Nvidia "Revolutionary Platform" is Supposedly VR Goggles

patrickjp93

http://vrfocus.com/archives/11915/nvidia-reveal-new-vr-hmd-gdc-2015/

The article only goes on to say the demo will be at GDC. WCCF and others are speculating we'll see the chip inside be of the small-volume 16nm/14nm Denver Tegra chips made by TSMC before Nvidia moved to Samsung or by Samsung shortly after that event. While I expect this to have a 20% price premium over Oculus Rift, it's still good to see one of the titans of graphics giving VR a fair shake and making a competitive product.

The purported name is Titan VR.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Until Nvidia reveals it themselves, I think this should be labeled a rumor.

ah c'mon thats lame, but hey maybe they got it figured out since they are the source where the signal comes from

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Yes!!!!  :D  :D

I can finally watch Por* and be fully immersed. :P

srs/ this sounds very promising.

Until Nvidia reveals it themselves, I think this should be labeled a rumor.

Eh, it's hugely likely. Even Nvidia couldn't easily sell an Android console as a groundbreaking improvement in gaming media, and the Shield's been done.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Eh, it's hugely likely. Even Nvidia couldn't easily sell an Android console as a groundbreaking improvement in gaming media, and the Shield's been done.

I know but there's still a possibility that it's something else.

Titan VR? huh.

inb4 new Titan as well. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Thought it couldn't be worst than another useless tablet: I was wrong

Not a fan of VR obviously lol

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

why is this a revolution of gaming? ummm oculus rift exists already

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Titan VR? huh.

inb4 new Titan as well. 

Titan VR

1 eye + 1 eye = 3 eyes. 

Half Life 3 confirmed. 

/s 

If it really is VR, that could be cool with them integrating it into their Shield products. Not entirely useless. Pretty useful if done right. 

Clash of Clans in VR. Shits just getting too intense with VR these days. 

Titan VR

1 eye + 1 eye = 3 eyes. 

Half Life 3 confirmed. 

/s 

Half life 3 was already confirmed.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/18546/valve-is-teasing-half-life-3-announcement-at-gdc-2015.html

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

why is this a revolution of gaming? ummm oculus rift exists already

Nvidia claimed the Tegra K1 platform was a super computer, or something like that, so there's no telling what they're actually revealing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was their own VR thing, but there's other things it could be knowing how overhyped Nvidia makes some things.

Titan VR

1 eye + 1 eye = 3 eyes. 

Half Life 3 confirmed. 

/s 

Nvidia vr goggles,  they actually only have 1.5 screens , the last .5 of screen is really only slightly faster than an etchesketch. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Does anyone remember the Nvidia depth of field display they showed off 2 or so years ago. It would be cool if they had that tech in their VR headset. I think if Nvidia was doing this they would have a better chance than anyone to do it properly.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

having recently acquired a Colorcross on amazon for 25 bucks, and messing around with triDef 3D and VR Streamer with my phone, I can honestly say the more legit VR headsets to choose from, the better. Anyone that has experienced side-by-side VR will say the same.

having said that, do I think Nvidia will have their own headset? technically it wouldn't be a big feat, as many cheap empty VR headsets exist, and all they would need is a Tegra based screen/phone and a proper connection to the graphic card. Personally, I am waiting for Valves announcement for VR (check your steam game folder, SteamVR is there already lol). Nvidia is all about proprietary nonsense, which VR does not need.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

GTX 900 series, G-sync, V-sync and VR-Sync compatible!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Id say complete rumor. Why would they invite occulus to the event to show off their own br goggles?

Id say complete rumor. Why would they invite occulus to the event to show off their own br goggles?

gloating. For all people's complaints about Nvidia and being proprietary, riddle me this: why is it proprietary software tends to run so much better than open-source counterparts and be better supported? It's because real life programmers are being paid to put out the absolute best and compete with each other. Open Source is very, very slow. Also, Nvidia has a ton of money to put into the design and implementation beyond the programming.

It would do everyone some good to look and see what massive failures most open source software has come to manifest as. Linux still doesn't have a great desktop distro (I've tried Mint, and it's okay, but still all of the distros seem to vehemently dislike a computer with tri-channel memory). SteamOS is STILL going nowhere fast. AMD's open-source graphics drivers STILL suck compared to both its and Nvidia's proprietary, and Nvidia seems hell-bent on punishing anyone with 500-series and previous cards when it comes to proprietary Linux drivers.

OpenSSL STILL has enormous security problems announced year after year too.

Can anyone here actually name an open-source software other than VLC Player which is a true raving success on the consumer front? Open-Source solutions very often have glaring flaws that can't be solved because the community cannot agree. Proprietary software has an advantage in development of being managed top-down when it comes to critical design decisions, meaning work gets done much more quickly, and even if the wrong decision was made, the recovery time still outpaces open-source speeds.

No open source compiler seems to be able to compete on even footing against the proprietary compilers managed by proprietary tech giants like Intel and even Oracle.

Don't get me wrong, collaborative open-source programming helps everyone get better at it, but software built through it is often outdated and defunct by the time it's complete. Windows 10 is coming with 8 having been out for only 2 years, and Ubuntu Phone is just now coming out after 5 years of development despite having a huge open-source base to call from. I'm sorry, but the proof lies around you everywhere. Proprietary may not be great for your wallets, but good programmers and tech designers deserve to be paid for the products they make if they are demanded by the market. No amount of Richard Stalman feet stamping will erase that fact. Patent and trademark laws last WAY too long when it comes to programming, but for all the people who complain about Nvidia investing in proprietary standards, get lost and go actually make this stuff yourself. Your complaints mean absolutely nothing. If you can do better and make it open, then go do it.

</rant>

Maybe it's like an official partnership: oculus rift powered by Nvidia Tegra

-------

Current Rig

-------