What headphone should I choose

12345poopi

We recommend against that around here. They're based off the 700X most likely, but even the 900X can be had for less than 200 bucks. They're even on buydig.com for 140 right now.

I wouldn't recommend getting a headset generally, but OP said earlier that he really wants a mic built in...

Otherwise, the Sennheiser G4ME ONE is also an open backed headset. MSRP is around $250, so it might even be better, as far as price to performance. There is also a closed version, the G4ME ZERO. 

Honestly though, the modmic 4.0 basically makes it a headset anyway, so it might be a better option, since you can get much better headphones for $710, plus $40 for the modmic putting you at $750... I would very strongly recommend IEM's first (my personal preference) then a Modmic/Headphone combo, and then a headset. 

Keep in mind that if you ever decide to sell them, you'll probably have more luck selling headphones at that price range, than you would a headset, should you ever want to change your sound setup. Plus, you can transfer the modmic to your next headphones, since it's a magnet attached to the headphones be a sticky pad, and a magnet (If I recall correctly...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Sorry for the double post... This one is about open vs. closed headphones. If you are just playing at home, or in a quiet environment, then open will be fine. Be aware that you will be able to hear just about everything around you, including mouse clicks, and anything of the like. If you will be playing in louder environments, then a closed headset would actually be better, as you will be able to hear more detail, due to the noise isolation (not cancellation!) that is inherent in closed designs. The general consensus as far as I am aware is that open designs give a larger sound stage, but that isn't all that helpful for gaming. A closed design would give you a really good idea of where everything is coming from anyway, and for gaming I doubt you would notice a difference, other than being less bothered by those around you.

If you are going to be in very noisy environments, like at tournaments, then I would suggest that you do what the pros actually do at large tournaments (at least CS:GO pros, anyway) which is to get some really nice in ear monitors, and use those for your sound, then get a headset that you wear over them/around your neck, and use it for the mic only. If you want to go that route, anything from Westone, Shure etc. would do really well, as they will have really really good noise isolation, to the point that you can't hear anything around you, with moderate sound going through the In ears. If you really wanted to use that full budget, you could spring for some custom IEM's (In-ear Monitors), like the 1964 Ears' Qi model. I use a pair of Shure SE535's for my gaming, and I am planning on getting a pair of customs from 1964 ears, although I will be going for the V8's, I think.

Most higher end IEM's very good, if a little bit more intimate sound stages, and I find that they work incredibly well for gaming. Plus, my Shure's are so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing them after about ten minutes of having them in my ears. Be aware that if you do go the custom IEM route, getting a musicians fit will give you the best noise isolation, as it goes past the second bend in your ear canal.

Just giving you a couple of other options. Although, be aware that if you get some custom IEM's you will probably want to get something like the dragonfly, because it has a really low noise floor, so you won't have to deal with white noise in the background when you don't have any sound going through the cans.

I already have a set of IEMs ATH IM03

I'm gaming at home so I think I'll get open because it's better for music too

I wouldn't recommend getting a headset generally, but OP said earlier that he really wants a mic built in...

Otherwise, the Sennheiser G4ME ONE is also an open backed headset. MSRP is around $250, so it might even be better, as far as price to performance. There is also a closed version, the G4ME ZERO.

Honestly though, the modmic 4.0 basically makes it a headset anyway, so it might be a better option, since you can get much better headphones for $710, plus $40 for the modmic putting you at $750... I would very strongly recommend IEM's first (my personal preference) then a Modmic/Headphone combo, and then a headset.

Keep in mind that if you ever decide to sell them, you'll probably have more luck selling headphones at that price range, than you would a headset, should you ever want to change your sound setup. Plus, you can transfer the modmic to your next headphones, since it's a magnet attached to the headphones be a sticky pad, and a magnet (If I recall correctly...)

Actually if I just want the bestest most kickass headset I can get (I'll spend $20 on a mod mic) what would it be?

And the Sennheiser HD800 is only 300 ohms, and very picky about what you use to drive it.

In what way?

In what way?

I just meant that in my opinion, it sounds better when paired with amps, etc. that have a warmer sound signature. That being said, I like have a pretty decent amount of bass, so that's probably why. It gets too harsh for me when it's paired with a reference grade amp.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Actually if I just want the bestest most kickass headset I can get (I'll spend $20 on a mod mic) what would it be?

Well, with a budget of $750 minus the modmic, you are pretty well spoiled for choice. You said earlier that it would be for gaming at home, so one thing you may want to consider is getting some sort of amp, and a slightly less expensive pair of cans, so you can extract the most out of them, although you will probably be just fine with onboard sound. (I mainly like external stuff because in my experience, it tends to have a better bass boost function, and I like being able to do that quickly for some music.)

If you just want to go for sound quality that's pretty easy to drive, look into Audeze's new EL line. They retail for $699. 

You could also look into the Grado PS500E, those are around $600.

Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD700 would be good to look into as well.

The Fostex TH-600 also bears a look into, even though it's a closed (or semi-open, I'm not sure) design. They are the little brother of the TH-900, which is one of the best closed, dynamic driver earphones on the market, and these are supposed to sound just as good. Plus, they can be had for around $600 right now.

That's about all I can come up with for now. Sorry I can't help too much more, I'm more into the IEM side of things than full size. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I just meant that in my opinion, it sounds better when paired with amps, etc. that have a warmer sound signature. That being said, I like have a pretty decent amount of bass, so that's probably why. It gets too harsh for me when it's paired with a reference grade amp.

Which amps?

Post farming much?

And what color is the pot? Same as the kettle? 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Which amps?

Specifically, I'm not actually sure. A friend of mine had some HD800's, and a few different amps. I found that I liked the ones with a warmer sound. Sorry that I can't remember!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Well, with a budget of $750 minus the modmic, you are pretty well spoiled for choice. You said earlier that it would be for gaming at home, so one thing you may want to consider is getting some sort of amp, and a slightly less expensive pair of cans, so you can extract the most out of them, although you will probably be just fine with onboard sound. (I mainly like external stuff because in my experience, it tends to have a better bass boost function, and I like being able to do that quickly for some music.)

If you just want to go for sound quality that's pretty easy to drive, look into Audeze's new EL line. They retail for $699.

You could also look into the Grado PS500E, those are around $600.

Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD700 would be good to look into as well.

The Fostex TH-600 also bears a look into, even though it's a closed (or semi-open, I'm not sure) design. They are the little brother of the TH-900, which is one of the best closed, dynamic driver earphones on the market, and these are supposed to sound just as good. Plus, they can be had for around $600 right now.

That's about all I can come up with for now. Sorry I can't help too much more, I'm more into the IEM side of things than full size.

Haha actually what are amps and are there any decent ones out there for $100-$200

I think I'll get the sanheiser HD series as its sanheiser haha so the quality is up there and HD series I heard is one of their best

I'm looking at the HD800 but it's not gonna be much of a benefit compared to HD700 which is much cheaper

Any good amps out there for boosting bass and providing good audio

I'm looking at HD700 and a good amp

Thanks for all the help

Haha Linus tech tips audio forum community is one of the best, this is my first post here

Anyone can state difference between HD600/650/700/800

And why does the price increase so exponentially for HD800 what's exactly am I paying for? :)

Anyone can state difference between HD600/650/700/800

7dfab76282.png

I believe that if you can't decipher a dBr/Hz graph you can't decipher audiophile lingo either.

And why does the price increase so exponentially for HD800 what's exactly am I paying for? smile.png

The price goes up so much on the HD800 because Sennheiser does a lot of QC during production. They measure the driver performance at multiple stages, and throw out the ones which don't fall into a narrow spec. Less costly headphones have looser standards which allow cheaper production in higher volumes. Simple economics.

7dfab76282.png

I believe that if you can't decipher a dBr/Hz graph you can't decipher audiophile lingo either.

The price goes up so much on the HD800 because Sennheiser does a lot of QC during production. They measure the driver performance at multiple stages, and throw out the ones which don't fall into a narrow spec. Less costly headphones have looser standards which allow cheaper production in higher volumes. Simple economics.

Haha I know how to read it's just that what is better or worse? Haha I suspect there's no definitive answer to that depends on what I want

But why are IEMs good if they have a flat frequency response

I suspect there's no definitive answer to that depends on what I want

Your suspicions are completely and utterly correct in the most dire way.

But why are IEMs good if they have a flat frequency response

What do you mean? I believe my VSonic VSD1S is good, and it doesn't have a flat frequency response.

Your suspicions are completely and utterly correct in the most dire way.

What do you mean? I believe my VSonic VSD1S is good, and it doesn't have a flat frequency response.

Suspected it, rule applies for all hardware "get what's best for you and you only"

I think I'll got with HD700 does it come with virtual 7.1 and do I need it? Or should I just game w stereo, anyone noticed any difference in in-game performance and sound quality?

Any recommendations for an amp too? STX I is technically an amp so should I get it?

Suspected it, rule applies for all hardware "get what's best for you and you only"

I think I'll got with HD700 does it come with virtual 7.1 and do I need it? Or should I just game w stereo, anyone noticed any difference in in-game performance and sound quality?

Any recommendations for an amp too? STX I is technically an amp so should I get it?

Real headphones do not come with virtual surround sound. You can try Razer Surround software if you wish (it's free), but most people with higher end headphones think virtual surround sounds a bit funky. Most of the regulars here just set their game to "headphones" which makes the game use whatever internal binaural system they have set up, and leave it be. Especially for open headphones, virtual gaming surround sound effects are considered poopy.

Try the headphones with your onboard before getting another source. When it comes to source hardware, I believe if it aint bad, it's good - higher end stuff may have nicer build quality and fancier components, but it largely doesn't affect sound quality. If you want more volume, or if there's some kind of EMI from the PC that gets into the sound, or just because you like spending money, we recommend getting external solutions instead of internal soundcards. I personally use a Syba DAC with my HD 650 - it's not high end at all, but it has the features I want and doesn't sound bad. The SMSL SD793-II and Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier are other cheaper options that look a bit nicer, and I feel good recommending them. 

Real headphones do not come with virtual surround sound. You can try Razer Surround software if you wish (it's free), but most people with higher end headphones think virtual surround sounds a bit funky. Most of the regulars here just set their game to "headphones" which makes the game use whatever internal binaural system they have set up, and leave it be. Especially for open headphones, virtual gaming surround sound effects are considered poopy.

Try the headphones with your onboard before getting another source. When it comes to source hardware, I believe if it aint bad, it's good - higher end stuff may have nicer build quality and fancier components, but it largely doesn't affect sound quality. If you want more volume, or if there's some kind of EMI from the PC that gets into the sound, or just because you like spending money, we recommend getting external solutions instead of internal soundcards. I personally use a Syba DAC with my HD 650 - it's not high end at all, but it has the features I want and doesn't sound bad. The SMSL SD793-II and Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier are other cheaper options that look a bit nicer, and I feel good recommending them.

If all amps do is increase volume and nothing else including improving sound quality I don't think getting one is worth it as my on board should be able to drive the HD700 or beyerdynamics mmx300

I'm think for IEMs they lack abit of bass so with the games I play its gonna be abit crappy

I have a few more questions haha

1) What do you guys personally want and use

2) How do you think a HD700 will work with an iPhone and how will it perform in games

3) Why is there an apparent stigma against "gaming headsets" are they really that bad....

If all amps do is increase volume and nothing else including improving sound quality I don't think getting one is worth it as my on board should be able to drive the HD700 or beyerdynamics mmx300

I'm think for IEMs they lack abit of bass so with the games I play its gonna be abit crappy

I have a few more questions haha

1) What do you guys personally want and use

2) How do you think a HD700 will work with an iPhone and how will it perform in games

3) Why is there an apparent stigma against "gaming headsets" are they really that bad....

1) My main headphone is the FAD Pandora Hope VI and the AKG k7xx with a modmic as my headset. And fostex te05 as my IEMs for on the go.

2) Should be fine but do not isolate when you're in public. The hd700 I had ran on my phone just fine.

3) Yes they are worse than $40 superlux headphones. Even the ones that are a few hundred dollars. At least the gaming ones are. The actual good ones by audio companies are essentially a headphone they already make and slap on a mic and raise the price on it. Either way they're not worth it.

1) My main headphone is the FAD Pandora Hope VI and the AKG k7xx with a modmic as my headset. And fostex te05 as my IEMs for on the go.

2) Should be fine but do not isolate when you're in public. The hd700 I had ran on my phone just fine.

3) Yes they are worse than $40 superlux headphones. Even the ones that are a few hundred dollars. At least the gaming ones are. The actual good ones by audio companies are essentially a headphone they already make and slap on a mic and raise the price on it. Either way they're not worth it.

Can you really drive a HD700 on your phone? The impedance is 300ohms

And what do you mean by isolate? :)

Can you really drive a HD700 on your phone? The impedance is 300ohms

And what do you mean by isolate? :)

The ohms doesn't matter that much. Sensitivity is now important. Hd700 are pretty easy to drive. You will hear things around you and people will hear what you're listening to.

The ohms doesn't matter that much. Sensitivity is now important. Hd700 are pretty easy to drive. You will hear things around you and people will hear what you're listening to.

What's the in game performance?

dont know if you made up your mind yet but i got the sony mdr z7 thier new flagship and its awsome its msrp is 700$ i think but it always is around 500 it is a closed headphone but it just sound fantastic.

its got a huge soundstage and great imaging and a very good and powerfull bass.

at 700$ I am not sure if it is worth it but at 500$ its a great headphone for gaming and great headphone for music if you like a warm headphones.

Easy brov , just get the HyperX cloud 2 . You cant go wrong with it . unless youre looking to '' Kill The gaming headset '' and get a mod mic and a headphone along with it , i would sugguest a Danish company names AIAIAI . The AIAIAI TMA-1 young guru edition and a antlion mod mic . now young guru is closed back but you simply can not say no to japanese silk padding my friend .

Now true , you want open back but i thing the closed is good also . velure paddigns should make it more open like .

Thanks and stay groovie.

(⌐■_■)