Intel vs AMD Stock CPU Coolers

As terrible as they are, it's never a bad idea to have one laying around in the event that you do need temporary cooling from one.

I completely agree. I'm currently installing hard tubing into my watercooling loop and when I'm done with cutting, bending and polishing for an evening, I can still get my PC running for the rest of the evening.

Charlie

After market coolers . Max $50 USA for AIR and $90 for Closed loop Water cooled. Personally I would use water cooled for longer life or major Overclocking.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Price to performance aftermarket CPU cooler has to be the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  Or if you can find a Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 for $30.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The 2011 samples we get don't come with a cooler, which is why we weren't able to include any other variants of Intel cooler.

Thanks for the quick and prompt reply!

If you want some from 775 though haswell just let me know I can dig some up. ;) Im pretty sure the K sku 1156 has the best ones that would fit a modern chip but even the 1155 ones were a great deal beefier (thicker heasink and better fan) than the ones included today. However the AMD ones havent changed since neither have the CPUs :P

I however dont have either of the 2011 ones but I did have the one that is a bigger variant of the consumer one which came with a xeon. Here is a link to it separately on newegg http://goo.gl/Dpp9vH. Also the AMD AIO one came with the FX 9000 series CPUs but that would kinda kill the comparison. Im pretty sure that it was the same as the intel 2011 one

Note: The reason why I mentioned the K sku parts was they they are the only ones to come with the copper core, the rest are solid aluminum.

Addition: Also there was no need to really ghetto mount the AMD coolers on Intel. There are many aftermarket coolers mostly older (1156 and 1155 era) that were actually AMD mount native and provided a backplate and mount to convert AMD boards to Intel. I would be rather surprised if LMG didn't have at least one of these floating around. This was back when AMD was still competitive and it was cheaper for manufacturers to do that if they wanted compatibility for bothe platforms at the least cost.

Just grab a 212 EVO and you'll be fine. You really shouldn't spend more than that unless you are going all out or have notoriously hot CPUs (cough 9590 cough)

Part of the Q6600 club

I bought a raijintek themis for under 25$ shipped, haven't owned a 212 evo but it's supposed to perform similarly. Needless to say I'm very satifird for the price I paid.

I would like to see how much is should pay. My upcoming pc doesnt have a cpu cooler due too budgets and i would like to see how much i should pay.

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I'm pretty much with everyone else, When you can get a 212 for under 30, or a TX3 for under 25.  Theres not much reason to use stock coolers unless absolutely necessary 

Luke said "Stay Subscribed"... is that a thing? Do you get people that constantly unsubscribe and resubscribe a lot?    ;)

I was expecting the intel cooler to do terribly on the AMD CPU, and the AMD cooler to do terribly on the intel CPU, due to how hacked together the mounting solution was. I'm surprised the coolers maintain a consistent ranking, despite the mounting problems.

Still, I don't see the point of this video. Luke prefixes his tests with "if you have the option, which (heatsink) should you choose", but the amount of extra work it takes to get a stock heatsink onto a mismatched CPU makes it a really unattractive choice. ...and even if you didn't find it -that- unattractive, you would almost certainly have a better choice - use the heatsink that came with your CPU, since it has the correct mounting hardware. ...and if you have a CPU that doesn't come with a heatsink, you shouldn't be using any of the stock coolers anyway. >.>

Would love to see a price/performance check for aftermarket cooling.

Maybe

stock

vs. low end air cooler

vs. higher end air cooler

vs. low end aio water cooler

when you consider silence as a part of performance I would say aftermarket coolers are worth it

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Now we just need people saying that the Intel stock one is the best, because you can OC a Pentium up yi 4.2 with it :lol:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

"Click to learn more now"

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Ok, major flaw that I see in this video is that fanspeed isn't standardized or included. 

That doesn't make any difference, the cooler should do that automatically. Further testing the coolers, not just the heatsinks.

It would likely get the same result anyway ;)

CPU: Intel Core I5 4590 | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC | Mobo: ASRock Fatality H97 Performance | Ram: HyperX Fury 8gb 1866 | SSD: Intel 520 series 240 GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Aerocool DS 200 red/black | Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X | PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620w | Monitor: AOC i2367fh & old HP | OS: Windowws 7

I hate my FX-8350 stock cooler!

It is louder than my electric fan and aircon.

Hey Luke, do the video about investing on an aftermarket cooler (Early 2015).  :)

I need this right now!

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

-double post- 

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

:)

I think those who can't afford after market CPU coolers, should go with as we say "PRICE TO PERFORMANCE" CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Best replacement for stock cooler and does awesome job.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Yup do an evaluation of after market coolers. I wouldn't really focus though on people that don't OC at all, since after market coolers are just more quiet in that case, and I guess that most people watching this channel do OC, even a little.

Luke, your wrapup is wrong and here is why:

The AMD fx Stock fan (the one with the heatpipes) has a BIG BIG issue; The stock fan on the stock cooler has a diode in it, which controls speeds indepentant of the pwm or voltage regulated by the Mobo. Thus if you boot up the system, 25% speed is 600RPM and 100% is 3500.

But if the diode reports high tempreatures 25% is 2500 and 1000% somewhere around 7000rpm. (which is loud as crap btw)

So, me being a naive quite system enthusiast, setup a fan curve for the stock cooler, after testing it for some time. 40% seemed like fast enough to cool it on load. Guess what, reboot a day later, start gaming and the fan runs at only 1000RPM, while the CPU cooks at 80ish degrees.

SO, DO NOT USE IT, its INCOMPATIBLE with many setups and will completely destroy ANY consistency you might expect.

I run my AMD fx-8350 on an H212 on 4,7ghz 24/7, whisper quite on idle, so aftermarket is still the goto for any reasonable build. (ps: i kinda won the silicon lottery)