installing process I redo in 10 minutes from the image.... plus I have my utility programs, and League Of Legends in the image as well.

I don't suggest doing a clone because you will cause outdated software and drivers to be saved as your official "go to".  Usually driver issues come from "updating" them instead of "clean installing" them.  If you were in a business environment where having updated drivers and software isn't as important as quickly being able to restore a computer, then yes this is a great idea.  Otherwise, I just recommend doing a general backup and then restore the data when you're done with your next install of Windows.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Otherwise, I just recommend doing a general backup and then restore the data when you're done with your next install of Windows.

What kind of backup do you mean? Restore point?

To create a clone, do you need a blank hard drive? Or can you create an image on a hard drive which already has files on? --Without losing your files that is.

Point being, my desktop has 2 drives: 1 250gb SSD and 1 1TB HDD. I use the HDD to save files on and games. The SSD is used for my OS.

Besides those two drives, I have 1 1TB HDD which I use to backup my HDD.

There is around 400gb spare space on my external HDD. How can I use it to clone my SSD? Would I have to partition it and hence use up a whole partition?

No.  You just need enough space to store the image.  My Windows(with around 10 extra programs and League of legends) is 24GB.  I just put it on one of my HDDs.  When I cloned my drive I had just installed and updated Windows.  I installed drivers for my hardware.  I put the 3rd party utility programs I want on and a game that will be on my system for a long time.  so most of my SSD was blank.  The more you have on the SSD, the bigger the image will be. 

Your SSD is 250GB, so you won't need more than that on your HDD.  It might take a lot longer than my 10 minutes though as you might have a lot of stuff on the SSD.

--

I don't suggest doing a clone because you will cause outdated software and drivers to be saved as your official "go to".  Usually driver issues come from "updating" them instead of "clean installing" them.  If you were in a business environment where having updated drivers and software isn't as important as quickly being able to restore a computer, then yes this is a great idea.  Otherwise, I just recommend doing a general backup and then restore the data when you're done with your next install of Windows.

That is a fair argument.

The reason it is beneficial, is that initial install/update time.  You estimated 3-5 hours.  I do it in 10 minutes.  Regardless of what needs to be done next (drivers), that could be a very huge savings in time if anyone needed to reinstall their current OS.

I referred to Clonezilla because it has a stand-alone GUI.  You don't need Windows to run Clonezilla.  It boots into it's own interface upon restart/boot.

if youre a advanced user, and are willing to deal with the hassle and potential troubleshooting of updating software, then clones aren't a bad option. But if youre the average user (who this guide is geared towards) there is no reason to clone anything. Just doing simple backups is easier and generally more reliable

That is a fair argument.

The reason it is beneficial, is that initial install/update time.  You estimated 3-5 hours.  I do it in 10 minutes.  Regardless of what needs to be done next (drivers), that could be a very huge savings in time if anyone needed to reinstall their current OS.

I referred to Clonezilla because it has a stand-alone GUI.  You don't need Windows to run Clonezilla.  It boots into it's own interface upon restart/boot.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Despite that this is a good guide for many, from what I've read it only applies to people who have no basic knowledge about what to do. There are also some things that I will have to disagree with. 

2. Time, 3-5 hours is about typical.

My OS installs in less than a minute. Yes, I do have two SSDs in RAID 0, but still. Saying that 3-5h is the typical installation time (with drivers) is not really accurate, unless you are installing XP on a 10-year old 5400 RPM HDD and searching for obsolete drivers...

NOTE: Do not, I repeat DO NOT, download a copy of Windows from a public torrent or other NON-MICROSOFT source.  Reason for this is because you don’t know WHAT people have done to the ISO, what software they might have slipstreamed in the install, if it is a OEM copy or Retail, and if the ISO isn’t corrupt in some way.  You might be able to get the ISO on the drive, and get drive formatted then realize that the download had a sector or two that was janky because Bob’s HDD from China had a few dead sectors on it.

Although that is mostly true, if you stick to some basic guidelines, like downloading the torrent with most seeders, not deciding on a preactivated copy and checking the files in the ISO you will be good to go. I personally have never installed Windows any other way (including the torrented Windows 10 Dev Preview) and have never ever experienced any problems with this. 

Lastly, when installing Windows 8 or higher, it is recommended to disconnect all other drives but the primary one on which the OS is going to be installed. Why? Because sometimes Windows gets confused and dumps some of the files for the Windows Boot Manager on an other drive and when you got to unplug it after everything is installed, guess what - your Windows is broken and you have a PC that cannot boot at all...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Im sorry sir, but you are wrong.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media This is the place to go for a Windows 8.1 install media.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/download-windows-7-sp1-link-have-product-key/cde8f6e3-6034-4d4c-a97d-53cece849f2c  This is the official places to go for the Windows 7 ISO's, which if you were aware, was hosted by digitalmedia NOT Microsoft.

You kind of need to have purchased the Windows or not lost your CD key to be able to download any of these though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Despite that this is a good guide for many, from what I've read it only applies to people who have no basic knowledge about what to do. There are also some things that I will have to disagree with. 

My OS installs in less than a minute. Yes, I do have two SSDs in RAID 0, but still. Saying that 3-5h is the typical installation time (with drivers) is not really accurate, unless you are installing XP on a 10-year old 5400 RPM HDD and searching for obsolete drivers...

Although that is mostly true, if you stick to some basic guidelines, like downloading the torrent with most seeders, not deciding on a preactivated copy and checking the files in the ISO you will be good to go. I personally have never installed Windows any other way (including the torrented Windows 10 Dev Preview) and have never ever experienced any problems with this. 

Lastly, when installing Windows 8 or higher, it is recommended to disconnect all other drives but the primary one on which the OS is going to be installed. Why? Because sometimes Windows gets confused and dumps some of the files for the Windows Boot Manager on an other drive and when you got to unplug it after everything is installed, guess what - your Windows is broken and you have a PC that cannot boot at all.

Even with the fastest SSD on the market today in RAID 0 (4 stripes) you're not going to be able to reboot that many times.  It takes about 4-5 hours for a first timer.

Not only that, you're talking about downloading torrents, something that is a direct no no.  You NEVER want to use a OS that someone else has tampered with.

And as far as Windows 8 dumping WBM files on another drive, thats only if you DONT follow Microsofts method, which is how this is outlined.

Spoiler

Even with the fastest SSD on the market today in RAID 0 (4 stripes) you're not going to be able to reboot that many times.  It takes about 4-5 hours for a first timer.

Not only that, you're talking about downloading torrents, something that is a direct no no.  You NEVER want to use a OS that someone else has tampered with.

Hey, that is what your guide is for.  Give yourself some credit.  ;)  A "first timer" should be able to follow instruction and do everything your guide teaches in well under two hours, even on a 7200RPM drive.  I do Win7 64 in about 4 minutes (SSD), the updates and drivers (...and stuff) take 20-30 minutes.

You kind of need to have purchased the Windows or not lost your CD key to be able to download any of these though.

Of course you need a legit copy.

Spoiler

Hey, that is what your guide is for.  Give yourself some credit.  ;)  A "first timer" should be able to follow instruction and do everything your guide teaches in well under two hours, even on a 7200RPM drive.  I do Win7 64 in about 4 minutes (SSD), the updates and drivers (...and stuff) take 20-30 minutes.

You guys are missing the point.  It IS NOT about the time.  Its the steps.  I promise if you follow these steps, it WILL take more than a few minutes.

Just to download drivers, the Windows ISO, and get your boot media ready is going to take a hour on its own.  Installing Windows, setting up user profile, and general settings takes about 30 minutes, Windows Updates will take another 30 minutes or so, and that doesnt include actually installing your drivers, or 3rd party programs.  Which this guide includes.

Spoiler

You guys are missing the point.  It IS NOT about the time.  Its the steps.  I promise if you follow these steps, it WILL take more than a few minutes.

Just to download drivers, the Windows ISO, and get your boot media ready is going to take a hour on its own.  Installing Windows, setting up user profile, and general settings takes about 30 minutes, Windows Updates will take another 30 minutes or so, and that doesnt include actually installing your drivers, or 3rd party programs.  Which this guide includes.

You miss understand me.  What I was saying is to not deter people from following your guide with that whopping 5 hour ET.  That is unrealistic.  Just say "roughly 3 hours".  So when they do it in 2.5 they feel good.  :)

You miss understand me.  What I was saying is to not deter people from following your guide with that whopping 5 hour ET.  That is unrealistic.  Just say "roughly 3 hours".  So when they do it in 2.5 they feel good.  :)

Actually, the exact opposite.  I don't want someone going into this expecting 3 hours, and find out they actually have a set of drivers that (for whatever reason) want to take 20 minutes to install.  I don't want people rushing this.  That is how it turns sour.

Spoiler

Actually, the exact opposite.  I don't want someone going into this expecting 3 hours, and find out they actually have a set of drivers that (for whatever reason) want to take 20 minutes to install.  I don't want people rushing this.  That is how it turns sour.

ok :)

On installing chipset drivers:

Chipset (Northbridge then Southbridge)

My mobo is Asus Z97 Pro wifi.

Do you mean chipset drivers "Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20" and "Intel® Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204"

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/ Windows 8.1 64 bit - Chipset

On installing chipset drivers:

Chipset (Northbridge then Southbridge)

My mobo is Asus Z97 Pro wifi.

Do you mean chipset drivers "Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20" and "Intel® Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204"

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/ Windows 8.1 64 bit - Chipset

With newer motherboards they don't have a Northbridge and a Southbridge!

In your situation this is my install order:

1.  Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

2. Intel® Graphics Accelerator Driver V10.18.14.4206 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32&64bit.(WHQL)

3. Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win8 32bit & Win8.1 32bit---(WHQL)

4. Intel Smart Connect Technology Software V5.0.10.2936 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit

5. Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V2.0.8.1 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

6. Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.23.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

7. Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7344 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

8. Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Driver V19.1.51.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

9. Wi-Fi Driver V6.34.223.5 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

After that, install any other hardware drivers you have (keyboard, mice, monitors, usb devices, headsets, ect.) the install your utilities that you decided to do.

Spoiler

With newer motherboards they don't have a Northbridge and a Southbridge!

In your situation this is my install order:

1.  Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

2. Intel® Graphics Accelerator Driver V10.18.14.4206 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32&64bit.(WHQL)

3. Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win8 32bit & Win8.1 32bit---(WHQL)

4. Intel Smart Connect Technology Software V5.0.10.2936 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit

5. Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V2.0.8.1 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

6. Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.23.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

7. Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7344 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

8. Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Driver V19.1.51.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

9. Wi-Fi Driver V6.34.223.5 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

After that, install any other hardware drivers you have (keyboard, mice, monitors, usb devices, headsets, ect.) the install your utilities that you decided to do.

I don't think you realised that ASUS organised the drivers HORRIBLY.

When you click on each of the sub headings and drivers are listed below, you get a mix of different drivers as well as outdated drivers which ASUS for some reason decided to include for the lulz

eg. you didn't make mention of "Intel® Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204" I assume because you thought it was an outdated version of Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility . Both are under the Chipset subheading,

I have organised all of the drivers, with ALL of the downloads listed in there (apart from BIOS files), and excluding the outdated drivers, if it helps you give me a clear order in which to download the drivers.

I don't suppose you can attach files here?

I'm going to attach a file from dropbox with all drivers I will be installing on it. It will include drivers for my processor, optical drive and hard drive. It's clean dw ;

In your guide, you suggested the order:

1/2. Chipset (this includes Intel Engine Management or things of that nature)
3. SATA
4. Audio
5. LAN
6. Video/VGA (I always install integrated drivers first then install dedicated video, sometimes you can completely pass on the integrated driver {like with my build} because the way CCC installs)
7. USB
8. Bluetooth/Hotfix/Wireless

9. Utilities

^I changed the names to suit the naming scheme Asus used on the 'driver URL' I linked earlier.

Where would the intel drivers fit in? Those are the drivers for my i7 processor: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+i7+Desktop+Processor - add the filter so that only the drivers show up.

Also, please can you check out the drivers under the subheadings at the 'driver URL' to make sure that if I do indeed follow the above order, that nothing conflicts.

'Driver URL' - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/

If the unzipped folder (in this case, for chipset driver) has two exe's: AsusSetup and SetupChipset, which exe should I execute? I will execute AsusSetup for now. If I have chosen the wrong option, I'll just re-install windows later. lol