Game Requirements / Turbo Boost Technology

Off

Hi everyone!

When a company release the system requirements for a specific game, they indicate a CPU.
For example, a minimum requirement CPU is Core i5-2500 3.3GHz , which the max turbo frequency  is 3.7 GHz. 

My question is, they only consider  the Processor Base Frequency or they also consider the expected Turbo Frequency of the CPU ?

I googled to try to find the answer, but i couldn't find an accurate result/answer to this specific question.
If anyone knows, please enlighten me. Thanks.

Don't worry about the exact spec recommendations given. 

What game/s do you want to play? and what gpu do you have? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm asking, because my cpu is i5-750.

Processor Base Frequency -  2.66 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency -  3.2 GHz

I don't have a gpu that support the game, which is "Dying Light" . It's a radeon 4670.
But that made me think and curious.

I don't have a gpu that support the game, which is "Dying Light" . It's a radeon 4670.

Dying Light wont play very well on your set up. What resolution do you play on?

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Dying Light wont play very well on your set up. What resolution do you play on?

It's not able to start the game.

But my curiosity resides in the CPU... When they set the minimum requirements, they only base on the CPU Base Frequency or they also consider the expected Turbo Frequency ?

But my curiosity resides in the CPU... When they set the minimum requirements, they only base on the CPU Base Frequency or they also consider the expected Turbo Frequency ?

It is a bit of a mystery how they decide what to list for requirements.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

It is a bit of a mystery how they decide what to list for requirements.

I thought that was an interesting question, well at least it made me curiosy.

And i also checked the recommended requirements beside the minimum requirements. They have a similar gap between the base and the turbo.

Of course, i just checked the Dying LIght game. To have more information to reach a conclusion, the ideal would also check the other games.

If I want to overclock my i5-750 that "ambiguity" could lead two possible scenarios: achieve the indicated base frequency or achieve the expected turbo frequency.

But thank you for your feedback.  :) 

I think its your GPU preventing you to sttart if you have the 512MB version it might not even run on low when i was running dying light it used all my 3GB of VRam and read online that it will almost always use all the Vram it can So even if you had a better CPU the game would not lunch.

and for the requirements don't even bother looking at them as they don;t really test well to see if games runs well. if you want to know if a game will run just go on youtube and try to find someone wiith your GPU testing the game.

Needs Update

I thought that was an interesting question, well at least it made me curiosy.

And i also checked the recommended requirements beside the minimum requirements. They have a similar gap between the base and the turbo.

Of course, i just checked the Dying LIght game. To have more information to reach a conclusion, the ideal would also check the other games.

If I want to overclock my i5-750 that "ambiguity" could lead two possible scenarios: achieve the indicated base frequency or achieve the expected turbo frequency.

But thank you for your feedback.  :) 

The thing is, those recommendations don't really make sense as many of them will include something like Intel i5/i7 3570 or greater, or an FX8320 or greater. Now, it doesn't really make sense since the two CPUs don't yield even similar results in that particular game. Basically....requirements are meaningless; and a game won't not start because your clock speed is too low. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thank you all for your feedback.

The thing is, overclocking will not make the game start

the minimum settings aren't a check in game code, its not as if an i5 3750k underclocked won't start games that ask for a 3.4ghz

the only thing that stops games from starting is hardware incompatibility, like if a game only runs in DX11 and your GPU supports DX9

i could set my 3570 to 1.0ghz and it would still run my games, just not well

The i5 750 to i5 2500k was a massive jump in performance,overclocking won't cover that increase

Ill try to make this a bit simpler

Minimums are very vague, a slower CPU will sometimes work fine: The exact clock speed is not important, your GPU is the problem

Heres a 750 playing the game with a R7 250X (HD 7770)

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

dying light recommends a 2500k core i5 minimum. i have a core i5 2500k and i was able to max the game out at 1440p and even play it at 4k medium settings with no overlock on my cpu. 

take the requirements with a pinch of salt with most games.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb