What color is this dress?

unperfect paul

I dont get it how some people (except for the colourblinds) can see a black and blue dress

In original the dress is probablly white and gold but because of the crappy image it got a shade of blue and the gold got to brown on the lower part. Now pls staph interwebz U being annoying today

What does this color pallet show you? And by the way, the dress is Black and Blue, the designer's web page can back that up if you dont believe me.

Yes, I'm overly serious.

PS: I don't use sarcasm, ever, when typing.

I'm going to ruin the fun:

N0lJSTT.png

czMVfyd.png

Its clearly a shade of blue and a shade of brownish/black. Anyone who sees otherwise most likely: has an uncalibrated or crappy monitor that sucks in color reproduction,  colorblind, or they are trolling.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I voted other, and my response is 

angry-no-l.png

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I personally see White and Gold, but that's looking at it from a monitor with overexposure from the terrible camera quality. If everyone were to see it in person then they would all say it is black & blue.  

Anyone know if it also has something to do with the contrast of your monitor?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

THE DRESS IS BLACK AND BLUE

If you see it as white and gold then it's because your brain is messing it up by assuming the lighting in the room is blue (it is actually yellow). This people, is why it's important to adjust your white balance (either when taking the photo or in post).
Here is my attempt to set the white balance properly (hard to do with just the JPEG). As you can see by the bag next to the dress, it is now the correct black and white color (instead of poop brown and piss yellow).
post-216-0-61065900-1425086274_thumb.jpg

"Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There's rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The "cones" see color. The "rods" see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren't responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white).

There's three cones: small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.

As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it's called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until its black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors the eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina's cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don't work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold."

Source: Business Insider

Conclusion: if you say it is white and gold, then you're wrong. You might see it as white and gold, but that's because your monitor is bad, your eyes are bad, or you are not in a good location to judge colors accurately. The dress itself is black and blue, no matter what you see it as.

Side note: I see it as black and blue even though I had no prior knowledge to the actual color. My friend showed me the picture just a few hours ago and I had not heard about this at all before he showed it to me. So no, this is not a case of "the only people saying black and blue only say it because they knew the answer". This is a case of "the way our brain interpret things differs from person to person".

post-216-0-61065900-1425086274_thumb.jpg

The original picture actually did something rare & hard to do. This has a chance of helping researchers develop new things for the seeing impaired. It really messes with our eyes when we look at it to perceive the yellow/blue colors

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

THE DRESS IS BLACK AND BLUE

That one looks blue/black to me, the original looks white/gold if I was there it would be blue/black.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

People dying in africa of starvation and hunger .

We havent figured out the big questions of life like whats the meaning of life and what happens after death.

But the color of the dress , thats really important for the advancement of the human species.

What an important metaphysical question.

Come on guys this is a case study first world problem.

Things like this make me disappointed in being a part of humanity Q_Q.

I don't give two shits.

I have only one thing to say about this dress:

Would look better on my bedroom floor

That is all.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Blue smothered in shit. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

People dying in africa of starvation and hunger .

We havent figured out the big questions of life like whats the meaning of life and what happens after death.

But the color of the dress , thats really important for the advancement of the human species.

What an important metaphysical question.

Come on guys this is a case study first world problem.

Things like this make me disappointed in being a part of humanity Q_Q.

I don't give two shits.

Look up "Fallacy of relative privation".

How our eyes and brains perceive color is an interesting topic. I think we should be allowed to discuss it without people shouting "people are starving in Africa so you shouldn't spend your time learning about human vision!". Also, you clearly gave enough to comment on it. =)

Look up "Fallacy of relative privation".

How our eyes and brains perceive color is an interesting topic. I think we should be allowed to discuss it without people shouting "people are starving in Africa so you shouldn't spend your time learning about human vision!". Also, you clearly gave enough to comment on it. =)

Yes I know the fallacy of relative privation.

I still think this trend is stupid and a waste of time , and that's my prerogative.

You can disagree with my opinion if you want , that's why its called a personal opinion.

It's both.
One time I see it as Gold and White and another time I see it as Blue and Black... with the same picture and even in the same video.

I blame the bad camera that was used for this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I am already so fucking tired of this hype, it literally makes me pissed off.

So many things I could write here... things like this.