Russian space agency endorses ISS until 2024, then it will leave (and take their modules with them)

Victorious Secret

International_Space_Station_after_undock

Looks like Russia, under all the sanctions they've had placed on them lately plus with the general "Russia, we're tired of your shit" attitude the world seems to have, will leave the ISS after 2024 and take their balls home with them. I meant modules. Or balls. Depends on where Russia gets their manhood from...

Russia wants to start up their own station and by 2030 run their own lunar projects as well, this could signal the start of yet another space race because I doubt the USA is going to sit by while Russia goes and does awesome space stuff on their own. Or they will, who knows. With the issues at home, it seems awfully hard to convince the public that the Government should blow billions on space ventures when they can't even keep domestic affairs in order. 

Russia plans to stay part of the International Space Station partnership until 2024, then undock its modules to create a standalone base in orbit, the Russian space agency announced Tuesday.

A statement posted to the Russian space agency’s website said a meeting of the Roscosmos science and technical council considered Russia’s future human spaceflight plans, favoring the continued use of the International Space Station until 2024.

Then Russia plans to remove its modules from the International Space Station to form an all-Russian complex in orbit. The statement said “a configuration of a multi-purpose laboratory module, a (docking) node module, and a scientific power module creates a promising Russian space station to meet the challenges of providing secure access to space (for Russia).”

The laboratory module, docking system and scientific power platform Russia intends to use for its follow-on space station are set for launch to the ISS over the next few years after lengthy delays due to funding woes and technical problems. The statement did not discuss the fate of the oldest Russian components of the International Space Station — the Zvezda service module, the Zarya storage compartment, and smaller docking ports. Most of the older Russian modules will have spent more than 20 years in orbit by 2024, well beyond their original design lifetimes.

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/02/24/russian-space-agency-endorses-iss-until-2024/

Wow that thing looks awsome!

Love Space related stuff  :)

Love Russia <3

Considering the general idiocy of most people concerning space exploration, and our own government's complete and total idiocy on everything:

Russia has already won this new "space race"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Considering the general idiocy of most people concerning space exploration, and our own government's complete and total idiocy on everything:

Russia has already won this new "space race"

Sonc_the_hedgehog_by_0nyxheart-d38eo59.p

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I thought a lot of the modules on the ISS were Russian made?

I was under the impression that the Russians were making most of the modules and the US was the ones doing most of the shipping up to the ISS.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Space races are definitely good for technological progression and indirectly solving world problems.

Every topic I post in dies.

With appearance of communism party in russia I think we will see CCCP v2 and maybe an another space race. The outcome will only be negative to Russia itself so it really does not matter. They do their business and the rest of the world can work together.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Wasn't the ISS meant to be EOL around 2020 and then burned in the atmosphere?

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Wasn't the ISS meant to be EOL around 2020 and then burned in the atmosphere?

Commercial ships can raise the ISS up but only Russia has the only vehicle with the proper power to de-orbit the ISS completely, unless NASA gets funding for something else. 

the iss represents that the smartest minds of all country's can work together to achieve something amazing,

now how come governments cant work together, think that says something. it my sound bad but i really wish more governments would defer decisions to scientific like consensus that uses evidence and has to create a detailed argument to be accepted.

Another space race you say? Hell yeah being it on I want to see this happen.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So many homeless/poor people in 'merica and you want them to invest in a fucking space race,i love space,but fix the fucking basic society problems and then make useless goals like the moon.

Space Race v2?

Can't wait. If this does happen, maybe we'll see new tech come out of it in the near future.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This can actually spell certain doom for anything space related. If countries can't collaborate on a global scale to go up into space, individual efforts can only go so far. Right now, the US relies on Russia for going to the ISS, but if either country is serious about going further (read: Mars), it would have to be a collaborative effort.

Too bad that will never happen. 

Space travel and colonization is a completely different game compared to landing on the moon (the first Space Race). Landing on the moon is like a trip to a grocery store. Going to Mars is like trying to swim across the pacific ocean. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

-snip-

How about we cut our over-spending in our defense budget? WAY to many tax-payer dollars are spent on the military-industrial complex.

Space exploration is critical to our scientific progression, which is critical if we want to remain a 'superpower'.

Think of it this way, during Wars, there is always some sort of leap in science and technology because of extra spending on R&D. A properly funded space program is similar to this, except everything is (well, should be) done responsibly with a minimal risk to human lives.

Hopefully I made my point clear enough, I only had a few minutes.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.