Two wireless routers, two wireless network names

KiecTigrc

Hello,

I am trying to setup a network which would have two different wireless network names. One wireless network would be setup with the main modem/router (TP-LINK TD-W8951ND) and should be without any passwords. The other router (Netgear with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port) would be setup with a password, but in a different location. I have connected the two routers with an ethernet cable (LAN to LAN port) and disabled DHCP on the Netgear router. Here is where I am stuck. Do I plug the ethernet cable from the TP-LINK modem/router LAN port to the LAN or WAN port on the Netgear and what would the settings be for both of them? TP-LINK's IP is 192.168.1.1, Netgears - 192.168.1.2, but I am unable to connect to 192.168.1.1 with either of the wireless connections. What would be the best way to configure my setup?

Thanks,

KiecTigrc

Change the Netgears IP address to 192.168.2.1 (the IP address you use to log into the router), and connect them LAN to LAN, in fact everything you have done is correct just the Netgears IP address needs changing before you connect them

They will need to be on different networks if you want both of them to act as routers.

You want to have static IPs on both routers (I recommend 192.168.1.1 on one of them and then 192.168.2.1 on the other), and DHCP enabled on both. If both act as routers, then you are going to need a routing protocol, static routes or gateway of last resort configured.

It would be easier for you if you could disable the routing part of the Netgear router, and have it act as a simple switch. You can still have it broadcast a unique SSID and all that, but it as well as users connecting to it, will be on the same network as the people on the other router.

Ok, thanks for the help! Much appreciated. I am going to try that right now and tell you exactly what I did, and if it works.

Just reporting back. I changed the setting from Gateway to Router on the Linksys WRT54GC (I'm sorry, I thought it was a Netgear). I changed the IP address of the Linksys router to 192.168.1.3 and I turned both routers off, then on and all worked fine since. Thanks for the help!