Best Quiet LED fans 120mm?

ConfusedDolphin
http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/...1426#post51426

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-...-a-vs-cfm.html (click on names to add/remove them to and from the chart)

I own none. What other fans do you own? I typically find owners' anecdotal evidence to be the least reliable, because they lack context. If you own multiple alternatives, then that's nullified somewhat, but I've long lost count of the number of people who say "I own this and it's awesome!".

Initially you say they're "super silent", so not just noiseless, but more than noiseless. Perhaps they create a noise vacuum, even? Then you say "they are almost dead silent"...Oh. Well, I tend to find "dead silent" is pretty much the same as just plain "silent", but then if they're "almost silent", they're "not silent", which is a world away from "super silent". It's things like this that make recommending fans ever so hard...

Now, here's the thing that ensured this snarky response - you started "defending" something you own. All I said was that they weren't quiet and yet in your head you seem to have heard "weren't well built". I never commented on the build quality. You "LOL", you use hyperbole, you imply a lack of ownership would invalidate my comment, you get sarcastic and then you start defending it against claims that haven't been made. You even feel the need to post pictures, proving you own them. It all rather reeks of reactionary owners-bias, rather than logical disagreement.

If you think Spectre Pros are better than I give them credit for, give me evidence. I'd love to find out that they're better than I've been lead to believe, but simply saying "I OWN THEM AND THEY'RE AMAZING" isn't going to achieve that.

(Toby)So why did I change my mind? If it's impossible to know about something without owning it, why did I decide I might have been wrong? The answer to that is because people said that they were not loud ( The people that owned them said that) so you changed your mind on that internet graph. and the conclusion that they were loud fans. The sad thing about it is that the graph shows the fans at 36db's at full loud but really the fans only do 18.9db's at full loud and don't forget the fact that the graph shows 23.64cfm when they really do 56.22cfm and that is the (120mm) specs( none of the spectre pro fans hit more then 27.5db's and that is the 200mm spectre pro fan (only), I do understand that you corrected your self but if you wouldn't of gone off that graph and just owned them you would have known that 100% and now there is a graph that is 100% false on this OP'S thread. How right is that, That misleads anyone how wants to buy them now and reads this thread, but thankfully I spoke up and now if anyone reads our conversation they will know now to look into it them self's to decided whether the fan is right for them or not.

(Toby) And yeah, you kind of did dodge what I said. I still want to know who you think is more likely to be correct - Me telling someone they can get above 4.0GHz having read 10 owners on another forum say they've gotten 4.XGHz overclocks, or a person who owns it saying that 4.0GHz is impossible?. Why would you want to put your 2 cents into the thread anyways if 10 people already said that they could get 4.XGHz overclocks ( Those people own it so yes they would be correct) you would be putting your 2 cents into it because you just wanted to post just to post, just to get a post, not your true knowledge on the product because you really don't own the board, (that my friend is what we call a follower)

Now nobody say's you can't be a follower but the question you should be asking yourself (is it right for me to really be a follower or do I even want to be one)

You do what you do and I will do what I do.

If you give false info on products Toby be sure to know that if i know that it is false I will be commenting on or post every time.

I am for the people not for my self, I will not let people be mislead in anyway on this forum, It's not right and it should not happen.

and you shouldn't let it happen either, If you see something false on anyone's post and you do know for a fact 100% that you have the right answer, speak out, it only helps the community get the right advice for what they are looking for and that is what forums are all about.

Remember Toby it is nothing against you personally. Just make sure that when you give facts that you are right, That is all I would like to ask of you and I'm pretty sure the community feels the same way.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-...-a-vs-cfm.html (click on names to add/remove them to and from the chart)

I own none. What other fans do you own? I typically find owners' anecdotal evidence to be the least reliable, because they lack context. If you own multiple alternatives, then that's nullified somewhat, but I've long lost count of the number of people who say "I own this and it's awesome!".

Initially you say they're "super silent", so not just noiseless, but more than noiseless. Perhaps they create a noise vacuum, even? Then you say "they are almost dead silent"...Oh. Well, I tend to find "dead silent" is pretty much the same as just plain "silent", but then if they're "almost silent", they're "not silent", which is a world away from "super silent". It's things like this that make recommending fans ever so hard...

Now, here's the thing that ensured this snarky response - you started "defending" something you own. All I said was that they weren't quiet and yet in your head you seem to have heard "weren't well built". I never commented on the build quality. You "LOL", you use hyperbole, you imply a lack of ownership would invalidate my comment, you get sarcastic and then you start defending it against claims that haven't been made. You even feel the need to post pictures, proving you own them. It all rather reeks of reactionary owners-bias, rather than logical disagreement.

If you think Spectre Pros are better than I give them credit for, give me evidence. I'd love to find out that they're better than I've been lead to believe, but simply saying "I OWN THEM AND THEY'RE AMAZING" isn't going to achieve that.

No, it's not just because people who owned them said they were quiet. It's because I could hear for myself via soundclips that people have recorded of it. Granted, that may not give an entirely accurate impression and thus the reason I'm not saying Spectre Pros are good, but even with that inaccuracy taken into account, the fans being recorded obviously didn't qualify as "loud". In other words, I accrued more data. I knew I was wrong *because* I can know things without owning it.

Also, those stats you're reading off come straight from the BitFenix site...You aren't honestly going to tell me you believe the stats that any manufacturers put on their fans? You said yourself if I know 100% someone's wrong I should say so...This is that time. You've implied here that the stats companies give for their fans are reliable and that's just as wrong as anything I've said in this thread.

"Why would you want to put your 2 cents into the thread anyways if 10 people already said that they could get 4.XGHz overclocks"

I'm going to quote myself - "having read 10 owners on another forum". *Another* forum, as in an entirely different site. So again, if it's me as an aggregate of 10 owners results on *another* forum (i.e. on a *different* site) saying something different to one person who owns it, who's more likely to be right?

"Just make sure that when you give facts that you are right, That is all I would like to ask of you and I'm pretty sure the community feels the same way. "

Right back at you. ;)

Toby. I don't think reading 10 owner reviews is enough to give advice on a product. Good or Bad. Now if it were 100 reviews, it would have been a bit better, you can't really judge it off 10 reviews. If you don't TRULY know a product, opinions, not suggested facts are all that should be made. I agree with ericlee30 about many things. I don't even know what to say about that graph you put up, except that you should take it down.

You're slightly missing the point. It's a hypothetical that shows that owning the product doesn't necessarily mean anything. Use 100 instead of 10 if you like.

As for the chart, aside from the aforementioned Spectre Pro, everything looks pretty much as I'd expect it to be. The TrueQuiet and BlackSilent fans might be a little louder than I'd expect to see, but that's all. What do you find wrong with it?

I see that you don't get my point either. Owning the fans means a lot. The people have tried it, the people have spoken. BUT, what I was trying to tell you about the 10 people vs 100 is this, ex: you take a bag full of 100 marbles. 50 are black and 50 are red. Lets say that those 100 marbles account for everyone who has bought the product. Now you spill out only 5 of those marbles and they all happens to be red ones. BUT does that mean that ALL are red. No. You can base something off such little review. Well, you can, but it wouldn't be wise. Having owned a product is the BEST way to know about it (and I am not saying it's the only way) so reading reviews from people who have owned that product is more reliable that people who have just read about it. You don't want to mislead people.

"It's a hypothetical that shows that owning the product doesn't necessarily mean anything". ("having read 10 owners on another forum...") You seem to think it's important seeing how you are basing some of what you said on this quote." Just trying to understand where you are getting with that and I am a bit confused. Correct me if I am wrong (cause I might have read it wrong, seeing how I am not talking to you in person) but at first you seemed to be going off of the reviews of people who owned the product and then now you are saying it doesn't matter as much? It seems to me you are contradicting yourself.

No. No. No. No. No. No. You are spectacularly confused. Nothing you're saying has anything to do with anything that's been said so far, and it doesn't make sense, either.

You seem to be missing the context for what's been said so far, so I'll lay out the question I was asking Eric in full...

Lets say a thread exists on *this* forum where someone is asking whether or not an ASRock Extreme4 will overclock above 4.0GHz. Now, I visit forums other than this one, so lets say that between *those* forums I've seen 10 different people who all own the ASRock Extreme4 motherboard report overclocks between 4.1 and 5.0GHz, so I go to the thread on *this* forum and tell them it can overclock above 4.0GHz, but then someone who owns the ASRock Extreme4 on *this* forum comes along and says an overclock above 4.0GHz is impossible. Who is more likely to be right?

Whether or not the testimonies of 10 people is enough to draw a valid conclusion is irrelevant to the point of the hypothetical, it's just a number plucked out of the air because it's a number higher than 1. Use your marble analogy if you like. If an Extreme4 owner pulls a single red marble out the bag and I see 10 people have pulled out black marbles, what colour are the majority of the marbles in the bag more likely to be?

The obvious answer is the 10 people. It doesn't have to be 10 people, it could be 100 people, it could be 1000 people. The point is, even though I don't own the product, I'm relaying the results of multiple people who do. Even though I don't own the product, I'm more likely to be right, because the guy who owns it and says it's impossible is effectively arguing against 10 other people who own the product.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'd definitely be right in this hypothetical situation, all I'm saying is that it's more likely.

So no, owning the product means nothing in regards to giving advice to others, because you're but a single marble. Information is what matters, because information is marbles. Information, is marbles.

Thank fuck I'm not wrong very often, I have trouble moving this slowly...

What does this have to do with fans? This isn't about motherboards. Keep on track if you are going to try and make a point with me. You are telling me I have no valid point but can't keep what your saying straight and on track. Looks to me your the one moving slowly not me.

"No. No. No. No. No. No" Mature.

You contradicted yourself again by the way, "The point is, even though I don't own the product, I'm relaying the results of multiple people who do." and then you say: "So no, owning the product means nothing in regards to giving advice to others" -Aren't you basing your advice off people who do own one, and isn't it important for the people who do own the fans to give there feedback? Make up your mind. (So if I never owned this fan, I am able to tell other people that the fan is crappy, or loud, etc.. based off of only ten reviews out of the hundreds of people that bought the fans? That's wise.)

What I am trying to say is that with the few amount of people's advice that you read, you can't give a definite answer, just an opinion. "I'm not saying I'd definitely be right in this hypothetical situation, all I'm saying is that it's more likely." you even said it yourself basically that you can't really give a definite answer. And I am neither saying you are right or wrong. Because unless we get ALL of the people who own the fans and get there experience and advice we cannot for sure know the answer, especially from only 10 people's reviews.

"What does this have to do with fans? This isn't about motherboards. Keep on track if you are going to try and make a point with me. You are telling me I have no valid point but can't keep what your saying straight and on track. Looks to me your the one moving slowly not me."

Oh dear god, what are you saying?! I specifically said it was a point I was making to Eric, not you. You replied to it and you didn't seem to understand the context, so I filled you in. If you don't understand why I'm using motherboards, as an example, go back and read the conversation. It was Eric who brought them up, not me. The 10 owner reviews thing that nearly the entirety of your first comment replied to? That came from a hypothetical situation about motherboards in #1.2. Nothing to do with the fan aspect of this conversation and everything to do with Eric thinking people who don't own things can't know anything about them.

"Mature."

Sorry, it was my vocalization of slamming my head against a brick wall.

"You contradicted yourself again by the way, "The point is, even though I don't own the product, I'm relaying the results of multiple people who do." and then you say: "So no, owning the product means nothing in regards to giving advice to others" -Aren't you basing your advice off people who do own one, and isn't it important for the people who do own the fans to give there feedback? Make up your mind. (So if I never owned this fan, I am able to tell other people that the fan is crappy, or loud, etc.. based off of only ten reviews out of the hundreds of people that bought the fans? That's wise.)"

Can I have Eric back? English clearly wasn't his first language, but at least he could follow what I was saying.

Again, you're completely ignoring context. You're ignoring the context of the conversation and you're ignoring the context I said those things in. You're also applying the hypothetical from earlier in a place it doesn't belong. There's no contradiction if you don't take those quotes out of context, because the conversation is about the ability of someone who doesn't own something to know something about it and having just as valid an opinion on it as someone who owns it. One person saying something about something they own means nothing by itself, especially if they don't own alternatives (and thus lack context). It's the amalgamation of information that's meaningful.

To think, all I am trying to say is: If you haven't owned it, experienced it, or seen/heard it in person, that you shouldn't spit out "facts" about it. It's just not right and logical for someone who hasn't experienced the product, hands on, to give a comment and I quote "Spectre Pros are pretty loud." I don't think eric nor I were really trying to debate I think we both feel that it's wrong for someone to give out "facts" if they haven't experienced it.

Everyone has a right to voice there opinion, Just like everyone has a right to disagree with what someone has said. I pity the people who read your "facts", because in my OPINION I think that the fans are great fans (and yes I own 3 Spectre Pro red led fans and they are 120mm, and like eric said "very silent to a whisper" ) and I would recommend them to others and THAT is my review. :)

Okay, so you've ignored everything I've said and just gone..."But see, you were wrong this time! You can't know anything about anything!"

You can feel what you like. You're wrong. It's all marbles, remember?

You sound like an idiot, and it's "You don't know anything about anything!" not you can't, you talk about me not knowing English. You just want to be Mr. Right and nothing anyone says is going to change your mind, you will ignore what everyone has said or how they feel because what you say is absolutely right, right? I addressed the issue we were "discussing" over and that's it, I don't need to comment on comments that are irrelevant or have been repeated. Good day and good ridden.

It can be either and I didn't say you didn't know English, I said it wasn't Eric's first language. If I want to be Mr. Right, then how come I'm the only one in this thread who's admitted to being wrong at all? Whenever I've pinned either of you down on a point you just avoid addressing it and plow on...and I'm the one who wants to be Mr. Right? Okay then.

Edit: Also notice that I'm the only one who hasn't thrown any personal insults and yet you call *me* immature. Hmmm...

• 3 weeks later...

I remember someone recommending Yate Loons, but never had them myself.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

GO WITH THE 140MM

[h=1]Xigmatek CLF-F1452 Crystal 140mm LED Fan VERY QUIET FANS 1000RPM[/h]