What Got You Into Computers?

Derykey

My uncle, when he was playing Earth 2140 on his 486. I was fucking blown away by this.

We got our first computer, a Commodore 64, in 1985 and ever since then I've always had a computer.

When I was a kid I used to sit on my Mum's lap and make shapes in MS word

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Boredom. I got bored of BF3 on the PS3 in the summer of 2013 so I bought myself a used laptop with a 660m and an i7 for $650. I would play Arma 2 and BF4 on that until I got interested in the desktop side of computers in January 2014. I bought my current rig in March 2014 and I've been adding to it since, learning a ton along the way from LMG and this forum! :D

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Basically, my parents bought a PC (wow) and then it started having problems (It was old, with plastic case (the ones who turn yellow)and had XP), so they asked some friends if they knew someone who could repair their PC, they said yes. He worked in Migros (Swiss store), (luckily for my parents he was Portuguese) so he started to repair our PC. It broke after some years... we got a new one from him, bla bla, and then we got a Compaq, he had to install, someting, bla bla bla, he oppend the case and I saw all that hardware, and from that point i started to interest my self in PC's and hardware... But who got me really deep into hardware was Linus...

TL;DR

aVV02zD.jpg

Basically My parents, the guy from Migros, and Linus got me into PC hardware 

sIbnrA6.jpg

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

My dad is a tech author. He let/lets me play around with stuff before/after he writes about it.

Plus my asperger's/high functioning autism.

Sig under construction.

My father has always had computers so when we moved to the city it made sense for me to learn them since there is nothing interesting to do in a concrete jungle. 

An overload of Nerd rage at how terrible battlefield 4 was on Xbox 360, and then an absolute breakdown at all the bullshit the Xbone was supposed to come with (originally)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Computerrepairs are a freakin ripoff. Way too expensive then they should be. That got me into it.

My brother i guess,he was a pc gamer,i was a console gamer.

Then at a certain point,he convinced me to buy a pc to play with him and his friends,after that i got interested in pc's,learned myself trough the painfull process of building with flaws and errors,and soon enough my first self build pc was up and running.

It was completely water cooled,and spend a small fortune on it,had it for about 4 years,with some upgrades here and there ofcourse,then owned a pre-build pc (acer predator,i know),because of the lack of time.

After about a year and a half,i decided to build my current pc,i build so much pc's for family and friends,i decided it was time to treat myself again :P.

My uncle works for Playstation, so I always had the newest PS stuff, which was cool, up until all my friends got into PC's and my family couldn't afford one.

So I got a job doing oil changes and changing tires and bought a PC.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

I used to just play consoles, but then I got "Counter Strike: Source" as a present. I got interested in computers after I started playing on them and then after I realized that it was a better experience, I could never bring myself to play on consoles again.

I've been playing on computers since I was three. The seeds for my passion for computers were sown when my dad brought me to Maplin and showed me the motherboards they had. He said "hey, let's build us a computer!" and I was like "yeah!"

Later he bought a motherboard, which sat in its antistatic bag for a year, and was only taken out after we moved to the states. We put an Athlon X2 in it, and fired it up. I was so happy that I had helped build a computer. I used that sucker for about 2 years before deciding "I need a new computer, one that doesn't suck" Coincidentally AMD had just announced their Trinity APUs and new FX line, and I was torn between an 8-core and a quad core but with graphics embedded into it. I went for the APU, and for a while, I was happy. Then a couple years later at school I ran into some friends who were talking about their gaming rigs and I piped up, rattling off my specs. There were giggles. One of them took me aside and mercifully said "we need to help you, man". It was over the next year that I found that AMD was really sucky at CPUs, and that my rig actually sucked. I set to work on grabbing me a proper GPU. I ended up with a 7870 and a CX500 to power it. I was happy for about two weeks, then I came here and left the rig with my brother. I used my laptop instead. But my urge to build a computer was too great and I built a scrapyard wars-style build, which has a CPU and GPU that trounce my old rig and quite a few others. It's "up there" in the gaming world, relatively speaking. But this was the first computer I had actually built on my own.

So, yes, computers are my passion. They're an addiction with me. I can't help it. I must build and tweak les computers.

I would have to say games and a general interest in electronics.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Dad bought a 286 ($10,000 oh dang) as he moved into an IT position many, many years ago. It had Windows 3.11 and Skifree. Hooked on games instantly.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I don't know, it kind of grew that way. I had a friend in high school who used to boast about how good his pc was because it was a Core Duo overclocked at 2.7GHz, and because it had a translucent red case with lights in it, and everything. The computer I had at the time was a 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4, a computer I still have fond memories of, but ever since that guy let me know you can actually build pcs yourself I always wanted to try it. Fast forward seven years, and here we are now, with my current rig. I'm not gonna lie, it's only the second machine I've built and the specs really aren't awe inspiring, but a lot of work went into it, and I'm proud of it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

i would need to tell my life story for any of it to make sense.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I was a console gamer, but all the next gen consoles were coming out and I saw how much better PC gaming was, so I built my own PC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

The subreddit r/battlestations did it for me, it showed me how great I could make a computer. My father also has lots of old monitors lying around and after I hooked up a second monitor to my crappy old pc I felt this complete joy at doing something so cool.

upgrading the graphics card in my second desktop

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

My dad. He helped me build my first computer and then rebuild it a few years later when the motherboard failed. That was in 7th grade. 

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

I got into computers at the age of 2 or 3(for gaming) but started being really interested in what was inside computers only  around 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not so sure, but I think it was simply because I used to spend 90% of my time gaming on my crappy laptop and I was tired of not knowing what was inside, so I got a pre-built "gaming" computer (gotta love them gt620, super great gaming card...). I later got a gtx650ti of magical boost of +10 name length. Then 8 months ago my i7 diededed and it was when I used the knowledge I had gathered to build a "whole new" computer(still waiting on broadwell...).

I was always into technology but what initially got me into building computers and pc gaming was I watched Robbaz and I really wanted to mod skyrim. I then went on the hunt to go prebuilt and I was looking at the iBuyPower Revolt I think was the name of it. I stopped looking into it because  of money issues and then 6 months ish went buy and then I decided maybe I should build one and then Linus came into my life and the first video I watched was Build A Better $1500 pc and I watched his videos ever since. And here we are about a year and a half later :P