What Got You Into Computers?

Derykey

Back when I was a kid(8 years old), I had a really really bad PC( Dunno the specs correctly. But it was something like 32MB of RAM, no expansion cards, Pentium 4 processor etc..) and I had to game in it.  :mellow:  I was so irritated by it that I was motivated to learn more about PC building, build a good one and game on it all day loong!!! But I couldn't do much since my brother was there then and I had no control over such things  :(  :angry:  So I learnt and learnt and waited and waited and built my first PC in 2012(when my brother moved to another place..freedom tastes sweet!) ! That is the build I have ever done I am using it right now... hoping to upgrade soon. Interestingly, when I built the PC in 2012 I didn't have an internet connection at home!!!! I did all my research in my mom's mobile phone which didn't even have a touch screen with just a 2G connection. Also I didn't belong to any forums whatsoever!!! All I could do was google searches........ But still I came up with a decent build(or maybe I think it is decent :P ) and I learnt a loooootttt. Another interesting point is that, though it is gaming that got me into PC building, I never gamed that much in my first build. High school pushed me away from gaming and I lost interest as days went by and now I play only occassionally.

One thing I can never forget is, the amount of satisfaction that I got when the PC worked :rolleyes: . It is that satisfaction that keeps me motivated to keep learning more about (what I would like to call as 'the art of') PC building nowadays. :)

My build log(in progress): http://bit.ly/1CMaebR

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

The fact I needed to upgrade my shit. Also because I like my things fabricated.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

My Dad likes computers to an extent (Apple fanboy), and I guess I just eventually found out about PC gaming through bring a console gamer, and that got me interested in hardware. I only really started to properly learn in June 2014 :)

Buying a ps4, and realizing how crap it was.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

Wanted a cheap computer to game on , watched a few Linus vids, went to a shop to have one built , they screwed up bad , filled my watch list full of Linus videos , ordered a slew of parts, built a system , then another for a friend and so on since then. Over 20+ builds done and I'm enjoying every one of them.

Get the best you can afford.

Toshiba laptop from Best Buy. :/ I think you have an idea of what might the outcome be. Anyways, my dad has a friend that is a techie, and he builds computers for a living. I got intrested in building computers hecause of him and I got where I am today. ^_^

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Linus's unboxing of the gtx 680. It looked cool, so I watched some more videos on it, and the next thing I know, I'm building a pc

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

When i was younger i would dismantle whatever i could get my hands on (VCRs, DVD players, etc.) eventually this progressed to old computers that i would buy at a local charity auction that happened every month. They were usually Pentium 1s or 2s ran Windows 98 and were outdated and slow (this was 2006) eventually i started swapping components around between the systems and making systems that i thought to be dead function again. The rest, as they say, is history

My PC addiction started with getting my first console. I was ~6 and got an xbox (and later a 360). I used to play Halo on them all the time with my moms ex-boyfriend. About 4 and a half years ago my mom met her husband and for my birthday they got my my first laptop. I started watching YouTube about computer games (mostly Minecraft) and talking about computers to my step-dad (at this time only my moms boyfriend). Maybe a year or two ago my step-dad was building his own computer and I wanted to watch/help, so I did. From that point on I slowly merged from a console gamer to PC gamer and was wanting to make my own PC. I now have this PC it is the first PC that I built and I did most of it myself with some help with partpicking from my step-dad.

EDIT: My step-dad, while looking into parts for my PC found LTT and I have been watching them ever since.

It all started when my dad bought a brand new Compaq Presario 5510( I'm assuming it was this model but yeah photo below lol)! He was playing one of the best game back then! Solitaire! lol But yeah ever since, I would play solitaire for countless hours and messed around with it! Until I did something to it and then my uncle had to reformat it every now and then. I was so scared when I messed it up and ever since i've been quite cautious and got myself into computers! haha

So much memories! And those side speakers tho! They don't come like that anymore! haha

compaq5510.jpg

Bought Fallout 3 for pc and couldn't run it at the time, so started research into upgrading. Then I learned about Crysis...

I got into it when my dad first lugged home an old government PC from his office. a 386! Wolfenstein and all the glorious shareware $1 floppies! I was curious enough I was able to mess it up a couple times. 

Eventually the office upgraded to pentiums and we got the 486, and I remember it being better, but it was a giant ass compaq that would shock the crap out of my fingers if i touched right above the power button. eventually got bored with it, because it had no sound card, I didnt wanna buy one, and even the nes let alone the genesis, was better sounding.

A few years later my mom gave me her old pentium 2, when she got a pentium 3. I spent hours on that thing playing starcraft and C&C, it didn't have a sound card, so I had to get one for ~$80. I wrecked that a couple times too, but in the process learned quite a bit. 

Had access to a few more PCs over the years, including a garbage laptop that taught me not to rely on laptops as your only machine since they're so specialized, and decided to build my own PCs from then on out. NCIX had a really great deal on an athalon dual core @2.5,  and 512mb HD3850. It was prebuilt, but there was a no OS option so I got that and figured I'd just open it up, make sure all was to my liking and close it up, and install windows.  

It came, I tore it apart and there was a 256MB card in it! wtf? I contacted support, and the man himself said it was his fault, and that NCIX will absolutely replace the 256 card for the 512. It was a typo and was supposed to be the 256 card not the 512, which is why it was about $60 cheaper than it should have been (80 if they gave me the same brand card). Then there was a few more messages back and forth with people who weren't Linus, and they wanted me to pay the difference, until I made it very clear I wasn't paying anything extra. Lol Linus was basically the only person who made good and didn't try to screw me over in the whole ordeal of getting what was listed on my receipt.  

Since then I've built multiple AMD and intel builds for work and home, and the old dual core / 3850 still has life in it as a media center with an autobot logo carved in the side .

Dad told me if I wanted to go to my tech center for carpentry, I was going to drop out and work for him. So, I decided to go for computer tech!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Austin Evans.

And then I discovered LTT  :wub:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

I started off playing video games and wanting to be able to play more grpahicaly intense games which pushed me into learning out computers through the necessity of know what I should upgrade to with my meagre allowance.

I was playing game at first, but I got into computers.. I mean building etc. thanks to this forum!

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

My mother brought one of the school's microbee's home with her for the weekend.

After that it was all downhill from there...

Curse you montezuma's revenge (the game, not the upset tummy)

I was quite literally born into it, both my parents have programmer-mathematician degrees, so we always had computers, and of course we always had a few games on them. Basically I learnt to use DOS before i was able read or write :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

My dad. He used to build PCs for customers. Also he used to host websites for people. Now, I've started following in his footsteps. :) at the age of 12 I got into PCs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Games !

My first PC setup :-

Pentium 4

256MB ram

40 GB HDD

CRT display

Some of the awesome games I played :-

Elder scrolls 1&2

Doom

Dave

Wolf 3D

Spider man

Age of empire conquerors

Sky ( something ... Track ?? )

Virtue cop

Future cop

It used to run em like charm

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

I got into computer designing and building after a friend started. That's about it.

I'm here to learn and help others!