Non Modular or Semi?

reapersivan

Last week I found a great modular PSU, turns out I was too late. I was for sale for 50USD but then went up to 80$. I only need around 100$ left for my build or so because I just need a hyper 212 evo and a Power Supply. Should I bother waiting for a great deal at Fry's or Micro Center or just buy a non-modular PSU? I wanted a modular one but I do not have much money to work with at the moment. I have seen the EVGA 500B which looks great but is non-modular. Semi or Full Modular PSUs cost around 80$ or up. Therefore, if I find a cheap Semi modular PSU, is it even worth paying a few more dollars over a non-modular version, or should I stick to non-modular?

any modularity is worth it also check for used PSU's in your area

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Semi, I've got a Corsair CX600M in my rig (semi modular) and have used non-modular power supplies in the past, you will be thankful that you don't have all those extra damn cables attached to your PSU when you try doing some cable management.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'd go with a semi modular PSU

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

In a performance standpoint, you will get, in the ABSOLUTE worst outcome, get like 1-2 more FPS from semi compared to non-modular. Its almost purely aesthetics. (It may affect airflow slightly, which leads to the 1-2 FPS)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

In a performance standpoint, you will get, in the ABSOLUTE worst outcome, get like 1-2 more FPS from semi compared to non-modular. Its almost purely aesthetics. (It may affect airflow slightly, which leads to the 1-2 FPS)

Why is this the best post I have seen this month!? (Yes I know today is the 2nd day of March)

Last week I found a great modular PSU, turns out I was too late. I was for sale for 50USD but then went up to 80$. I only need around 100$ left for my build or so because I just need a hyper 212 evo and a Power Supply. Should I bother waiting for a great deal at Fry's or Micro Center or just buy a non-modular PSU? I wanted a modular one but I do not have much money to work with at the moment. I have seen the EVGA 500B which looks great but is non-modular. Semi or Full Modular PSUs cost around 80$ or up. Therefore, if I find a cheap Semi modular PSU, is it even worth paying a few more dollars over a non-modular version, or should I stick to non-modular?

I use both. Generally, I go with EVGA's basic 430W and 500W non-modular PSU's. Then again, I'm not bad with cable management.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

any modularity is worth it also check for used PSU's in your area

I would do Craiglist but I am kinda afraid since I have heard that many people in my area get mugged or scammed. I have also heard that other people have pulled out weapons. Maybe my Dad's M1911 Airsoft could come in handy?

I would do Craiglist but I am kinda afraid since I have heard that many people in my area get mugged or scammed. I have also heard that other people have pulled out weapons. Maybe my Dad's M1911 Airsoft could come in handy?

#gunlawsFTW

just make sure you meet in a open and public place

personally I go and pick stuff up at peoples places and have seen many intrested things like shark tanks (reef sharks) and LN2 cooling systems

then again im not in that hellole called the USA

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I always try to get at least a semi-modular. I don't see the need to have the 24-pin and the 8-pin cpu connectors modular. They are going to be installed for sure anyways, so may as well keep them on to save cost a little. (Yes, I know fully custom sleeved cables are a thing, but if you aren't doing that, full modular makes no practical sense to me.)

well, where do you live?

Depends what case. Some cases like NZXT S340 and H440 have PSU shield, so modular or not it looks the same from the outside.

"Rawr XD"

Power supply modularity has zero effect on performance.

"Rawr XD"

Power supply modularity has zero effect on performance.

it will in the absolute worst scenario in which the cables affect the temperatures to the extent that it will thermal throttle.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Does semi modular have the cables you can remove, or are they also like a non modular set up, with fewer cables and no hole to insert cables?

Does semi modular have the cables you can remove, or are they also like a non modular set up, with fewer cables and no hole to insert cables?

semi modular means some cables can be removed only the essentials that you will always need are soldered on

semi modular power supplies come with CPU and MB power cables connected, and comes with all the cables that would come in a normal power supply seperate. You can usually connect about 4 of them into the power supply.

i was just looking too, for another member, prices are crazy high right now! i hope this helps. what watts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153199

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182322

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

more watts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182322

all should be mod or semi glhf

I know for sure that those 2 are not semi modular. No cables can be removed. I have seen this mistake since last year on their Ads. I'll probably go for the Corsair 500w one since it's for 65$

post-160310-0-98275500-1425352871_thumb.

post-160310-0-98275500-1425352871_thumb.

i was just looking too, for another member, prices are crazy high right now! i hope this helps. what watts?

I do not shop for electronics online. I am actually just wanting to find a great deal at Fry's or Micro Center. 

Being a Mod is just a feature. I would go with a semi over a full if the psu was of better quality. That said, there's things to look for. Is there stress relief for the fixed cables coming out of the psu. Point in their favour. Single colour vs. the multi coloured crap. Cable length. What cables are not semi? Some like Corsair only do the m/bd cables but others include a basic pkg with a pci and sata as part of fixed set. I don't like those. And while this is a beneficial feature, you are on a budget. If there's a better non-Mod that's fits your budget, grab that one. A Seasonic based psu with all Jap caps that's non-Mod would be a better buy than some cheap Chinese psu that's fully Mod.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

it will in the absolute worst scenario in which the cables affect the temperatures to the extent that it will thermal throttle.

OP has the Enermax Ostrog Eca3253. In no way in that case will the cables ever be the cause of thermal throttling.

"Rawr XD"