Project Chernobyl

Owndblood
Hello there! I'm rather new into the case modding world but I feel I've been progressing quickly.

I've always been very interested in computers and as many others, more interested in the hardware and how a computer works more than the games that you can play.

I decided to make my own case mod, at first I did not have a name for it so it went under a build name called Project Blue Dream 2.0, but as the build progressed I started getting clearer visions of how I want the PC to look like when I was done.

The name that I decided on was Project Chernobyl, I'll tell you more about how I thought of the name later in the build log.

Well, Who am I?

My name is August Lindgren and I'm a soon to be 17 year old student, on my spare time I do quite a variety of things, I like to ride snowmobiles, dirtbikes, workout, play on my PC but mostly, build PCs. I started this project because I really wanted to achieve something, something good!

I apologize in advance for the image quality during the build but I assure you there will be better photos for my later builds!

now that you know who I am, let's get started with the build log!

The current specifications in the system are:

CPU - AMD fx-8320 ( 20x * 220Mhz @ 1.365V = 4.4GHz)

MOBO - Sabertooth 990fx R 2.0

RAM - Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600MHz

GPU - R9 270x Vapor-x

GPU2 - R9 270x Vapor-x

PSU - Corsair HX 1000i

HDD - 1x WD green 1tb

SSD - Kingston v300 128 GB

SPU - Xonar Phoebus Solo

here are some pictures of what the computer used to look like before I got started.

YZTRXKb.png

And here is my first vision of what I wanted the build to look like.

These renders were created in Google Sketchup 2015 and rendered in Visualizer.

So I got to work! 

tw2V08K.jpg

LqMf0bO.jpg

List of things to be done

Strip the case of all its panels and hardware

Get the fanrings painted yellow

Paint the front bezel yellow

remove heatsinks from RAM and Motherboard for respraying

I started prying of the heatsinks from the RAM sticks for repainting.

os49EOQ.jpg

ukK6iGk.jpg

IPrEhMs.jpg

This is the front bezel, fan rings and the ram sticks painted.

I also painted the motherboard heatsink but I forgot to take a proper photo of it.

Massive pile of hardware here :)

86G6zGR.jpg

these are the new fans that will be going into the system, also with yellow painted fan rings instead of the dull blue ones.

xIaLbdC.jpg

at first I thought this was just going to be a small little project but it ended up being so much more than just that.

as the project went on I got more and more ideas for it and started over again, and again, and again..

here are some pictures from after the first mod was done.

W1mKZ98.jpgRXvw4KN.jpgnN1Kmg4.jpgAO8O3w8.jpg

doing some test fitting.

First update!

I consider my first goals with this mod to be complete but I want to do a lot more.

I've just finished ordering a custom loop so I'm very excited about getting started.

to be honest I ordered quite a bit of stuff.. Here's a list!

EK-Coolstream PE 360

EK-CSQ 10/16mm G 1/4 Black

EK-Supreme LTX AMD Acetal CSQ

Laing DDC 12v

XSPC Reservoir

Primochill LRT Crystal clear 10/16

Feser one UV Yellow

Phobya UV Flexlight

Phobya TwinLED UV

Phobya Y cable 3 pin to 4x 3 pin

Alphacool universal pump mount

A third Acer G246hl 24" 1080p

AX 4200 Triple Monitor Stand

A1 Saga XXL Mousepad

I recieved some surprise income and decided to purchase all the things I've been wanting to get.

as most of my friends know I'm rather of an OCD case when it comes to cable management, I'm extremely particulour about how I want my cables to sit and look like, so redoing my actual setup is started to happen on a regular basis. 

more mods on the way!

Going to go buy some acrylic sheets that will act as both a PSU cover, Midplate and some GPU backplates.

Second update!

All the acrylic is purchased and is sitting next to me, I also bought some primer and a few cans of black color.

as always, there are some cardboard models of how the acrylic will sit..

Because why not, right?

I measured out the acrylic and cut them to size, also got started on bending the sheet for the PSU cover.

vqSGY2O.jpg

8YHquEZ.jpg

4F12ISA.jpg5YMaieU.jpgtHev58r.jpgCEO9fsd.jpg

I was walking around the house when I noticed an old external 2.5" drive, so I dismantled it and made a little SSD case for it!

vCrFK1q.jpg

Here are the acrylic sheets all done and painted.

Ois4hQr.jpg

Doing some test fits before fastening them properly 

OtIUky6.jpg

6GGRgQo.jpg5c7yNLJ.jpg

Third Update!

Unfortunately there has been some delays regarding the custom loop, I'm sorry to have kept you guys waiting!

Here are some pictures of the first layout.

Good news! no leaks, woohoo.

I found it extremely hard to actually bleed the loop with the tiny reservoir mounted in the bottom so for the bleeding part I placed it ontop of the case instead, found that was much easier!

I must say I am a bit disapointed on the fluid, but really depends on the lighting and from which direction you're looking at it.

I managed to get some pretty good shots of the loop while bleeding.

x9eRwvz.jpg

IKzSbxW.jpg

Here's a picture of the tiny reservoir I was talking about.

ZyJVRtc.jpg

here is a perfect example of what I meant with the fluid switching colors!

it looks a lot more green in some places.

ubmVDfQ.jpg

So I ordered some sleeving guys! I really thought the blue cables would suit better in the build but they appeared not to.

I ordered some yellow, black and gray sleeving, Which I found suits the build a lot better.

there's happen a few things now actually, I've done quite a lot of things.

Sleeved all the cables.

Mounted "Biohazard" fangrills, more coming soon!

Got the text "Chernobyl" printed on the side of the PSU cover and on the front panel.

Metal Biohazard logo on the front panel

and also got some white E22 decals on the fans, I really don't like the look of the corsair logos on the fans and especially not when they are spinning as they are not centered..

Pictures under the sleeving process! Jesus it makes your fingers hurt.

EMS0qxP.jpg

First wire done!

HGCRR93.jpg

QwwAQup.jpg

HBgiHI6.jpg

U0OcSWn.jpg

P5UoxGt.jpg

I actually ended up redoing the sata cables as I didn't like the look of all yellow.

I couldn't post the final pictures directly because I felt that I had to get a better camera for it as my one really isn't doing this build justice.

And here we go! I called my cousin who works with photography and she was able to bring her Canon EOS 7D Mark II over and help me get some really good photos!

Here are the final pictures guys, the moment we've all been waiting for!

8nR0HTr.jpgsqoq8uu.jpgEvMkq67.jpgehpii8S.jpgVoavKG7.jpgq28LtHP.jpgc23glKi.jpg

Now, you might be wondering how I came up with the name Chernobyl?

Yes, it's actually a really simple story, I've always been interested in nuclear plants and especially Chernobyl, I don't know what it is but it just interests me.

and late one night while I was sitting just glaring at my computer I got the feeling of a nuclear plant looking at the fluid going through the tubing, that typical "green-ish" look.

in my opinion sort of looks radioactive, so I decided to call the computer Chernobyl!

Now before you say anything.

Yes, I know the reservoir is way too small and I am planning to change it as soon as money allows me to do so.

I will be moving on to a cylinder reservoir instead and also I will be changing out the fluid to Mayhems Pastel yellow at some point.

but that is for another time.

I really appreciate all you guys for reading this log and giving me all the feedback, it has really helped to help me make it through the project!

Thank you.

August Lindgren

Impressive. I really like what you did, especially how you didn't go overboard with the theme. It all ties together really well! :D

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Looks great :) I love it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wow such detail, many wow. Makes mine look like crap.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

The backplates and the sleeved cables look great.

What's a spu

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

can't wait until you put some real power in it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Damn, that's pretty nice. Also, I didn't have to wait three weeks to see this project get finished. I like it.

Thank you for all the great feedback guys! it really helps me push the modding further.

What's a spu

An SPU is a short term word for Sound Processing Unit,(sound card)

can't wait until you put some real power in it

I can't wait either! will most likely be moving on to intel by the summer and possibly 3xx series or some 290x's, which will also be watercooled by then ;)

Damn, that's pretty nice. Also, I didn't have to wait three weeks to see this project get finished. I like it.

Thank you! if you're interested I've got a new project coming up soon aswell!

I can't wait either! will most likely be moving on to intel by the summer and possibly 3xx series or some 290x's, which will also be watercooled by then ;)

sweet can't wait to see that

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good...

However if it blows up will your room be uninhabitable for 20,000 years???

So Chernobyl implying nuclear disaster and radioactivity, but you put a biohazardous waste sticker inside instead of the radioactive trifoil?  I'm confused.  Also, can't wait for someone to use the nuclear theme with a blue glowing computer, since chereknov radiation is all sorts of pretty blue, and not glowing green.

Still, it's a pretty build, thumbs up and thumbs up for posting it when it's finished.  

So Chernobyl implying nuclear disaster and radioactivity, but you put a biohazardous waste sticker inside instead of the radioactive trifoil?  I'm confused.  Also, can't wait for someone to use the nuclear theme with a blue glowing computer, since chereknov radiation is all sorts of pretty blue, and not glowing green.

Still, it's a pretty build, thumbs up and thumbs up for posting it when it's finished.  

I'm using Biohazard stickers because I prefer the looks, and if you look into it from a deeper perspective you'll find that they quite fit the theme.

I saw this post then realised I could do something. So I decided to go biohazard with neon green.I used a fractal design 2500 midi tower case

Thats amazing work .... LOVE it

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

did you really put acrylic onto the back of your GPU's? you realize what heat does to acrylic right?

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

To be honest I wouldn't of used the name Chernobyl, since it became a DISASTER, EXPLOSION, FIRE, and LEAKING RADIOACTIVE WASTE, so sounds like the computer will have a problem and will end with a fluid leak

• 3 weeks later...