Vulkan absorbed "best and brightest" parts of Mantle.

worros

Source

“The cross-vendor Khronos Group has chosen the best and brightest parts of Mantle to serve as the foundation for Vulkan,” said Robert Hallock, the head of global technical marketing at AMD.

The Vulkan is a new low-overhead/high-throughput API that provides access to graphics and compute on modern graphics processing units used in various devices. Just like AMD Mantle, the open-source Vulkan API will enable explicit GPU control, will minimize driver overhead and will enable efficient CPU multi-threading. Since Vulkan will eventually be found on virtually all types of hardware, it makes a great sense for AMD to focus on this API.

“Vulkan paves the way for a renaissance in cross-platform and cross-vendor PC games with exceptional performance, image quality and features,” stressed Mr. Hallock.

So is Mantle still, kinda, technically alive? I mean mantle itself is of course shut down, but at least all the efforts of what I would assume was a pretty big team over at AMD wasn't a complete waste of time. Good to see that at least someone is making use out of what Mantle could have been.

Mantle is dead.  We now have Vulkan.  Moving on AMD lovers.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

It's not dead, it's an alternative.

It led the way, of course it will be superseded and hardly used when better options are out there.

Don't begrudge Mantle...it's good it happened, finally shifted the lazy asses elsewhere to concentrate on MOVING forward with the industry instead of sitting in a LULL because people were doing and hearing good things about it... more competition makes benefits to consumers more apparent in shorter time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It's not dead, it's an alternative.

It led the way, of course it will be superseded and hardly used when better options are out there.

Don't begrudge Mantle...it's good it happened, finally shifted the lazy asses elsewhere to concentrate on MOVING forward with the industry instead of sitting in a LULL because people were doing and hearing good things about it... more competition makes benefits to consumers more apparent in shorter time.

This. It seems like Mantle was only created to force the industry to evolve. Now we will have DX12 and Vulkan doing basically the same thing as Mantle, but they will be more mainstream than Mantle.

I am excited to see what the future brings in terms of performance with these two :)

AMD is the best. Vulkani is the future of LINUX gaming :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Like AMD executive said, Mantle is not dead, it has been branched into three different directions: DX12, Vulkan and Open source Mantle.

Like AMD executive said, Mantle is not dead, it has been branched into three different directions: DX12, Vulkan and Open source Mantle.

:)

Bring on the enhancements

Check this out peeps.

Thousands of units and many many light sources all at once.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

funny, "every" gamer in the world

will have a better performance thanks to AMD

and yet...

people still criticism AMD

fo build a better world

to us  :)

funny, "every" gamer in the world

will have a better performance thanks to AMD

and yet...

people still criticism AMD

fo build a better world

to us :)

LOL ya. The kronos group themselves Officially thanked AMD during their GDC presentation. And still people will hate...

AMD is the best. Vulkani is the future of LINUX gaming :)

and so much more than just Linux...

I find myself wondering how long Vulkan support will be "coming"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's been disappointing to note the total lack of vulkan / openGL next coverage on the WAN show and Linus media group. News has been coming for months and This is an initiative which almost the entire industry has gotten behind and it's going to impact windows, linux, mac osx, Apple IOS, android, consoles as well as industrial applications. It also has the same performance boosts as dx12 and mantle but without being tied to one platform or vendor. And yet those have been given much more attention on the wan show despite their much more limited relevance.

I find myself wondering how long Vulkan support will be "coming"

i think Release drivers by the end of the year from NVIDIA, AMD and Intel. It's currently alpha but a number of devs already have working implementations in-house with experimental drivers. Source 2 already supports it.

It's been disappointing to note the total lack of vulkan / openGL next coverage on the WAN show and Linus media group. News has been coming for months and This is an initiative which almost the entire industry has gotten behind and it's going to impact windows, linux, mac osx, Apple IOS, android, consoles as well as industrial applications. It also has the same performance boosts as dx12 and mantle but without being tied to one platform or vendor. And yet those have been given much more attention on the wan show despite their much more limited relevance.

i think Release drivers by the end of the year from NVIDIA, AMD and Intel. It's currently alpha but a number of devs already have working implementations in-house with experimental drivers. Source 2 already supports it.

Interesting. I'm not against AMD or anything, I'm actually for them since the whole 970 debacle, just wondering if anything will actually come of it. Mantle always seemed to be in a perpetual waiting phase.

Interesting. I'm not against AMD or anything, I'm actually for them since the whole 970 debacle, just wondering if anything will actually come of it. Mantle always seemed to be in a perpetual waiting phase.

well this isn't about mantle or AMD anymore. It's about an industry standard now- vulkan. NVIDIA is also pushing it. AMD are even asking devs to not bother with mantle 1 anymore.

More info in below thread incld page 2

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303393-next-generation-opengl-to-be-shown-at-gdc/#entry4122938

well this isn't about mantle or AMD anymore. It's about an industry standard now- vulkan. NVIDIA is also pushing it. AMD are even asking devs to not bother with mantle 1 anymore.

.....awesome.

Coz Microsoft just whipped up DX12 this quick right guys? there is absolutely no way they were working on it before Mantle was made right?  -_-

Coz Microsoft just whipped up DX12 this quick right guys? -_-

It's not been quick...at all.

Just like Mantle wasn't built in a day, Microsoft would have been looking into DX12 since DX11 launched. What to do, how to do it...

Engineers from multiple companies collaborate and no doubt all come to the same conclusions,... yet wanna go their own way to implement it.

I'm quite positive it has been a thing for a LONG time.

It's not been quick...at all.

Just like Mantle wasn't built in a day, Microsoft would have been looking into DX12 since DX11 launched. What to do, how to do it...

Engineers from multiple companies collaborate and no doubt all come to the same conclusions,... yet wanna go their own way to implement it.

I'm quite positive it has been a thing for a LONG time.

Your whole argument was Mantle made Microsoft deliver DX12 and now your contradicting it....

Your whole argument was Mantle made Microsoft deliver DX12 and now your contradicting it....

microsoft thanked amd for helping them make directx 12 so probably the mantle team was talking with the directx12 team. so just as amd helped make vulkan they also helped make directx 12

microsoft thanked amd for helping them make directx 12 so probably the mantle team was talking with the directx12 team. so just as amd helped make vulkan they also helped make directx 12

No doubt AMD has had some sort of contribution but these guys are acting like DX12 was never going to happen and it would of never of achieved what it has now without mantle.

No doubt AMD has had some sort of contribution but these guys are acting like DX12 was never going to happen and it would of never of achieved what it has now without mantle.

well we dont know what would have happened if mantle wasnt there

well we dont know what would have happened if mantle wasnt there

We kinda do since we already know DX12 has been in the works for quite sometime.

DirectX12 would have happened with or without mantle. What we don't know is how long it would have taken, or whether they would have ended up touting the exact same benefits as mantle.

From mantle to vulkan there is a clear connection, not so much for directx12, despite the similarities.

That doesn't mean behind closed door's they have not been talking to each other... cos they do...they have been doing that for years.

Mantle, publicly announced first,.... made the public push Microsoft to make DX12 public sooner/to be competitive, that doesn't mean DX12 wasn't already somewhat in the works.... which is understandable being that DX11 is so old now.

I didn't mean to contradict myself, just worded shit wrong.

We kinda do since we already know DX12 has been in the works for quite sometime.

but we dont know what would have been inside directx12 and was directx12 development longer than mantle?