What Got You Into Computers?

Derykey

Parents & grandparents had one when I was young, got into PC gaming (not shooters and the likes.. more like puzzles and turn based). Kept playing until I was about 12, then I got into programming in Java. Learned PHP, jQuery, and JavaScript since.

Edit: I'm also 'in' with a whole bunch of computer nerds, like the owners of a VPS company and the Bukkit ex-staff + devs.

a screwdriver

ba dum tish

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

my brother got a bunch of cool requests to fix crap around the house and I wuz jelly so he taught me sum stuff and then i found LTT and so I learned everything lightning fast

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

It was natural for me. I remember fixing a no-POST situation on my moms desktop when I was 4 or 5. It had been dropped and knocked out the Graphics Card (it was high tech at the time). Everyone has given me their computer problems ever since. 

Playing Putt-Putt and Lego Soccer and other things as a kid. I was raised to be a techie. One of my fondest PC memories is playing Jimmy Neutron vs. Jimmy Negatron. It creeped me out as a kid. It had a really really dark undertone. It seemed like a psychological horror game, but Jimmy Neutron.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

some asshole named @khaft (irl friend)got me into it

im like hey i got 1k what should i spend it on u should build a pc and i did

and now i spend too much time on my pc fixing stuff thinking about new parts wasting time here

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

A couple of friends had built their own PC's in the past. I was tired of being a console peasant, so I tried it, and loved it ever since.

Replacing a 4MB memory stick with my Dad when I was 6 or 7.

Thought the inside was so cool that I never put the side panel back on.  Needless to say more things had to get replaced.

my dad owns a business fixing computers. he's an indenpendent contractor for dell.

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

My mum was going to buy me a ps3 off of ebay. We won the auction but my dad decided to cancel the order. After that I started to play battlefield play 4 free on an old laptop in 2010 with my friends. In 2011 my dad gave me my first pc. Specs were : a pentium e2200 and a 9400gt with 2gb ram haha. It was bad, but it was something. After about 2 years I began searching for numerous parts so that i could upgrade the pc and in the process I became an enthusiast haha :)

a screwdriver

ba dum tish

http://www.badum-tish.com/

same

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

Being almost ripped off by a PC builder scam artist selling PCs from a legitimate store in my country with top notch components and then running off with the money to the US.

From there i decided i better learn to make these things on my own, so i went to school and did my CompTIA's A+ and Net+ among other things.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

To be honest, this: 

star_trek_bridge_2.jpg

(too much Star Trek I know :)) )

Somewhere in my subconscious allways wanted to lean how to operate one of these "things".. Not exactly a dream come true, but it's close.

I wanted to be able to do more than my old laptop could handle. Various games and software were running rather slow. So I thought why not get into computers for real. With a little help from some knowledgeable friends and with some decent componentry, I managed to assemble my first build. It quickly became apparent what I'd been missing out on. I've obviously never looked back.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

I wanted to play Counter Strike so I needed to learn about PC fast.

My Rig!

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D, Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (OC'd to 4.2Ghz), RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz, GFX: 2 x Gigabyte GTX770 OC Windforce in SLI, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i with Corsair SP120 Quiet edition fans, SSD: 2 x 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro in Raid 0, Storage: 2Tb WD Caviar Black, PSU: Corsair AX760i, Monitor: Benq XL2024T Keyboard: Corsair K70, Mouse: Razer Taipan

To be honest, this: 

star_trek_bridge_2.jpg

(too much Star Trek I know :)) )

Somewhere in my subconscious allways wanted to lean how to operate one of these "things".. Not exactly a dream come true, but it's close.

Now that is what a PC player's gaming room should look like lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I got a new computer after my old one conked out after 7 years, and I started researching how to get my files off the old hdd, which led me into learning about ide and sata connectors, hard drives, and I branched out to the rest of the computer from there.

When I was roughly two or three, my dad made me help him on fixing his Windows 98 PC, so I would normally help him throughout childhood to swap out parts because having two people do a task is a lot more interesting than doing it solo.

I got into building my own PC when I was about 13 primarily because the iBuyPower PC I bought was dying out, the fans and power supply were dying. At that point I decided to migrate to the Storm Scout and buy myself a GTS 250 for its bang for buck value. It was around this time that I realized I can't play any triple A titles on high on 1080p at the time besides less-intensive engines like Source games (TF2,HL2, etc.).

In 2010-2011, I went the AMD route because the Phenom II 950 was a really great value and was marketed a lot cheaper compared to the i5 750s at the time and I paired that AMD cpu with two GTX 480s in SLI. The performance increase was substantial for games like Batman Arkham City (which had a late release alongside terrible optimization for tessellation and physX).

Shortly after that though, I inherited my brother's i5 750 (I wasn't an AMD/Intel fanboy, I just took whatever was better for cores/performance) and I would randomly swap out cpu coolers and graphics card and now I'm left with a Kraken x60 on an i5 750 and a GTX 780. My PC may be a dinosaur, but at least it gets me 60 fps on most games on High with FXAA/2X Antialiasing. 

I went to some summer camp when I was 7 and in one of the classes all we did was play computer games

I started playing around with computers in third grade or so with learning to program a Commodore 64 [ and yes this was back when those were new ].

The first computer that I owned myself was a Compaq Deskpro 286 with a glorious 20 Mb [ yes, megabyte ] 5.25" hard drive.

After that, I have built or rebuilt almost all of the computers that I have.  I only bought a brand new pre-built computer once since about 1995.

I have always been a tech tinkerer/destroyer [ more destructive than anything else when younger ]. 

Right now, I have about 8 working desktops, three or four laptops, and a couple of android devices kicking around my house.  So, I still like to get my hands dirty and working on the hardware to get it to do what I want it to

Gaming actually. Back when I was on console, I always wanted more and more. As my knowledge base developed, pc became more and more attractive, and eventually I decided to build. 

Of course this was after I had ripped apart a couple of old laptops and desktops ;).

my mom and dad

my mom does coding and my dad just realy likes pc's

Tearing apart an old prebuilt that my family used as a family PC to see if I could convert into a Home media machine.  One night I had to go do something so I left and my bro thought it would be a great idea to hoover the dust off and mangaed to kill a dim of RAM and the graphics card. :/

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

So this is what my mom told me EXACTLY; Talking from my moms standpoint-

when you were 4-5, you started prying and wiggling all the parts on our vacuum cleaner when it was out- when i took it away, you started crying.

I then put you in a room to calm you down a bit, and after a while, i heard loud bangs from the room i put you in- you somehow managed to get the sidepanel off an old pc that was standing in the corner.

I began doing laundry in the next room with the door open so i could see you playing with the computer- within 20 minutes you removed all loose parts from the PC- (Apparently i knew how to take out ram and AGp cards out t along with the slot placed Pentium II)

I let you play with the thing, because you really seemed to like it- and seeing this was an old PC, I didnt care.

I realized it was half past seven- time to put you to bed.

my mom walked upstairs to end up seeing me still playing with the PC's loose parts, and trying to cram the parts into what I think they came from.

then i got to bed and my mom saved the PC like I ended up making it- 

She recorded everything on a VHS and I looked it back not so long ago, to discover I crammed the AGp card into a PCI-slot (Non E guys..) , the Pentium II into an SDRAM slot, and put the single 128mb stick up side down in the socket somehow.

i dont know how it went further on then- but i can say to myself that i still enjoy PC's as much as i did back then apparantely.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Always been intrigued by technology

At the age of three...messing about and being mischievous with my dad's electronics, he used to install audio components in vehicles etc

He also used to build computers as a hobby, I built my first system at the age of 7 (11 years ago) and it's been that way ever since

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra