How to stop a graphics card from "sagging"

PositiveProton

I have an HD 7950, and I've noticed that because of the weight from the cooler, the card actually "sags" a little in it's spot.  Does anyone have a way to stop this from happening, and can this cause harm to my card?

You can get things that prop the card up. Some people use a pencil, or offical products from companies. Unless it's sagging badly, it won't do any harm. I have two DirectCU II 660 Ti's in my rig that both have slight sagging.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Fishing line. Tie the fishing line to the end of the card (try to find the sturdiest point) and then tie the line to the top of your case somewhere (fan mounting holes?). You could also try getting a metal back-plate that might help a little and if not it will give a sturdier structure to tie the fishing line on. 

Here's another idea to prevent it; post #14 http://www.overclock.net/t/1167183/gpu-sagging-it-really-bugs-me-anyone-else/10#post_15681240

Darn stiff PCI-e cables... now you can make use of them :D

Zip-tied cables to case and use as support for card. 

post-7162-0-93819000-1372832107_thumb.jp

My Rigs (past and present)

I like the bracket idea. Helps a lot and doesn't look to bad.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

i have always wondered about this card sagging issue.. is it actually a bad thing to allow happen?

i have always wondered about this card sagging issue.. is it actually a bad thing to allow happen?

To an extent no. Just looks pretty bad when everything is straight and your video card has a bend. But if it bends enough it could probably damage something.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

If it bends enough, the slot will slowly get destroyed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

To an extent no. Just looks pretty bad when everything is straight and your video card has a bend. But if it bends enough it could probably damage something.

If it bends enough, the slot will slowly get destroyed.

fair enough, i have always had backplates, 90 degree mobo rotation or both so its never been an issue, good to know though maybe i should check on the rig i built for my girlfriend o.O

fair enough, i have always had backplates, 90 degree mobo rotation or both so its never been an issue, good to know though maybe i should check on the rig i built for my girlfriend o.O

I've had a 300 series card (wish I knew the model don't have the computer here) for 3-4 years and it hasn't sagged at all. It is a stock cooler though. I think it's more predominant on after market coolers because of the extra weight of the fins and heat pipes. With a graphics card the part it would sag is the furthest part away from the pci-e lane and the bracket. With a stock cooler you have a fan and a shroud in that corner, with an after market you have heat pips and fins with a fan so much more weight.

I've had a 300 series card (wish I knew the model don't have the computer here) for 3-4 years and it hasn't sagged at all. It is a stock cooler though. I think it's more predominant on after market coolers because of the extra weight of the fins and heat pipes. With a graphics card the part it would sag is the furthest part away from the pci-e lane and the bracket. With a stock cooler you have a fan and a shroud in that corner, with an after market you have heat pips and fins with a fan so much more weight.

the system i built for my girl has 2 aftermarket 7870 twin frozr's so i think i should check on them lol

buy a haf xb or other case with horizontal mobo

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

• 3 years later...

Well i tried a solution using a chop stick and a heat shrink tube. Doesn't look bad :)

IMG_20170625_140528[1].jpg

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, orch1d said:

Well i tried a solution using a chop stick and a heat shrink tube. Doesn't look bad :)

IMG_20170625_140528[1].jpg

Props to you sir. This pic inspired me to fix my GPU sag with a simple fix:

59abda814b8e1_WhatsAppImage2017-09-03at12_30_53.jpeg.beebf0eee96d44e780dd512ef7068cfa.jpeg

59abda7f5f5cb_WhatsAppImage2017-09-03at12_30.53(1).jpeg.2c1f22768812c123a1ca7dbe5cfff721.jpeg

Chopped in half KFC straw xD Fits the theme with hints of red and everything!

• 3 months later...

Jay has a decent video on addressing this. I'd just prop it up, myself. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Jay has a decent video on addressing this. I'd just prop it up, myself. 

Uploading for convenience.

Those metal brackets from Amazon are actually pretty good. I just had one on my GTX 1070. I swapped it out for a V1 Tech support bracket though cause it just looks amazing. Check them out if you are looking for a well made and good looking support. www.v1tech.com

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+