Used vs New In Box PC Parts

LoL @ THAT VOICE hahaha. Nice job to whoever EQ'd it and of course to Luke for taking a year off the life of his own voice. EPIC!

Looking forward to a higher budget scrapyard wars where I reckon the 2nd hand machines should really show their strength potential.

Oh and something about blaming Edzel for all of the things #becausereasons

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Was pretty surprised how well "Prometheus" did. It's great to see both sides getting compared! Personally, I'd stick with new parts.

Isn't there a large performance gap between the 280 vs 280X? 

(as far as i know) in AAA games (1080p at max)... yea  :blush:

in "non AAA games" you will not see much difference (or any difference at all) to tell the truth (the 280 is already a beast card)

(feel free to correct me if i am wrong)  ^_^

Prometheus FTW ^_^

Athlon x4 860 cpu

6GB ram

480w psu

R9 280 3GB vram gpu

(new component + warranty) :ph34r:

There was a fairly good reason for it being named Prometheus. Like the first X-303 ship code named Prometheus the PC had a fairly average base that was out-fitted with superior technology.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

when I was kid, I always go for 2nd hand parts as my part time income was low.
I would recommend doing some back ground checking on seller's profile making sure he/she has a nice record and good rep.

And don't be shy to ask about the condition.
Now that my income is 20 times more then when i was a kid, I would just got the best hardware brand new. 

Hehe, love this whole series, I ended up building a used system for a good friend of mine total cost 240 dollars Canadian that is :-P

Amd phenom II 1100t

Asus a4m87td evo

Gskill ripjaws 2400mhz 8gb ddr3 2x4gb

1tb Seagate hdd

60 gb ocz ssd

550w cooler Master gx 80pluss bronze

CM HAF 912 case

And a Asus Dcu 2 gtx 560ti

In Norway that is about as cheap you can make it. Scored ok in 3d mark can get the score if anyone wonders :-P

So thanks for the inspiration :-D

It turned out how i expected it. It boils down to having "peace of mind" about your components, knowing that your parts probably wont fail, cuz they're brand new, and even if so, you have the warranty to replace it. And of course the convenience so to say that you can just go online, click a few buttons and have all the parts on your doorstep by tomorrow, not having to do long researches and run after each individual component to individual sellers.

I've bought stuff (no pc components, mostly smartphones) 2nd hand without issue altough I have to say I'm undecided, if i'll buy 2nd hand Pc parts if i need to(i might in the near future), but looking at the prometheus vs the thrift machine in performance difference, the TM4000 isn't really justifying the extra risk and hassle as the tradeoff for said performance IMHO.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Video above posting for obvious reasons. LOL!

It is worth the risk to get used pc parts but just be smart about it.  Be demanding of the people you are buying from and ask to see the things benchmarked or tested or say I will give you the cash when I test the item out at home on your own pc or pcs.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

My Brothers Birthday Pc Build

( hopefully all parts work pending them to come in.. )

Craigslist:

Sentey cs1-1420 - (missing bay covers and thumbscrews) - 15 USD

FX-6300 with stock cooler - 60 USD

(Bought them off same person for 75)

eBay:

Micron 128gb ssd realssd c300 - 43.98 USD

Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2tb 7200rpm hd - 46.09 USD

MSI 760-GM P34 - 20 USD

Sentey XPlus 725W - 32.25 USD

XFX R9 280X DD Black Edition - 155 USD

New Egg:

16gb ddr3 PNY XLR8 1600mhz - 109.99 USD

Grand total - 482.31USD

The goal was to remain under 500 USD - I will let you guys know the results!

Thoughts ?

Just picked up a cooler am3+ cooler master cooler .. For 17 dollars.

Bringing the grand total to 499.31 ... Whew.. Lol .. Waiting for the last piece to come in .. Hope to have this baby running this weekend..

Great video & great topic, i think used tech is underrated.

If you see something before buying it to check the conditions and then you ask a proof of purchase for the warranty you're good!

Nice video By the way, luke!

My personal opinion is to buy things like your CPU, heatsink, case(I really don't care too much what my computer looks like, just the power under the hood), RAM, maybe GPU if its a killer deal, Motherboards probably not unless Its a motherboard that I know isn't going to have leaking caps, and scratched leads.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

In every situation, check price. There are used or refurb deals on Amazon, Ebay, newegg, but sometimes the price is the exact cost of a brand new item....or higher! Amazon resellers are especially bad about that.

IMO if you're willing to put up with quite a bit of extra noise, upgrading used workstations is a pretty good route. 

I did my full build - dual socket X5570, 24 GB memory, GTX970, 4TB HDD + 256 GB SSD for under $1200 after tax and shipping. A 4k monitor, mechanical keyboard, new mouse and some more accessories put my setup at about $2000 altogether.

I put my tower under my bed so noise isn't really an issue. I can always replace the fans later  if needed .

Whoa dat announcer voice. Made a few heads turn in my house :P

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I think buying used is great for PC parts since a lot of companies go by serial warranty anyway and you can always ask the guy you're buying from for the original receipt. I just got a killer deal for 2 Gigabyte gtx 780 ti Ghz editions and 2 EK waterblocks for them for $800 total. Can't beat that price anywhere. 

Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/94ZW7P

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/94ZW7P/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($71.89 @ OutletPC) 

CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-Siberian-01 51.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($8.89 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($54.98 @ Newegg) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($22.00 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $397.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 11:24 EST-0500

In response to the video's ending. I built my computer using some used components, namely 12Gb of Mushkin RAM paired with an Intel i7-950 all stuck on an AsRock X58 Extreme. Thankfully, these were bought from my Dad's coworker, so I trusted him to give me my money should the components not function. Even still, I only payed $200 for all that, so it was a good deal.

That being said, they've been running very, very well since then (now paired with a Strix 970) and pumping out the FPS quite nicely on my triple monitors!

i7s are a safe bet (if they werent crazy overclocked) due to Intel's bining! Only the better silicon gets the i7 name (you wont find used newer Xeons for sale cheap sadly...)

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

Using a mix of used a new parts is best IMO. I have built a few systems to sell for profit over the last few months using

New:

Case

PSU

SSD

CPU Cooler

and used:

CPU

MOBO

RAM

GPU

Using this method I spent ~USD440 to build this system:

Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor
be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
2 x Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Crucial M550 256GB mSATA Solid State Drive
Sapphire HD 7950
Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
2 x Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan

Long story short it plays Battlefield 4 on High settings at 1080P and boots windows in like 30 seconds

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

Based @nicklmg has granted us with another videa.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Terve!
I am impressed that Linus didn't jump on camera to grab his shirt. He's alway great for crazy actions.

However. I prefer bying new stuff, becaus I am so damn unlucky. I have RMA rates in the 2 digit range and it's not stopping any time soon I guess.

Great Video, would love to see more, altough I am not too happy with the used parts thing.

Sayonara!

Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/94ZW7P
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/94ZW7P/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($71.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-Siberian-01 51.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($8.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($54.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($22.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $397.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 11:24 EST-0500

I would go for a Pentium Anniversary! and a single 4gb ram, makes it cheaper to upgrade in the future

Maybe a used GPU instead of the 280 + a good CPU cooler to OC the hell out of it. Also used ram and case wont be problematic..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6yZW7P

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

Does the contest have to use our own builds or any build?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I bought all my components new, but whenever I start feeling like I need a GPU upgrade I'll probably buy a used AMD card, since you can get some serious value there. Although I do really like nVidia... Before that I should probably overclock my machine a bit though. I bought an Intel K processor and haven't even overclocked it after owning it for two and a half years :(  I guess I'm just afraid of wearing it out faster without a huge boost in performance. 

Bitfenix Shinobi Window, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Intel i5 3570k Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, msi GTX 660 (non-ti) 2GB, Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz 8GBCorsair CX600, Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB, ASUS Xonar DGX, Windows 7 Home Premium, 1995 IBM Model M2 (buckling springs), SteelSeries Sensei RAW, Sennheiser HD 518, A 22" 1680x1050 LG TV, Samsung S27D390H 27" PLS HD Monitor, Crucial MX-100 256GB SSD, RGB Case LEDs from IKEA(no kidding)

this was actually a pretty good video considering the information that is sometimes not mentioned in others... but, with these two 'budget" builds between Linus and Luke, and elsewhere around the web, when people ask for help keeping withing a budget, unless you live in Chine or in a few eastern european countries, and operating system will add an extra 80 to 90 dollars to each build........... unless, do I dare say it....... bootleg opsys? So where did the operating systems in each build come from amd what is the projected real world added expense?