New modem/router for Comcast

TheYonderGod
Go to solution Solved by Omnificent,

No matter what you buy you'll save your money back quickly. I'd determine whether the modem you are using nowis docsis 2 or three. Then buy one used for less money. Motorola surfboards are like 25 dollars. Then buy a good n router and either another router to bridge to in your room or a range extender.

I'd offer more specific buy am laying in bed on my phone

So I've been thinking about getting a new modem/router lately to hopefully improve my connection in games, and I found out we're paying a monthly fee to rent the modem and router from Comcast. I'm currently running an extremely "wonky" setup... Modem and router are in my parents room across the house, I have a 100ft Ethernet cable going to my room into a super cheap $5-10 switch, which is then plugged into my mine and my brother's computers. 

So I want to kill a few birds with one stone:

-Get rid of the monthly rental fee

-Upgrade modem/router

-Move it into my room so I get a direct connection to it (parents will get the 100ft cable+switch since it wont matter to them)

My budget is somewhere around $100 if I have to pay that much but I'd rather it be cheaper

I do need wireless but it isn't very important, just for cell phones and occasional laptop use, so no worries if it isn't very fast

I also need to get a new coax cable to go to my room, is there anything special I need to look for? The Comcast guy installed a cable that goes all the way around the house then through the wall, I think I'll just go into the attic and then down through the ceiling to my closet.

Anything else you need to know to make a recommendation just ask. Thanks.

My Rig: CPU: 3570k@4.4Ghz | GPU: XFX r9 270x | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133 | Cooler: Hyper 212+

PSU: OCZ 700w | Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z | Headphones: AD700 | Case: NZXT M59 | Monitor: 144hz 1080p

No matter what you buy you'll save your money back quickly. I'd determine whether the modem you are using nowis docsis 2 or three. Then buy one used for less money. Motorola surfboards are like 25 dollars. Then buy a good n router and either another router to bridge to in your room or a range extender.

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

Range extender would need to have ports or else you can do one router and wireless usb or pci dongles for your brothers and your pc

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

It's Docsis 3. The cheapest Docsis 3 Motorola surfboard I can find is the SB6121 for $68, and I can't find a used one for very much cheaper, did you mean the docsis 2 ones are like $25?

Can I get a good router for around $25? Remember I don't really care about wireless (I need it, but it doesn't need to be fast)

I actually might be able to get a kind old netgear router for free, I'll check what model it is later, should I just use that?

My Rig: CPU: 3570k@4.4Ghz | GPU: XFX r9 270x | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133 | Cooler: Hyper 212+

PSU: OCZ 700w | Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z | Headphones: AD700 | Case: NZXT M59 | Monitor: 144hz 1080p

It's Docsis 3. The cheapest Docsis 3 Motorola surfboard I can find is the SB6121 for $68, and I can't find a used one for very much cheaper, did you mean the docsis 2 ones are like $25?

Can I get a good router for around $25? Remember I don't really care about wireless (I need it, but it doesn't need to be fast)

I actually might be able to get a kind old netgear router for free, I'll check what model it is later, should I just use that?

Yeah I meant the docsis 2 ones are 25. I would start with that router and see what the performance is like. If it is unsatisfactory then you can look an other options.